I want to use a different tone for my default notification, so I copied one of the tones I use on my Galaxy Nexus to the tablet. I put the tone in the Notifications folder just like it is on my GN, but when I select notifications from the settings menu the new tone does not appear in the list.

Does anyone know where the tones are stored on the Nexus 7 tablet?
    08-20-2012 04:23 PM
    /system/media/audio

Rootbrain
    08-20-2012 10:55 PM
    And it's under /root. You will need root and a root file manager to copy, just FYI.

Rootbrain
    08-20-2012 10:57 PM
    I exported from Dropbox to my notifications folder and the mp3 showed up when I went to change my email alert tone. I am not rooted.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    08-21-2012 11:20 AM
    I exported from Dropbox to my notifications folder and the mp3 showed up when I went to change my email alert tone. I am not rooted.

Hmmm, maybe the app you used to get from Dropbox to the device has a work around. Good to know it's possible.
    08-21-2012 03:22 PM
    Only used the Dropbox app. Long-pressed the file, chose export, selected "sd card," and then the notifications folder. Hope you can get it to work.

08-21-2012 06:47 PM
    Thanks. I suspect the stock notifications on the GN are also in system yet when I browse them in settings the phone lists my custom notifications along with stock. This seems like a problem in JB because I should be able to select a custom tone from the list just like I can from my phone that is running ICS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    08-22-2012 01:53 PM
    ES File Explorer will do it without root as well. It can be n any folder, just select it with a long tap and an option to make it a notification sound comes up.
    08-22-2012 02:35 PM
    Problem solved. Instead of copying the tone into notifications I copied it into the ringtones folder. Once I moved it to the notifications folder the tone shows up in the default notifications settings. I guess I was having an ***** day.
    08-22-2012 05:37 PM
    Yes I was able to do that as well on my Verizon Galaxy Note 2....export from dropbox to media: notifications.
    10-29-2013 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD