I Almost Jumped off the Android Ship

masterpfa

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Quite a few suggestions I see.

I have been on the Nexus train since the Nexus One and for me personally the only way to go, so currently have the Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus, a combination you can't go too far wrong with.

But as has also been suggested there are a number of phones that you could consider too.
In order of my preference

1.Samsung Galaxy SIII
2.Samsung Note II (OK not official but as good as, from end of August)
3. HTC One X

If you can wait, I would gamble on a new Nexus phone, although no rumours or mentions, there has been one released every year since 2010, usually anywhere between November to January.

Each to their own but Vanilla Android the flavour I like best.
:cool:

gpdaddy95

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Since picking up the Nexus 7, my phone battery (EVO 4G LTE) lasts almost two days! Now I'm looking forward to an update on my phone. JB isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than anything before it. Google Now shows a lot of promise.

evilhunter101

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Don't get a Galaxy Nexus. It is a decent phone, but it has many flaws. More importantly, it is over half a year old now. The next Nexus phone will surely demolish the Galaxy Nexus in every way.

If you can handle the wait, put cm7 on your Incredible. If you can't, the best hardware on Verizon is undoubtedly the Galaxy S3 which, if you don't mind hacking, recently had a way to unlock the bootloader be released. This is the route I would take if I had an upgrade. It will be extremely hard for the next Nexus manufacturer to beat the Galaxy S3.

Good luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site

evilhunter101

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
True, but looking at past Nexii, it is easy to see that Google isn't interested in having top of the line processors/technology in their phones. The Galaxy Nexus could've been better with an Exynos(with its better gpu), but instead got the somewhat lackluster OMAP 4460.

Simply put, while I hope for a quad core S4 or equivalent, I'll be extremely surprised if the next Nexus has anything better than a dual core S4 or equivalent. Also, I've been wondering when Google will release an Intel powered Nexus device. The timing would seem perfect for such a monstrosity.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy Nexus!

GNex+N7 in my opinion is the perfect pair!
Although I have the gsm version, but still that's my 2? :)

This might sound strange, but my HTC Rezound on Gingerbread and custom ROM (Scott's cleanROM 1.7 GBE) rooted with the GB wifi Infrastructure fix is absolute!! with the N7. I never take my Rezound off 4G (unlimited data, grandfathered - for now anyway), never have to worry about finding wifi somewhere for my N7 because I have it in my pocket.

ICS means nothing on the Rezound for me, I know it is for others. I'm rockin' and lovin' it.

brunnels

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
My advices would be you have two choices, either grab the current nexus or wait for the next nexus. The GSIII, One X, Razr all sound great right now but a year from now they will all be in the same situation that your in right now, old phones with decent specs that no longer are supported with updates and will be stuck with aging software. This is the reason that the only android devices i buy are GSM nexus devices. They may not be the best phones hardware wise, but having the best hardware isnt so great when your still on last years version of android. And if you grab a nexus avoid the carrier versions and grab the GSM version from the google play store, the carrier versions arent really true nexus devices since they dont rely on google for their updates.

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
That's really sweet, other than the size factor issue (for some people), it almost seems like there are no drawbacks to doing this, and you save so much money. Did you transfer your Verizon phone number to Google Voice after your contract was up?

Perhaps I'm missing something, but what good is an immobile mobile phone? No WiFi = No phone = No good, right? Or is there some way you're hooking the N7 into a cellular network?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I agree with everyone who is saying the original incredible was great if rooted and cm installed on it. I've had mine since launch day. I had cm7 then cm9 on it and the battery would last me all day with heavy use. Didn't have any issues with it even after my kids dropping it many many times and even getting dropped into water 3 times, lol. A few weeks ago a friend offered me his few month old gnex for 200$ so I couldn't pass. Now my very loved Dinc is my kids game and media device.

After my great history with the Dinc and reading your original post, I would guess you weren't rooted and ran HTC sense on it, which drained the battery and ran slow. I had other friends with dincs that would complained with same issues you had and I would root and put cm7 on it and they would call me a week later thanking m saying how they couldn't believe it was the same phone and how they were so close to buying a new phone before contract was up.

I love my apple devices too, but I REALLY love my androids :D

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
for god sakes dont get a branded phone like the maxx or Evo.. if you get the s3 you have to put a rom on it imo.... My recommendation would be to buy a VZW Nexus on the secondary market like ebay or something but just make sure it works and has a good ESN.. that way you wont have to use your upgrade or sign a new contract so if and when the new nexus comes out in the fall you arent locked in for another whole year.

rustycaterpillar

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
After my great history with the Dinc and reading your original post, I would guess you weren't rooted and ran HTC sense on it, which drained the battery and ran slow. I had other friends with dincs that would complained with same issues you had and I would root and put cm7 on it and they would call me a week later thanking m saying how they couldn't believe it was the same phone and how they were so close to buying a new phone before contract was up.

Yea it is running sense, and I consider myself fairly tech savy but have not rooted this thing it sounds like that is what I need to do and then wait until the new hardware comes out in the fall.

Chocoburger

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps I'm missing something, but what good is an immobile mobile phone? No WiFi = No phone = No good, right? Or is there some way you're hooking the N7 into a cellular network?

He stated prior to my comment that he signed up for Verizon's "MIFI" $50 a month service. It's a tiny device that creates a WIFI signal where ever you are. Which means he has WIFI all the time.

But yes, he does have to carry two devices minimum in order to use his N7 as a phone.

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
He stated prior to my comment that he signed up for Verizon's "MIFI" $50 a month service. It's a tiny device that creates a WIFI signal where ever you are. Which means he has WIFI all the time.

But yes, he does have to carry two devices minimum in order to use his N7 as a phone.

Thanks for the clarification.

Thread hijack: I've been trying to find a way to set up an affordable hot spot using my Verizon Motorola Droid2, to no avail. I'm due for a new phone in September -- anyone got a suggested model with proven hot spot capability that doesn't use Verizons stupidly expensive app?

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification.

Thread hijack: I've been trying to find a way to set up an affordable hot spot using my Verizon Motorola Droid2, to no avail. I'm due for a new phone in September -- anyone got a suggested model with proven hot spot capability that doesn't use Verizons stupidly expensive app?

I assume you have the old unlimited plan and don't want to lose it? Because all the new plans include hotspot free.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
If you really want the stock look wait for the next Nexus this fall.

If you are a little more open to skinds I would suggest looking at the HTC Droid Incredible HD or Rezound, or the Droid Razr MAX (HD version expected this fall)

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I assume you have the old unlimited plan and don't want to lose it? Because all the new plans include hotspot free.

Yep. Any change I make costs me unlimited data.

Is there any way around Verizon's plan? I looked at stand alone hotspots at Worst Buy tonight, but they are as much as Verizon's deal.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Yep. Any change I make costs me unlimited data.

Is there any way around Verizon's plan? I looked at stand alone hotspots at Worst Buy tonight, but they are as much as Verizon's deal.

Buy a device full retail or buy from a third party.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech