Tired of all the touchscreen problems: returning my N7

Traveler5

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I've uninstalled all frivolous apps (about 3 times), did a complete wipe of my N7 (twice!), as well as other software tinkering with it and I am still having problems with the touchscreen. It's frustrating. After a short while of use, the N7's screen becomes almost completely unresponsive to taps and swipes. This has been happening for the last few weeks or so and has gotten worse the last few days. To correct it I have to push the power button off then on and that takes care of it for while.

I called Google yesterday and they're sending me a new unit and I should get it tomorrow -- I got confirmation it has shipped. They sent me a pre-paid shipping label for the defective unit for me to ship back.

Anyone had any problems with the Google return process or the new N7 they sent to you?

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
For the record the Nexus 7 doesn't have touch screen problems. Sometimes it's the users and not the device that needs fixing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I've uninstalled all frivolous apps (about 3 times), did a complete wipe of my N7 (twice!), as well as other software tinkering with it and I am still having problems with the touchscreen. It's frustrating. After a short while of use, the N7's screen becomes almost completely unresponsive to taps and swipes. This has been happening for the last few weeks or so and has gotten worse the last few days. To correct it I have to push the power button off then on and that takes care of it for while.

I called Google yesterday and they're sending me a new unit and I should get it tomorrow -- I got confirmation it has shipped. They sent me a pre-paid shipping label for the defective unit for me to ship back.

Anyone had any problems with the Google return process or the new N7 they sent to you?

the only time I have touchscreen issues is if I set it on the arm of my fabric chair, don't touch or hold the n7, and then try to touch the screen ONLY. I have to be touching the body of the N7 when it is on that particular fabric, in order for touch input to be recognized. this doesn't happen on my bed, or anywhere else that I've tried. extremely STRANGE, but replicateable.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
It could be a static charge issue. With the touch screens being capacitive, if your skin is at the same charge as the screen, nothing will happen.

You may be onto something there as far as the fabric on the chair.

The next time the device does this, if you have a metal lamp nearby, touch it, or ground yourself out somehow, then try the touchscreen again while still in the chair. If it works without powering down the screen, then you have found the culprit.

Moist or dry skin can also play havoc with a touchscreen.

I never had an issue like this as long as I had my Nexus 7, so I can't pinpoint exactly what it could be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

I had a replacement sent for a screen flicker issue and the replacement had the same problem.

ricktat

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Please don't post things like this. It must be in your head. I had the same problem and it must have been in my head too. I have never had any issues like this with any other tablet or phone but it has to be me. And now it has to be you. It can't be the Nexus 7. Plus if it is the Nexus 7 then its only .00001 % of the tablets made. But it can't be that either.

So the next time you are playing a game and the screen will not respond... just remember... Its all in your head.

PS. returning the device permanently fixes the device. Pressing the power button temporarily fixes it.

Traveler5

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
It could be a static charge issue. With the touch screens being capacitive, if your skin is at the same charge as the screen, nothing will happen.

You may be onto something there as far as the fabric on the chair.

The next time the device does this, if you have a metal lamp nearby, touch it, or ground yourself out somehow, then try the touchscreen again while still in the chair. If it works without powering down the screen, then you have found the culprit.

Moist or dry skin can also play havoc with a touchscreen.

I never had an issue like this as long as I had my Nexus 7, so I can't pinpoint exactly what it could be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

It doesn't matter if I'm sitting on a chair with fabric or leather. In fact, it will act up even when I'm sitting on the head (great place to read). I'm wondering if it's CPU or battery heat that's causing it.

Traveler5

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Please don't post things like this. It must be in your head. I had the same problem and it must have been in my head too. I have never had any issues like this with any other tablet or phone but it has to be me. And now it has to be you. It can't be the Nexus 7. Plus if it is the Nexus 7 then its only .00001 % of the tablets made. But it can't be that either.

So the next time you are playing a game and the screen will not respond... just remember... Its all in your head.

PS. returning the device permanently fixes the device. Pressing the power button temporarily fixes it.

It probably is in my head. After jd914's comment I'm thinking there's a pretty good chance my mind is "willing" the touchscreen to malfunction. Why that would be, I don't know. I'll have to get my head examined. I'll contact Google about that, too.

Last edited:

Traveler5

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site

Delete.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
This might sound strange but how often to you clean the screen? I've noticed a decrease in responsiveness after using for awhile. Clears up and is perfect again after cleaning. I think the oils and dust from fingerprints and environment may cause this to happen somewhat.

Rootbrain

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
This might sound strange but how often to you clean the screen? I've noticed a decrease in responsiveness after using for awhile. Clears up and is perfect again after cleaning. I think the oils and dust from fingerprints and environment may cause this to happen somewhat.

Rootbrain

That may be true. On the other hand, I assume you turn the screen off for a moment to clean it? Turning the screen off temporarily is about the only workaround. :)

I noticed this happening immediately after installing the Swype Beta last week. Since I don't use it on my Nexus any more, I may try uninstalling it tonight. A LOT of the threads I've read on XDA and the Google bug site mention Swype, so I'm wondering if that might be a contributor...?

Traveler5

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site

Rootbrain

Not very often but I have tried that and it did not make a difference. I have an iPad and a iPhone and their screens get just as messy, sometimes worse (kids), yet I have no problems with either device. If this is what's really causing the problem then it's a hardware issue.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Rootbrain

that happens to my microwave control panel a few times a year. oils will cause the touchcontrols to go "on vacation" until a quick wipe with Windex.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Not very often but I have tried that and it did not make a difference. I have an iPad and a iPhone and their screens get just as messy, sometimes worse (kids), yet I have no problems with either device. If this is what's really causing the problem then it's a hardware issue.

not saying cleaning will fix it, but don't draw ANY inference from the fact you have other devices that work when the screens are dirty--that's falling into the trap of TOO MUCH ASSUMPTION. trust me on that one. Not all screens have the same level of sensitivity.