Can you Beam music?

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 7 and I forgot all about Android Beam until now. So I was playing around beaming web pages, videos, and apps between the two devices. It's pretty sweet.

But I haven't been able to beam music files. I'm guessing this isn't possible? Or maybe there's an app for that?

While on the subject. Any other cool tips for Android beam or any cool apps that take advantage of this feature?

Thanks.

Chocoburger

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I think the file size is currently too large for NFC? Maybe I'm wrong, but so far it seems it can only share very small amounts of information. I'm sure in the future and with better hardware we'll all be sharing 1080p movies in the span of just a minute over NFC. :D

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I think the file size is currently too large for NFC? Maybe I'm wrong, but so far it seems it can only share very small amounts of information. I'm sure in the future and with better hardware we'll all be sharing 1080p movies in the span of just a minute over NFC. :D

I beamed a 50MB 720P music video over. I assume after the initial beam link is made, it switches to wifi to transfer the data. So I think it should be technically possible to do the same with music, just seems the Google Play Music or Player Pro doesn't allow for it.

Chocoburger

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Oh, right, I forgot, NFC is only the 'link' then it can send info/files over WIFI!

Well, I'd imagine if you could send a video you can also send music, but I haven't looked it up. :-\

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I beamed a 50MB 720P music video over. I assume after the initial beam link is made, it switches to wifi to transfer the data. So I think it should be technically possible to do the same with music, just seems the Google Play Music or Player Pro doesn't allow for it.

i would fact check that. That whats Samsung touchwiz does "S-beam".

From what i understand large transfers will go over bluetooth and isn't supported until JB, which means the GN would not work.

martcal

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Why not just install ES File Manager on each device and then transfer any files via Bluetooth, works perfectly for me. P.S. My phone is a Galaxy S2 running ICS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
i would fact check that. That whats Samsung touchwiz does "S-beam".

From what i understand large transfers will go over bluetooth and isn't supported until JB, which means the GN would not work.

You are right. I was doing some more beaming later last night and noticed the bluetooth comes on when doing it. So definitely bluetooth, not wifi. Drat, guess that explains why it's slower than expected with those video files. :)

My Galaxy Nexus has Jelly Bean.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Why not just install ES File Manager on each device and then transfer any files via Bluetooth, works perfectly for me. P.S. My phone is a Galaxy S2 running ICS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I usually use ES Explorer to transfer files. I just was having fun with Beam and thought it seemed a lot more convenient doing it this way and curious it does videos but not music.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci