Why I Jumped Ship & Went Samsung

sulaco

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I pre-ordered a Nexus 7 from Sam's Club. I found out they had some in stock locally so I called and cancelled my pre-order and went by and picked one up. I love it initially and had no problems at all. I got on the internet and read up on some forums (these mostly) and saw where lots of people were having trouble with the display separation issue. I checked and sure enough, mind had it in spades.

I decided to try out the screw tightening fix and it didn't help at all. I decided to just deal with it and kept it a week or so. During that week, Sam's sent my pre-order anyway! I was surprised but opened it and decided to see if it also suffered from the display separation issue. It did, although not nearly as bad. I tried the screw tightening fix with it and it didn't help. I decided to return the first one as defective and kept the second one. A week or so went by and the display began to raise up more and more with use. I returned it as defective also.

A few days later I heard OfficeDepot had some in stock so I went and picked one up during our tax-free weekend. It was PERFECT! No display separation. Well, a week or so went by and I went to use Google Now/Voice and the mic didn't work. I tried all the fixes and none worked. The mic just didn't work. I was really bummed. This one would have been perfect otherwise. So I exchanged it and got what has been the worst of the display separation models I've seen yet. I promptly returned it.

I decided to try out one more Asus product and went to BestBuy and got the Transformer Infinity. Amazing tablet. Unfortunately someone at Asus dropped it because it had a large dent in the aluminum cover and more light bleed than I've ever seen in an LCD panel. It was really quite ridiculous. I've now sworn off Asus forever.

I decided to try out the new iPad and I still hate iOS so I returned it and got the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. I'm keeping this one. It's perfect. Sure, it's a tad bit laggy (TouchWhiz) and not quite as fast as the Nexus 7, but it's very well made and I'm keeping it.

So to recap, out of 4 Nexus 7 tablets, 3 had significant display separation and one had a DOA microphone. The only other Asus tablet I've tried, the Infinity, was crap as well.

Google, stop messing about and use Motorola for your Nexus products!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the 7 early on did have some problems. But to swear off Asus because someone dropped and broke it is, frankly, somewhat idiotic reasoning. If you had stopped at the 7 you would have been ok. Would you swear off Honda because some dealer hit a tree with the demo and broke a headlight?

Samsung - you should have gotten the 7 Plus. And dump the UI and get Go Launcher. The Samsung without Touchwiz is a different beast.

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
cd9081dc-1d8b-40a3.jpg

cd9081dc-1d99-a899.jpg

I have a nexus7 and I do not have screen seperation at all. But cool story anyways bro.

And unicorns make rainbows and not lepercons. :)

dsuppa

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
yeah, Asus does have some QC issues which I think everyone knows, but the N7 is just so damn smooth(blows away my Transformer Prime in performance). I have one now with screen separation which I will be returning over and over and over until I get a good one.

dparrothead1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have never understood why someone would post on a product forum that they were leaving. And then to bore the crap out of everyone with the reasons.

I mean, in the grand scheme of things........who cares??????

flacousa

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Customer from hell I bet the clerks at Staples and Best buy cringe when they see you walking through the doors.

No separations, bleeds, dimming, here, happy as a dog with a newly found bone.

Sent from my Nexus 7

ricktat

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes the forums help you from thinking you are crazy. Some complaints are valid and others arent. The screen seperation is an issue. The dead touch screen is an issue.. The dead mics are an issue.

I had a Captivate 2 years ago. I thought I was crazy for 2 months because the phone kept shutting off in my pocket. read here and found out it was common and was a problem.

I never really thought the Nexus 7 was that much faster than Galaxy tab 2. It still lagged for me. Jelly bean seems no better than ICS either... Just my opinion.

Now the screen resolution drove me crazy on the Tab 2. The Nexus 7 isnt an Ipad res but isnt bad either.

Jussumguy88

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I got mine from staples and haven't had any issues thus far. There is/was some very slight screen separation on this unit, but not enough to drive me insane. It was barely noticeable. I wouldn't have noticed it, if I didn't know that was an issue with some units. Choose not to use Asus anymore? That's cool, but I for one, am enjoying the hell out of my nexus 7.

Return your Samsung 7 and grab a Galaxy note 10.1 though. I wanna see how that is. Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
It's annoying that so many of these ASUS tablets have screen separation issues. However I'm certain I'd rather have a defective Nexus 7 than a perfect Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.

Downgrading to a TI OMAP 4430 and a 1024x600 resolution display just wouldn't be acceptable. Not to mention Samsung reputation for updating once and abandoning.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Downgrading to a TI OMAP 4430 and a 1024x600 resolution display just wouldn't be acceptable. Not to mention Samsung reputation for updating once and abandoning.

+1

Not gonna pay more to downgrade. Good luck with your Sammy but my N7 is flawless so I'm keeping this baby! :D

agunjal

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I bought a N7 but wanted a Sammy 7.7 due to LTE and SD Card.....I have both right now and I want to throw the 7.7 out the window for lagging and smoothness....The 7.7 is going back tonight

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought a N7 but wanted a Sammy 7.7 due to LTE and SD Card.....I have both right now and I want to throw the 7.7 out the window for lagging and smoothness....The 7.7 is going back tonight

I was considering getting the Sammy 7.7 too but went with the N7 instead... Glad I did. Does it really lag THAT bad that you want to toss it o a window and are returning it? :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol