Hot Spot - What's Best?

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to find the least expensive way to set up a WiFi Hot Spot. This will be at an airplane hangar that is seldom used, so I am looking for cheap, maybe pay-as-you-go, if there is such a thing.

Advice? Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

gaijin82

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
The best way (and cheapest...if you have unlimited data) is to use your smartphone (android) with foxfi. Then you can use a signal booster to expand the range. If you don't have a smartphone, then......?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The best way (and cheapest...if you have unlimited data) is to use your smartphone (android) with foxfi. Then you can use a signal booster to expand the range. If you don't have a smartphone, then......?

I have a Droid2 with Verizon and unlimited data. I downloaded FoxFi last week, because it claimed to do exactly what I wanted.

No joy. It just sat there, stupidly, providing no connection. Basically it did the same thing as the built in app -- you can connect to it, but it just takes you to Verizon's "buy now" page.

An ideas how to work around this?

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
is it wanting you to buy a tethering plan? (i don't know anything about verizon and tethering.)

there is also Verizon mifi prepaid weekly, monthly, or yearly. probably a better option if you didn't have a smart phone. you buy the $130 device that providers WiFi data.

if you have to buy a tethering plan I imagine you could just turn it off on months you don't use it. I don't think you'd have to sign up for a year. but I don't know.

ydh2323

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
i have d2 global, and nexus 7 with foxfi on my d2 w unlimited data on vzw works pretty good, not a terribly fast connection but i can live with it for now

jimbarr

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I use my rooted Droid Bionic with WiFi Tether v3.2-beta1 and the SQLlite tweak. My Nexus 7 connects quickly and 'net access is as solid as on my phone.

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
is it wanting you to buy a tethering plan? (i don't know anything about verizon and tethering.)

Yeah, that's where I end up -- on a Verizon splash screen, saying "You can't do this without signing up for just $29.95/month, blah blah blah..."

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I have spent the last 20 minutes effing with FoxFi. My Nexus detects no broadcast WiFi from my Motorola Droid2 unless the Verizon hotspot app is turned on. Thus, I get the Verizon splash screen.

With Foxfi showing "Hotspot On", if I turn the Verizon app off, I get nothing. My devices see no WiFi signal at all.

In the Foxfi documentation they mention that the app will not work on a Motorola Droid1. I wonder if its FUBAR on a Droid2, too?

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I work with someone with a Droid 3. He got this pop-up and found a way around it, it required turning on airplane mode and doing something, but I didn't follow what he had to do from that point. I thought the foxfi app had a help link that told him how to do this. He has unlimited, so it's a matter of finding out the steps required. Sorry I can't help with that, I have a Droid 4 and it works fine.

zippox180#AC

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
get PDAnet tablet on the nexus then it works

Download PDAnet on the tablet and foxfi on the phone. I use Bluetooth instead of WiFi so I don't go through battery as much and I still get decent speeds. Just turn on foxfi Bluetooth and then PDAnet on the tablet and pair the two. Should work.

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Download PDAnet on the tablet and foxfi on the phone. I use Bluetooth instead of WiFi so I don't go through battery as much and I still get decent speeds. Just turn on foxfi Bluetooth and then PDAnet on the tablet and pair the two. Should work.

Wow -- it works! I'm attached via Bluetooth to my Droid2 right now, using PDAnet. Sweet!

Thanks for the tips, all.

javaboy#AC

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to chime in. I have a Samsung Nexus on Verizon with the unlimited data plan (the grandfathered one). I installed FoxFi and my Nexus 7 is now on the internet. Couldn't have been easier.

And to think I almost dropped the grandfathered plan and went with one of VZWs data plans so that I could do hot spot.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site

there is also Verizon mifi prepaid weekly, monthly, or yearly. probably a better option if you didn't have a smart phone. you buy the $130 device that providers WiFi data.

if you have to buy a tethering plan I imagine you could just turn it off on months you don't use it. I don't think you'd have to sign up for a year. but I don't know.

This is the correct answer.

TemporalBeef

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
SVTP works really well, although it is a paid app. No problems whatsoever on my s3 hotspotting my nexus 7. Very fast, no dropped connections, no vzw splash screen, etc. Quality.

jpmist

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I use a NetZero 4g wireless router for my N7.

Don't use it much because I have so much free wifi access where I hang out, but for commuting and using Maps & GPS it's great.

You can get a plan where 200mb a month is free for 12 months when you buy the hotspot from NetZero for $140 or so. After 12 months you can spring for a $10 500mb plan.

No contract, monthly billing. If you have 4G where you live it's a pretty good service.

teckee

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to chime in. I have a Samsung Nexus on Verizon with the unlimited data plan (the grandfathered one). I installed FoxFi and my Nexus 7 is now on the internet. Couldn't have been easier.

And to think I almost dropped the grandfathered plan and went with one of VZWs data plans so that I could do hot spot.
Good to know! I've got the same gear, will try it out, altho where I use the N7 there is usually wifi available.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech