Hi. First post, hello all.

UK user and Android newbie.

I am trying to use music on my Nexus. I sync fine (.wma files, which should be supported, right?) via USB (Win 7 / WMP to Android device). But the music files don't show up anywhere on the device. I've downloaded realplayer and tried the google music app already installed but... nothing.

It's driving me nuts. I've never come across a device where it's so tricky to do something so simple. Any help appreciated.

Airfix.
    08-18-2012 07:33 AM
    Hi and welcome! I'm new to Android too so bare with me but I believe you might need a file explorer to find the music files you put on your N7 and move them to the proper folder.

Note: The music files have to be DRM-free.

Free file explorers from the Google Play store: ES File Explorer, Solid Explorer and Astro File Explorer to name a few.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable comes long and chimes in.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapat DRM-free alk 2
    08-18-2012 08:37 AM
    I don't know how to get the nexus 7 to scan for media files. On my phone I just unmount and remount the sdcard. Rebooting the nexus 7 should cause a rescan.

You can try uploading the files to Google music using the computer app and then they should show up in the Google play music app on your nexus 7

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    08-18-2012 08:39 AM
    I'm in the UK. Google Play doesn't work for me.
    08-18-2012 08:42 AM
    Thanks for the replies didn't want to be rude. The reason I'm annoyed is that Android is meant to be about cross-platform compatibility (the reason I'm not into Apple) yet here I am unable to perform an astonishingly simple task, plus Google can't be bothered to roll out a core service to Europe. Sheesh. I should be able to sync and play music easily, out of the box without d/l apps FFS.
    08-18-2012 08:45 AM
    On my Thunderbolt I used to use an app called "Rescan Media". It forced a media rescan. Worked well for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    08-18-2012 08:45 AM
    So I downloaded es file explorer and moved my music files into the android music file.

Nothing. Neither real player nor google music player recognise it.

08-18-2012 08:58 AM
    On my Thunderbolt I used to use an app called "Rescan Media". It forced a media rescan. Worked well for me.

Thanks. But rather than using workarounds, do you know if this is meant to work 'as is?'
    08-18-2012 08:59 AM
    Nexus 7 doesn't support WMA files out of the box, straight from the specs. You have to convert MP3.

http://tools4android.com/2012/08/gui...exus-7-tablet/

08-18-2012 09:07 AM
    Sadly that link is an advert for a thirty dollar piece of software.
    08-18-2012 09:26 AM
    Sadly that link is an advert for a thirty dollar piece of software.
    You only need the app to remove DRM protection. You still haven't stated whether your files have DRM or not. You can convert WMA to MP3 with dozens of free programs.
    08-18-2012 10:59 AM
    If being clueless means being surprised that extremely basic functions like playing a piece of music is impossible straight out of the box then mea culpa.

There's a difference between bloatware and basic functionality.
    08-18-2012 11:43 AM
    Ah the old "I'm an expert but I'm not telling you find out yourself" trick.

And there was me thinking the whole point of the exercise was to ask questions.
    08-18-2012 12:14 PM
    Did you rip the files yourself? Or were they purchased? If they're not DRMed, try PowerAmp which supports WMA.
    08-18-2012 03:38 PM
    I don't think this is Android's problem at all. If they're non-drmed WMA files, just convert them to MP3 and stick them in the Music directory. If you did it right, Google Music should see it and let you play them.

If you don't want to convert to mp3, I'm sure theres an app that will let you play wma's.
    08-18-2012 04:02 PM
    At no point has Google stated the device would play WMA files out of the box. If you assumed they would I don't see how they are to blame when the documentation states they won't. You may as well complain about it not making toast while you are at it.

KreepyKen and gnice18 like this.
    08-18-2012 05:32 PM
    If being clueless means being surprised that extremely basic functions like playing a piece of music is impossible straight out of the box then mea culpa.

There's a difference between bloatware and basic functionality.
    WMA isn't a standard music format, it is a proprietary Microsoft format, and presumably there are licencing fees associated with it and since it isn't essential functionality (most music is in MP3 or AAC format) Google would want to avoid paying unnecessary fees to one of its main competitors if it can possibly avoid it (probably also one of the reasons they didn't include a SD slot or even USB drive support out of the box, since there are Microsoft patents on the FAT filesystem).

08-19-2012 09:09 AM
    One more thing. You talk about it being so hard to use the Nexus 7, and how it's not designed to be easy. (In general bashing).

But compared to something like an IPhone, where you have to sync and use its proprietary iTunes crap, Androids drag and drop is much easier. Just the fact that Android isn't requiring you to use some other software to access the device makes it better.
    08-19-2012 04:06 PM
    Here's an ehow article on how to do it: How to Convert WMA to MP3 Using Windows Media Player | eHow.com

It does require a third party, free software called Switch, but it pretty well walks you through converting from WMA to MP3.
    08-19-2012 10:54 PM
    I'm in the UK. Google Play doesn't work for me.
    All you need to do is make your computer think it's in America using proxies to register Google play once that's Done you can upload your collection and stream away. 10000 tracks takes time to upload mind.

08-20-2012 01:36 AM
    Is there actually a list of music formats the N7 supports? I just had a look over the Play and Nexus support sites, and if they have a list, it's well hidden. A Google search just throws up sites shilling conversion software. I know previous Nexus devices haven't supported WMA (a shame, because that's what most of my music is ripped in - IMO it's got better sound quality than other formats except something like FLAC), but what else will it accept? OGG? No list anywhere that I can see.
    08-20-2012 09:31 AM
    Supported filetypes - Google Play Help

Found int he google play help section. It shows WMA as supported, so I'd say it's because it's DRM'd somehow.
    08-20-2012 11:23 AM
    Supported filetypes - Google Play Help

Found int he google play help section. It shows WMA as supported, so I'd say it's because it's DRM'd somehow.
    Your link is to the Google Play uploader, not supported filetypes for the Nexus devices. In the case of WMA files at are uploaded to Play, they're actually transcoded to mp3s before transmission using the codecs that are built into Windows. But that's not really relevant to the question of what the Nexus devices, and 7 specifically, support.
    08-20-2012 12:27 PM
    My mistake, I'm sorry. I misinterpreted something somewhere. >_< That happens when I'm only running on a few hours of sleep. Lol.
    08-20-2012 12:46 PM
    This is the only thing that EVER works for me. Rebooting the device and any of the Media Scanner did absolutely nothing for me, the only thing that will force the device to recognize the mp3 files is to literally move the files from one location to another, it's a real pain in the ***, I don't know why this is happening (I used to have an HTC, never had this happened before), I hope the Nexus 7 team are working on a solution for this.
    03-25-2014 03:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD