Amazon Prime on the Nexus 7

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Amazon Prime on the nexus 7

Mine is the 16gb Nexus 7 sold by Office depot. I think it upgraded itself to a newer version of jellybean. I added Firefox as an additional browser since Chrome is reputed
not to work with flash. (I don't really know what I am saying or what it means, but I think that is right info)

Doesn't really matter where you bought it - a N7 is the same whether it comes from Office Depot, Staples, Walmart, or straight from Google. You are correct that Chrome does not support flash, the plugin that plays certain web content, including the videos on Amazon Prime Instant Video.

I uninstalled Firefox from mine, so I can't check if full screen works on mine. I use Xscope Pro for my flash website needs.

Yeah and it is *y of them. I pay for my membership and should be able to get a free book a month on any device that has a Kindle app. NOT JUST A KINDLE!!!!

It'd be nice if they made it available to anyone, but they want to sell devices, so I can understand why they do it. And it is the "Kindle Owners' Lending Library", so it's right in the name.

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site

The lending library has always been on Kindle devices only. At one time it didn't even work on the Fire, but I think it does now. I can understand their point of view...they're using it as a reason for folks to buy a Kindle. It's about the only time I use my Kindle any more. These days I much prefer reading on my Nexus.

tbontb

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

OK, I am trying to reach conclusions about Amazon VIDEOS. I am computer-literate but a bit of an old--school newbie on mobile devices. I am deciding between buying a Nexus 7 and a Fire HD. To sum up some of the posts here:

a) On an N7, one can watch streaming Amazon Prime content by loading non-beta Firefox and Adobe Flash (or xScope & Flash). I assume this is both Prime Instant Video (free with Amazon Prime), and purchased videos.
b) 1 or 2 people are having problems getting full-screen to work, not clear to me on which browsers they are having problems, or which ones are not.
c) One can download Amazon purchased videos to a Fire, or to a PC using the Amazon "Unbox" app. Not to anything else (I learned all this from the Amazon site). Does anyone know if you can take a file downloaded to Unbox on the PC and move it to a N7 to play? Or maybe I should just rely on a laptop for airplane viewing.
d) One cannot download Prime Instant Videos (free with Amazon Prime) to any device, Nexus or Fire (I learned this from the Amazon site).

Please confirm or correct me. Thank you!

Last edited:

tbontb

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Now I am trying to reach conclusions about Amazon Books. I am deciding between buying a Nexus 7 and a Fire HD. To sum up some of the posts here:

a) I can download and read purchased digital books from Amazon on any device using the Kindle for Android app. I don't know if it can be downloaded/moved from one device to another.
b) I can download and listen to purchased spoken books on the N7 (or my Razor Maxx) through the Audible for Android app.
c) One cannot access the Amazon Kindle Lending Library books except on a Kindle.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Now I am trying to reach conclusions about Amazon Books. I am deciding between buying a Nexus 7 and a Fire HD. To sum up some of the posts here:

a) I can download and read purchased digital books from Amazon on any device using the Kindle for Android app. I don't know if it can be downloaded/moved from one device to another.
b) I can download and listen to purchased spoken books on the N7 (or my Razor Maxx) through the Audible for Android app.
c) One cannot access the Amazon Kindle Lending Library books except on a Kindle.

a) Amazon e-books can be downloaded onto multiple devices at once. I don't recall what the limit is, but I haven't had any issues with downloading books to my Kindle and an additional two devices at the same time. I hit the limit once when I switched phones, but was able to download the books after I deauthorized my old phone through Amazon's web site.

c) That is correct. I still have my e-ink Kindle 2 so I can access the lending library.

tbontb

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

a) Amazon e-books can be downloaded onto multiple devices at once. I don't recall what the limit is, but I haven't had any issues with downloading books to my Kindle and an additional two devices at the same time. I hit the limit once when I switched phones, but was able to download the books after I deauthorized my old phone through Amazon's web site.

c) That is correct. I still have my e-ink Kindle 2 so I can access the lending library.

Thanks for the reply, this helps.

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

The limit is set by the publisher so it varies. Some are unlimited, some are limited to 5 devices, etc.

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site

I have a Kindle Touch, 2 Fires, my phone and my N7 on my amazon account. I've not run into a limit yet on what books I can deliver to devices (but there may be one). There is a hard limit of two devices on movies that you buy and you can only use the lending library on a kindle device. I cannot get a lending library book on my N7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Ulairi

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site

OK, I am trying to reach conclusions about Amazon VIDEOS. I am computer-literate but a bit of an old--school newbie on mobile devices. I am deciding between buying a Nexus 7 and a Fire HD. To sum up some of the posts here:

a) On an N7, one can watch streaming Amazon Prime content by loading non-beta Firefox and Adobe Flash (or xScope & Flash). I assume this is both Prime Instant Video (free with Amazon Prime), and purchased videos.
b) 1 or 2 people are having problems getting full-screen to work, not clear to me on which browsers they are having problems, or which ones are not.
c) One can download Amazon purchased videos to a Fire, or to a PC using the Amazon "Unbox" app. Not to anything else (I learned all this from the Amazon site). Does anyone know if you can take a file downloaded to Unbox on the PC and move it to a N7 to play? Or maybe I should just rely on a laptop for airplane viewing.
d) One cannot download Prime Instant Videos (free with Amazon Prime) to any device, Nexus or Fire (I learned this from the Amazon site).

You do not need to do anything special to download amazon videos onto a Fire device. You never touch the unboxing app. You just pick to download the movie on your Fire. If you're in the Amazon ecosystem and wish to use Android, get the Fire HD. I would love a Nexus 7 but until Amazon releases their Prime video app for Android, I'm not making the jump.

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

Firefox did not work fullscreen for me. But I downloaded XScope browser (it ended up costing I think $2), as it was the only one that worked. After installing flash and using that browser, it worked!

Scott Greenstone

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

Using the X-Scope Browser with Flash, can I download Amazon Prime videos or is it only for streaming as stated above? I would love this download capability for times I am traveling and dont have WiFi.

Thanks in advance.

razter

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

Amazon Prime videos will play on Puffin browser, but has anyone been able to play them full screen?

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Amazon Prime videos will play on Puffin browser, but has anyone been able to play them full screen?

Are you asking about full screen in Puffin, or in general? Full screen works fine for me in xScope, but I haven't tried Puffin.

razter

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

I was asking about Puffin browser because it already has the flash. I could play the videos, but couldn't get them to play full screen.
I followed the instructions to install flash and bought the Xscope browser. I can now watch the movies full screen.
Thank You.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Does this still work with the new OS update? Also, if it works on the N7, is it (reasonably) safe to assume it will work on a N4 as well?

Steve Brinkhoff

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

I think hat they mean i that you can be a sort of "restricted" Amazon Prime member if someone who has paid for it adds you. However, you don't get all the bennies as a "free" member - including free streaming. You do get the upgraded free shipping on purchased items, but to get the full range of benefits you have to pay the $80

dinek

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site

I keep getting the message "video can't be watched on this device" after trying to access with flash and Xscope browser. Is there a "special" way to get to it so I can watch on my Nexus 7?