How do I find files downloaded to the tablet?

newtabletuser

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Unlike a computer, I can't find where downloaded files are on my Nexus tablet. As a brand new tablet user, I sometimes download the same file more than once (not used to a touch screen). They are not saved to the desktop or a folder I create. Sometimes I can't figure out how to delete duplicates (such as pdf files).

What am I missing?

Thank you.

danielmilner

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
There should be an app on your device called "Downloads". All the files you download should be in there.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

newtabletuser

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
There should be an app on your device called "Downloads". All the files you download should be in there.

Thank you. I've tried it and some, but not all of the files, are there. I know can open certain files using a dedicated application (eg.QuickPic for photos), but I'm still having problems with other files. No doubt it's because I'm such a newbie, but I'm trying to learn.

newtabletuser

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
My previous comments must have been beginners luck.

I still can't find many files. For example, I can't find pdf files. When I open Acrobat, it gives me a list of "recents." I'm given the option to "clear recent documents" but, if I do, I don't know where to find them. None are located when I click on documents in the Astro File Manager.

I have several photos on the Nexus, but when I click on Pictures in the Astro file manager, they are not there. Most directories are "empty."

For the few documents (not photos) I do find, I can't even find how to delete them. Is there nothing on an Android tablet the equivalent of a desktop?

Any insights would be sincerely appreciated. Thank you.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Most downloads from the Web in Android go to a folder called (logically if not obviously enough) "download". Try browsing there in your file browser and see if you can find what you are looking for.

newtabletuser

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, natehoy.

I've been checking the download app that is part of the system. So I didn't think I needed to check the download folder in Astro File Manager. I did and found some documents.

I've only had the tablet for about a week; sometimes quite frustrating to learn to use. Saying this, I'm enjoying the challenge...most of the time. ;)

Doug B

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
You can also go into settings and look under storage. There is a tab for downloads. Astro is a great program too.

Swyped from my Jelly Bean infected Galaxy Nexus via Tapatalk 2.

shafferb

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Photos that you take with the N7 are saved in the DCIM folder, typical of digital devices. Be aware that the Downloads program as furnished on the N7 won't show you all files, it doesn't seem to show some with "different" extensions than it recognizes.

However, Astro is a truly amazing product, with it you can find, delete, copy, pretty much anything you want. If you haven't "rooted" the device, you will find it difficult to really mess too much up, as most of the system files and important stuff are available for modification/deletion/renaming only to the "root" or "superuser" account.

Enjoy your new device, and keep coming to the forums, you can get a wealth of information out here, some very knowledgeable and helpful folks out here!

newtabletuser

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Enjoy your new device, and keep coming to the forums, you can get a wealth of information out here, some very knowledgeable and helpful folks out here!

Thank you, too, shafferb for the very helpful information. I have been intensely trying to learn how to use my new tablet and have discovered a number of things by myself. However, I know I'm going to need more help going forward, so thanks for the invitation!

My experience in this forum thus far has been very positive. No one has treated me like my questions are dumb as can sometimes happen in other forums. My area of expertise is digital cameras, not computers or tablets.

I am enjoying the Nex7!

kieranmullen

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
OK ! Thanks It just shows how incomplete the device is. :-( a basic file manager is needed for everyone not just those that have enough sense to go online and ask. people will start to run out of space in a few more months if they bought the device at launch assuming there is not some SRT if cleaning assistance as there is on Microsoft Windows

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Astro is a truly amazing product, with it you can find, delete, copy, pretty much anything you want.

I use ES File Explorer, which I like very much.

Question: does Astro offer the ability to save Favorites, as does ES File Explorer File Manager? For a relatively new, non-techie, tablet user like me, the ability to use favorites to quickly find various file folders, rather than go through a long list, is a blessing..

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I use ES File Explorer, which I like very much.

Question: does Astro offer the ability to save Favorites, as does ES File Explorer File Manager? For a relatively new, non-techie, tablet user like me, the ability to use favorites to quickly find various file folders, rather than go through a long list, is a blessing..

I use this one as well find it real easy to use. Most things will download to download folder web you can just long press the file and move the file to the folder you want. Like today I saved a movie from ky use stick and it went to the movies folder.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Android Central Forums

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I find astro to be extremely bloated. I just need something lean, fast, easy to access and functional, which I find in root explorer. I don't need splash screens or fancy icons, I like to dive right in ;)

OK ! Thanks It just shows how incomplete the device is. :-( a basic file manager is needed for everyone not just those that have enough sense to go online and ask. people will start to run out of space in a few more months if they bought the device at launch assuming there is not some SRT if cleaning assistance as there is on Microsoft Windows

Not really, while a file manager makes it a much easier task if you know what you're doing, you can just as easy go to your "downloads" folder by following the link and deleting from there. Same with pictures, go to gallery and hit the trash can. Android has a learning curve. Such as people that are new to the platform in general probably have no idea what a "long press" is and can possibly spawn menu options on certain screens.

Nishan Doc

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
hai i cudnt find a tab for questionnare.m sorry.even i am having the same problem .but i am able to download pdf files from torrent,but when i try to resume that file it says cant open file.please help me.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, natehoy.

I've been checking the download app that is part of the system. So I didn't think I needed to check the download folder in Astro File Manager. I did and found some documents.

I've only had the tablet for about a week; sometimes quite frustrating to learn to use. Saying this, I'm enjoying the challenge...most of the time. ;)

Yes you do need to check with a file manager.
The system app for downloads is often, if not always incomplete.

If you're used to using a PC, the folder structure is the same on your tablet.
The folders are named differently but the structure is the same.

Downloads from the default browser are in the Download/Downloads folder.

Downloads from 3rd party browsers are in a folder that usually begins with the browser's name.

Sent from my M470BSA

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae