Received 7 defective Nexus 7's and Google is now refusing RMA's

anakin_sw

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I purchased 2 Nexus 7's, one for myself and one for my father. My father's tablet has screen separation and he is afraid to exchange it. My tablet had a chipped bezel. I exchanged the tablet for a string of 6 defective Nexus 7's all with light bleed and dead pixels. Today, I called to process my RMA and the supervisor Cameron, told me that they will not process any more RMAs on my account and to please mail back my units.

I just want to inform anybody who is in the RMA process that Google will pull this move on you. I have been nothing but courteous to the reps, I have been patient with the RMA process and Google has written me off as a customer. I am sure some people are satisfied with their Nexus 7's, however that is not the point of my post. It is to inform potential customers of the systemic quality issues plaguing this product and Google's unwillingness to rectify the issue.

BBB complaint to follow. Also, everybody please visit Google Co-Founder Sergey Brin's Google+ page and send him an email detailing your experience with your Nexus 7:

https://plus.google.com/109813896768294978296/posts

Reactions: BostonDan2

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I purchased 2 Nexus 7's, one for myself and one for my father. My father's tablet has screen separation and he is afraid to exchange it. My tablet had a chipped bezel. I exchanged the tablet for a string of 6 defective Nexus 7's all with light bleed and dead pixels. Today, I called to process my RMA and the supervisor Cameron, told me that they will not process any more RMAs on my account and to please mail back my units.

I just want to inform anybody who is in the RMA process that Google will pull this move on you. I have been nothing but courteous to the reps, I have been patient with the RMA process and Google has written me off as a customer. I am sure some people are satisfied with their Nexus 7's, however that is not the point of my post. It is to inform potential customers of the systemic quality issues plaguing this product and Google's unwillingness to rectify the issue.

BBB complaint to follow. Also, everybody please visit Google Co-Founder Sergey Brin's Google+ page and send him an email detailing your experience with your Nexus 7:

https://plus.google.com/109813896768294978296/posts

How can you fault a company for deciding to not do business with you anymore?? They have just as much right to not sell anymore to you as you have to not buy from them.

At what point do you think you would write off a customer on a unit that has less than a 10% gross margin amount. Based on your returns, you already ate through that and more, and they would be losing money on you. I would have cut you of at 3 or 4.

I have 2 c60 units myself with no issues....excuse my cynicism that the majority of the issues out there are simply made up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Received 7 defective Nexus 7's and Google is now refusing RMA

I'm definitely not a fan boy but i agree one hundred percent with the corporate decision. Buy something else if you cant be satisfied. I have a c60 serial number unit and it is PERFECT so far. I've had it for almost a month from radioshack.com. I now have purchased the two year squaretrade warranty.

Reactions: KitN

anakin_sw

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Run a screen test on black at full brightness. If you see any white or yellow around the edges, that's light bleed. You should not be able to determine the light source behind the LCD panel. That is a defect.

Flur

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

I have 2 c60 units myself with no issues....excuse my cynicism that the majority of the issues out there are simply made up.

Not excused. Two subjects do not make a proper sample set.

I've had two and both had severe screen lift. I guess by your logic I should call you a liar. Good thing I don't think like you, I guess.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

I have not trouble believing all 7 of his Nexus 7 tablets had some issues, probably most with screen lift.

Still, 6 RMAs in a month is excessive and abusing the RMA process. No surprise Google cut him off. I think most people with common sense would stop at 2 or 3 RMAs and either attempt a self fix, get an refund, or just live with it and try another RMA a month or so later when ASUS hopefully resolves whatever is causing so many defects (which I think they might have almost done now).

I think you were almost there. The C80K batches are rolling out now. Perhaps a much improved chance of getting a good one. But of course you can still buy these in a retail store too and drive some poor Walmart manager nuts. :)

anakin_sw

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

I have not trouble? Good English kid.

I'm actually hitting Walmart tomorrow. Maybe you'll be the manger I drive nuts.

I have not trouble believing all 7 of his Nexus 7 tablets had some issues, probably most with screen lift.

Still, 6 RMAs in a month is excessive and abusing the RMA process. No surprise Google cut him off. I think most people with common sense would stop at 2 or 3 RMAs and either attempt a self fix, get an refund, or just live with it and try another RMA a month or so later when ASUS hopefully resolves whatever is causing so many defects (which I think they might have almost done now).

I think you were almost there. The C80K batches are rolling out now. Perhaps a much improved chance of getting a good one. But of course you can still buy these in a retail store too and drive some poor Walmart manager nuts. :)

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Run a screen test on black at full brightness. If you see any white or yellow around the edges, that's light bleed. You should not be able to determine the light source behind the LCD panel. That is a defect.

Why would it matter it an all black screen has some light at the edges? I don't look at anything that's all black except night view when reading books and even then it has never occurred to me to look for it. I say this is not a returnable defect and good for Google. You are wasting your time and theirs. I am glad you explained "light bleed", it is just as ridiculous as I imagined.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Rusticus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

There has to come a point that both the customer and Google realize that the product is not going to meet the customer standards. That is where Google is at this point with you and maybe you should be there also.

If you buy lumber from the lumber yards you can pick through the boards to find the lumber that meets your standards. If you are insistent on owning a Nexus 7, I suggest your go to the box stores and pick through the inventory if they will let you.

pete_lockwood

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

The point the apologists are missing is that it was within Google's power to produce a product with less defects. Failing to do so leaves them in this situation. The customer should have a reasonable expectation when they hand over $200+. Google got 4 back from me all for flickering screens but they could've got it right by sending me a unit without the issue sooner. It's not my fault they couldn't be bothered.
And no. Nobody should be expected to try to fix their brand new unit themselves when it arrives.

ryoblade

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

Where I agree a dead pixel or screen separation is reason for a replacement under warranty as they hinder the use of the device, 'light bleeding' doesn't actually impair the use of the device in any way except in a cosmetic sense. Many devices out now have occurrences of this and not too long ago it was a common occurrence (anyone remember having an HTC Touch.) Unfortunately the new generation has a privileged need for perfection where it used to be the little idiosyncrasies made a product unique. That's my little old-timer rant.

In the end it was Google's legal right to deny a claim and/or only offer a refund, if they felt their policy was being abused or exploited; validated or not.

Reactions: KitN

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

The point the apologists are missing is that it was within Google's power to produce a product with less defects. Failing to do so leaves them in this situation. The customer should have a reasonable expectation when they hand over $200+. Google got 4 back from me all for flickering screens but they could've got it right by sending me a unit without the issue sooner. It's not my fault they couldn't be bothered.
And no. Nobody should be expected to try to fix their brand new unit themselves when it arrives.

I think Google has been extremely generous allowing us to return our tablets so easily and Google has been very quick with the returns. But come on, returned 7 tablets in just a month? That is just ridiculous.

I realize it seems silly to have to try to fix the tablet yourself. But to me it probably is more silly to replace a tablet 7 times, and go through all the hassle of each return, instead of taking 5 minutes to try loosening a screw that might be causing a bulge or something.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

And no mention of what the reason was for all 7 returns. If he's been returning some because of any light bleed. Well, I think this person could go through a 100 tablets and never be happy.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

I have not trouble? Good English kid.

I'm actually hitting Walmart tomorrow. Maybe you'll be the manger I drive nuts.

yoda.jpg

Have fun at Walmart.

Reactions: purpulehaze

bjadams44

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

Reading about light bleed I realized that I have not been looking for defects hard enough. My N7 seems to be working great and I really love it but wait, let me turn all the lights off and go to black.........

Reactions: kpxstar9 and KitN

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
if there was nothing wrong with his tablet then Google is suppose to charge him for it and in guess send it back. that is what warranty says doesn't it?
Sent from my Nexus 7

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I honestly have trouble understanding why anyone would go through the hassle of returning seven units in such short order. If I was that dissatisfied with the build quality, I'd ask for my money back after maybe the second exchange, or wait and live with the unit for a couple of months until the build quality improved (or not).

I've got one with some screen separation, and if it gets worse in the next couple of months I'll consider exchanging it via Google once their build quality improves and they've worked their way through the bad units. If it does not get worse, I'll keep it. It's still a seriously kick-ass tablet for $250, and I don't expect iPad quality for less than half the price.

As to the light bleed, yes, I can reproduce that. If I take my Nexus into a dark room and set the screen brightness high, I can clearly see where the LED light sources are located. The thing is, that's a common feature of any LED-backlit LCD screen. I can do the same thing on my Thunderbolt, and my wife's Galaxy S2, and with my el-cheapo Pantech Novel tablet if I look at it at an extreme angle I can actually see and be blinded by the LED. LED lights are a point source, not a diffuse source. That's why they used to use flourescent backlights on older laptops, but everyone wants the energy efficiency and size efficiency of LED.

AMOLED and other fully-backlit technologies get around this, but you ain't gonna find AMOLED in a $200 budget-built tablet.

To the OP: With respect, I don't think the Nexus is the tablet you are looking for, and particularly right now. If you want to solve the "backlight defect", you're going to have to find something that does not use LED backlights, it's a "defect" inherent to the technology. And if you want to get away from the screen lift, I'd wait a few more weeks to make sure all the bad ones are safely out of the supply chain.

Sending the ones you have back to Google and researching the other options available might be in your own best interests.

If not, you can always buy one retail, where you can have instant returns. Just understand that any corporation can refuse to do further business with you if you turn out to be an unprofitable customer. Even if the reason behind it isn't your fault. As long as they are giving you your money back in return for their product being returned, it's perfectly legal.