Apple / Samsung Court Ruling

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have any opinions whether Nexus 7 owners should worry about the implications of this ruling?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I already have mine. what're they gonna do, bust down the door and try to repo?

"From my cold dead hands...." - Charlton Heston

Rootbrain

Reactions: KitN

seriyb

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Not scared at all. As everyone said, we already got the HW and no matter what happens there will always be custom ROMs.
Having said that, it's a sad day and it seems like no one is safe building a smart phone without "infringing" on Apple design. Funny considering Google was ahead of Apple to make a smart phone.
Monopoly is an understatement... our choices are about to shrink.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I already have mine. what're they gonna do, bust down the door and try to repo?

"From my cold dead hands...." - Charlton Heston

Rootbrain

Nothing is going to happen.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Capthowdyy

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Guess I should buy another Galaxy S3 or two while I still can.
I also wonder how much Apple is paying the jury members for a favorable verdict.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

Reactions: standog100

markst

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Appeal. Very similar to Microsoft-Sun trial. Amount will be reduced and some changes to the equipment..

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
A jury of idiots who apparently don't know what shape a TV is. Appeals be comin'.

Speaking of TV maybe Samsung can sue Apple when they try to "reinvent the tv" LOL. This case was ridiculous from the start. There were touch screen phones on the market in 2000, 7 whole years before Apple came along.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
One thing I don't understand about this patent case, why is Apple going after Samsung?

Isn't stuff like pinch to zoom and bounceback a part of Android? Samsung didnt make android, so why isn't the lawsuit against Google?

I assume they're only going after Samsung because the Galaxy sales are cutting into iPhone, but if anything I think this ruling will HELP Samsung in the long run. Forget fanboys on either side, the average consumer may now view Apple as an unreasonable bully. Apple as the most powerful company will be seen to many as Microsoft was in the 90s -- huge backlash which led the company to start stumbling as people moved to competitor products. I can see the same thing happening to Apple.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I think part of this suit involves look and feel. Google didn't make the device so they wouldn't be responsible for how phones and tablets look.

True Goggle develops the OS but it would be probably harder to get any money out of them because they give the OS away. It is posted on servers and anyone can grab it for free and after having it they can write additional code which modifies the final outcome which in Samsungs case results in a Touchwiz interface.

The OS is so customizable that it is now being used to run Nikon cameras, which is not a phone or a tablet so I think it would be just harder for Apple to deal with Google over the OS. Not saying it couldn't be done, but I think it would be more difficult.

seriyb

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
No need to worry, the Nexus7 is made by Asus, not Samsung. ;-)

Apple is just a group of spoiled rich kids who feel only they can dictate how phones work, *comment removed to preserve family-friendly vibe*

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

It's not all about Samsung. Many "items" were core Android OS features.

seriyb

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
One thing I don't understand about this patent case, why is Apple going after Samsung?

Isn't stuff like pinch to zoom and bounceback a part of Android? Samsung didnt make android, so why isn't the lawsuit against Google?

I assume they're only going after Samsung because the Galaxy sales are cutting into iPhone, but if anything I think this ruling will HELP Samsung in the long run. Forget fanboys on either side, the average consumer may now view Apple as an unreasonable bully. Apple as the most powerful company will be seen to many as Microsoft was in the 90s -- huge backlash which led the company to start stumbling as people moved to competitor products. I can see the same thing happening to Apple.

Agreed, i was never an Apple fanboy but i do have couple of iPods and my parents have a macBook and the new ipad.
I will never buy an Apple product again and will keep my parents from doing the same

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
It's not all about Samsung. Many "items" were core Android OS features.

Yeah but one article I just read said that Apple is seeking an injunction against the Galaxy S 2 but not the S 3. That tells me this is not so much about Android as it is about the fact that some devices looked and felt too similar to Apple's. I disagree with them, but I'm just saying that this doesn't seem to be an attack on all Android devices.

seriyb

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but one article I just read said that Apple is seeking an injunction against the Galaxy S 2 but not the S 3. That tells me this is not so much about Android as it is about the fact that some devices looked and felt too similar to Apple's. I disagree with them, but I'm just saying that this doesn't seem to be an attack on all Android devices.

Yeah, that is confusing but the pinch zoom and the rubber effect when hitting the end of a scroll is all Android.
I actually seem to recall the pinch zoom lawsuit many years ago... and i think Apple lost it so I'm not sure why it's back.

RIM is in trouble if they have to go around all these silly "rules". First it was Apple but now maybe also a pissed off Sammy or Google.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of TV maybe Samsung can sue Apple when they try to "reinvent the tv" LOL. This case was ridiculous from the start. There were touch screen phones on the market in 2000, 7 whole years before Apple came along.

...but the case wasn't about who made the touch screen first.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, that is confusing but the pinch zoom and the rubber effect when hitting the end of a scroll is all Android.

Lots of blind product support in this thread, especially those that are swearing off any Apple products (limiting your options only hurts you, but go right ahead) but this statement is just false. Neither of these features are Android. In fact, the bound back behavior was removed long ago because of this. That is why we have the "glow" once you read the furthest point in a particular direction.

Edited by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

elvis077

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
All I can say is, I have never looked at a Samsung phone or tablet and thought it was an apple piece of garbage product. Apple thinks we are dumb, and the jury IS stupid. I had the first iPhone when it came out, but will never own another Apple product.
So good win Apple, hope the foxcon employees benefit from the billion you stole from a better company

Sent from my EVO lte

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair