How do I turn off apps?

chobers

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Every app I've ever used is still running and draining the battery. I'm sure the answer to this is extremely obvious, just not to me. I am a fish in the desert with this stuff.

Thanks.

jstar8000

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
There is a recent apps button on the bottom of the screen. Tap that, then swipe horizontally to stop it. If its still running, go to settings-apps-all-then select the app you want to close and force stop it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Disable the app: Settings --> Apps --> then select the app you want, click the disable button.

Keep in mind that Android manages memory very well, especially with JB. What is it that's running that you think is draining the battery?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Disable the app: Settings --> Apps --> then select the app you want, click the disable button.

Keep in mind that Android manages memory very well, especially with JB. What is it that's running that you think is draining the battery?
I dont think OP wants apps to be disabled but wants it to be closed when the app is closed after use.

There are two ways i know to do this. use task killer app https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.rechild.advancedtaskkiller&token=ek8e1tIo

setup autokill app at a particular intervel or kill it manually whenever you can. there is also a widget which looks like the app icon and its one click to kill all app.

or in the developer option settings-- check the limit on background process

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'm not much of an Android techy, but is this article saying that if you run something as big as Plants vs Zombies, its better to just push the home button rather than spamming back?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Hold up!

Jerry Hildenbrand wrote a wonderful article for threads just like this. I suggest the OP take a good hard gander (especially the part entitled The 'Task Killer' debate) at this before grabbing any task killers. RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

Exactly. Task killers cause more issues then they do help. Just let Android do it's thing. Check the apps you installed for what might be killing the battery. Or go to Settings --> Battery and see what is using up your battery.

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Long press on the home button brings up running apps, to kill one side it to the right.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

cinctus

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Long press on the home button brings up running apps, to kill one side it to the right.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Long press on the home button brings up Recent Apps which may NOT be running at that time.

I rather use OS Monitor that allows me to kill apps if possible (some are very persistent due to Android)

Sent from over the rainbow through my Revolutionized and Liberated Aria (2.2.2).

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Long press on the home button brings up Recent Apps which may NOT be running at that time.

I rather use OS Monitor that allows me to kill apps if possible (some are very persistent due to Android)

Sent from over the rainbow through my Revolutionized and Liberated Aria (2.2.2).
yes, recent apps but if you swipe left or right, Android will kill it if its running.

jconnors88

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to check if the app is using WiFi even while it is not running? I have a mobile hotspot with limited usage and I'd like to make sure I am using it wisely.