this will be my first post to the board .. seeing the Galaxy Note 10.1 is coming out this month and i am not big on having a data plan with the tablet witch one is the better buy? the 2 big thing are the screen size and the sd card. Just thought i ask the community and say i do get the Galaxy Note 10.1 is there a way to drop 4.1 on it instead of having the stock 4.0.. rooting is a given

thanks for you help
    08-06-2012 12:18 PM
    Hard to compare the Nexus 7 to a tablet that will probably cost 3 times as much IMHO.
    08-06-2012 01:10 PM
    Reasons I would not buy a Galaxy Note 10.1.

* It is shipping with Android 4.0. And this is kinda minor because Android 4.1 hasn't been out that long. But compound this with Samsung being glacierially slow with updates and it means it could be a long time before you get Jelly Bean and then that'll probably the last update you go too.

* It is a 10 inch tablet with a 1280x800 resolution. After the iPad 3 and Transformer TF700, a mere 160 DPI screen on a tablet seems disappointing.

* it has no ship date or price yet. Probably won't be too much longer. But this hardly seems like a tablet worth waiting on. And how useful is that stylus going to be to you? You are definitely going to pay for it, is it going to be worth the extra cost? Not to me.

If you are debating between a 7 inch and 10 inch tablet. I think a better comparison would be a Transformer TF700.
    08-06-2012 01:28 PM
    Both tablets are meant for different things, and targeted at a difference audience. Ask your self what you would use the tablet for, then go from there.

I really liked what I saw on the video AC posted this morning. The 10.1 seems like it does some cool things, but I'm not a fan of Samsung and I'm not going to wait forever for OS updates.
    08-06-2012 01:29 PM
    Reasons I would not buy a Galaxy Note 10.1.

* It is a 10 inch tablet with a 1280x800 resolution. After the iPad 3 and Transformer TF700, a mere 160 DPI screen on a tablet seems disappointing.

If you are debating between a 7 inch and 10 inch tablet. I think a better comparison would be a Transformer TF700.
    Yeah, that's a big one. After seeing the hi-def 7, it's hard to go back to plain old displays. I didn't think it would matter, but after looking at a display that shows no jaggies, aliasing, or other ugliness it's pretty [ainful to go back even to my TF201. I'd look at an Asus TF700 before an older display if you want 10". I love the TF700, but still I don't use it nearly as much as the 7.

But really, a 10" and 7" tab are two entirely different animals. They don't seem like they ought to be. But they are. I pick up the 7 without even thinking about it. The 10" I tend to consider what I am going to be doing that day, and do I want to haul it around. With the 7, that question never arises. It just goes. My first choice will almost always be a 7" tab, now that the screen is so good.
    08-06-2012 03:51 PM
    i dont know. i was wondering if i should get a new chevy suburban or porsche panorama!!!! what do you think!
    08-06-2012 08:07 PM
    When I was first considering a tablet, I was sure I wanted a 10 inch, but settled on a Kindle Fire and fell in love with the 7" form factor. It's a one handed device. The Kindle Fire is very limited by hardware, but I don't knock it at all. Let's face it, without the Kindle Fire establishing the price point, there would have been NO Nexus 7.

Hands down the Nexus 7 gets my vote. Get the 16GB version and you won't really worry about storage. Samsung makes good stuff and I love my Galaxy Note, but there's no competition here. Nexus 7 is the winner.
    08-06-2012 10:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD