Tired of all the touchscreen problems: returning my N7

Traveler5

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
That may be true. On the other hand, I assume you turn the screen off for a moment to clean it? Turning the screen off temporarily is about the only workaround. :)

I noticed this happening immediately after installing the Swype Beta last week. Since I don't use it on my Nexus any more, I may try uninstalling it tonight. A LOT of the threads I've read on XDA and the Google bug site mention Swype, so I'm wondering if that might be a contributor...?

I've never had Swype on my N7 and have never played any games on it either. Other than Google's apps, all I have on my N7 is Amazon's book reader, Dolphin browser, and a couple other similar apps that have been around along time and should be stable and compatible. I re-downloaded only these four apps after doing a complete hard-reset/wipe of the device. I still have problems. So I don't think it's any one app that's causing this.

mmaestro

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Please let us all know if the replacement tablet fixes the issue, because this is often crazy-making for me, and I've been hoping for a software update to fix it. But if it's a hardware issue, it would be nice to have that confirmed.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Please let us all know if the replacement tablet fixes the issue, because this is often crazy-making for me, and I've been hoping for a software update to fix it. But if it's a hardware issue, it would be nice to have that confirmed.

I highly doubt a replacement will fix it because of a few things:

1. People with both c70 and c60 devices have this issue (and those were different runs of the tablet)

2. A number of replacement tablets have the same screen issues as the problem ones (e.g. my replacement flickers just like the original)

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
My screen also loses it's responsiveness if i leave my tablet on for days on end, but a quick power-off and restart has always a solved my issues.

Traveler5

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
not saying cleaning will fix it, but don't draw ANY inference from the fact you have other devices that work when the screens are dirty--that's falling into the trap of TOO MUCH ASSUMPTION. trust me on that one. Not all screens have the same level of sensitivity.

Yeah, I agree.

Traveler5

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I highly doubt a replacement will fix it because of a few things:

1. People with both c70 and c60 devices have this issue (and those were different runs of the tablet)

2. A number of replacement tablets have the same screen issues as the problem ones (e.g. my replacement flickers just like the original)

Keep in mind that most N7's out there work just fine. Getting a new one is better than keeping what I have now that I know doesn't work.

Last edited:

Traveler5

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Try turning off all the animation settings. I did an hour ago and so far no problems. Not sure what the drawback is to doing that but it seems to be doing the trick. So far.

devilshunter

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I seem to have narrowed down what causes multitouch issues, at least for my nexus 7. All tests were done on Multitouch Visible Test

1) There were issues when my nexus 7 was in the leather case that I bought very recently. Touch registrations were on and off, and sometimes displaying incorrect points (ie showing 3 dots when i only had 2 fingers on) When i took it out of the case, the problems seem to have went away. Im thinking the magnets in the case may have something to do with it.

2) With tablet out of the case, i laid the device flat on a desk surface. At first, no problems were seen with the test. However, i started applying more pressure to the tablet and the touch registrations started going wack.

3) Tablet is still out of the case, and holding it with hand. No issues at all, regardless of pressure.

I was freaking out today cuz i started seeing touchscreen problems during gaming and during this test. At the end of the day, the solution for me was to take it out of the leather case and hold the tablet in my hand for best results during gaming that requires multitouch. Maybe some of you will have the same luck as me?

Traveler5

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I seem to have narrowed down what causes multitouch issues, at least for my nexus 7. All tests were done on Multitouch Visible Test

1) There were issues when my nexus 7 was in the leather case that I bought very recently. Touch registrations were on and off, and sometimes displaying incorrect points (ie showing 3 dots when i only had 2 fingers on) When i took it out of the case, the problems seem to have went away. Im thinking the magnets in the case may have something to do with it.

2) With tablet out of the case, i laid the device flat on a desk surface. At first, no problems were seen with the test. However, i started applying more pressure to the tablet and the touch registrations started going wack.

3) Tablet is still out of the case, and holding it with hand. No issues at all, regardless of pressure.

I was freaking out today cuz i started seeing touchscreen problems during gaming and during this test. At the end of the day, the solution for me was to take it out of the leather case and hold the tablet in my hand for best results during gaming that requires multitouch. Maybe some of you will have the same luck as me?

Mine is not in a case when I use it so I'm always holding the N7 "naked" -- (not me, the device). I do have a neoprene zippered case I put it in when not using it. Maybe it's static causing the problem? I don't know. What I do know is that my replacement, according to UPS' website, was delivered to my home about 20 minutes ago. I'll give N7#2 a whirl when I get home from work.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
this all reminds me of the issues with the BB Storm's touch screen--if you set the phone down on a hard surface and tried to click on something, pretty much every sample of the phone would exhibit a distinct inability to register a click. if you picked up the phone, it worked fine. I had several Storms and sure enough they did that very same thing.

Moral of the story: don't use the product in a manner that will probably cause problems and irritate you. :) (ie, I can't set my N7 on the arm of my lazyboy,, because if I'm not holding it, the screen response goes to hell)

InclusionInnovates

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Just receive my Nexus 7 and having the same issues ... the screen has become very unresponsive to the point I have to tap commands 2 or 3 times ... very disappointing ... just got my refund email ... I think I will simply wait for the next model

Last edited:

InclusionInnovates

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I found this solution on XDA Developers

Fixed my touch screen problems!

I purchased my Nexus 7 from Staples during business trip to San Francisco. My device started having touch screen issues after few hours. Factory reset did fix it and I liked the device a lot so I didn't return it as I thought touch screen issue was just a SW glitch. Issue came back at the airport . Unfortunately I didn't have time to return the device at that point. Issue wasn't manifesting itself all the time, but seemed to come up every time I plugged the device in charger. Symptoms were exactly as in this video:

Nexus 7 Touch screen problem defect - YouTube

and the other one in which multitouch is demonstrated. I suspected different applications as a reason to the problem as well as faulty charger. Then I found this thread and became assured that this must be a HW problem.

As I'm living in Finland and don't know when my next business trip to USA will take place I decided to try and fix the problem myself. I took off the back cover and touch screen worked perfectly. Initially I suspected grounding problem but pretty soon came to conclusion that it can not be the case. The problem in my case was the "sponge" pushing (what I assume is) display / touch flex. I have marked that in the attached picture. Even a very light touch to sponge caused touch screen to go crazy. As I don't have the luxury of immediate warranty repair I decided to remove the sponge and my Nexus 7 has been working flawlessly ever since. I can even charge and everything works as expected. When I started charging the device I placed my Nexus 7 on the table. It probably caused slightly increased pressure on back cover and therefore to "sponge". After removing the sponge I can't see any of the touch screen problems I was having. Couldn't be happier as I don't have any of the other problems people have found and device is working as it should, at least for now.
I don't encourage anyone to do what I did, but if you are in the same situation as I was with imported device, you can try to take off back cover and see if the problems are fixed. You should be very careful though not to break the device especially when it's powered on with back cover off. Hope this helps someone.

EDIT: 22.8.2012. Forgot to mention, that turn of WiFi if using device with back cover off. Turning off NFC and GPS won't hurt, although GPS is receiving only. Reason is that antennas are located on back cover.

timothyh

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
JD914----Very Helpful! Sure is nice to see that many problems are caused by the user. I'm trolling to decide if I really want a Nexus 7. Posts like this help no one.

InclusionInnovates

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
JD914----Very Helpful! Sure is nice to see that many problems are caused by the user. I'm trolling to decide if I really want a Nexus 7. Posts like this help no one.

If this solution works out, I am definitely keeping my Nexus 7.

I understand people being frustrated, however, as long as one doesn't just rant but also keeps looking for a solution the effort helps the Android community.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

It did not work for me, so I am still on a mission :)

Last edited:

Toast95135

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Some of this may be bad digitizers, but I had some serious touch issues on my Nexus when I first got it. After reading a lot on here and XDA I found the issue that fixed it (for me at least). The flash memory they used isn't the best and when there is a lot of data being downloaded in the background it effects performance, from a tiny amount of lag to touches not registering (especially noticeable when typing). I disabled Play Magazines because for some reason it's a data hog, and I disabled Currents from auto syncing (do it from within the app theres a background data setting, but uncheck it in the main settings as well). Both of those apps download tons of data in the background constantly... After doing this I haven't had any issues with touch responsiveness or lag.

Before I would pick up my Nexus and wake it up from deep sleep and it would be SOOO slow, because a bunch of apps would start syncing. Or I would leave it for a few mins and my wifi would grey out (connected but not to Google) and once I switched wifi on and off it would lag horribly for a minute after. Doing the fix I mentioned got rid of all my issues. The only time I notice any lag is if my browser crashes because I have multiple tabs open with large images open and it is trying to reload them all at once, or when updating from the market (every android phone I've had gets a little laggy when something is installing though).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908