Calendar Day View Broken

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that on the Nexus 7, that when I'm in the DAY view on my calendar, the all day events don't show text. There are just colored bars across the top but no words indicating what the all day even is. Is there a fix for this? Am I the only one seeing this issue? It seems to happen when I have more than 2 all day events.

Thanks,
WB

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Not rooted. Completely stock. If I look on the agenda view, I can see everything, but not on Day view. If there are 2 or fewer all day items, it shows text. If there are 3 or more all day items, it only shows the appropriate color calendar bars.

Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but I enter most of my stuff on my desktop, not my N7.

rom1966

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I just double checked mine on day view. Seems to have everything there. Time is blocked off by color code and title is inside color block. If I have notes, those are there too. I made sure to look at days with multiple items and even days with events within the same time frame and everything is there... Makes me wonder if there is some goofy setting on calendar or tablet causing this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I just double checked mine on day view. Seems to have everything there. Time is blocked off by color code and title is inside color block. If I have notes, those are there too. I made sure to look at days with multiple items and even days with events within the same time frame and everything is there... Makes me wonder if there is some goofy setting on calendar or tablet causing this.

I'm looking...can't find any settings yet...

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Did you try to resync your calendar? I know it sounds terribly basic, but it worked for me when I had similar issues a few weeks ago.

I realize it is simply not showing properly, and mine was doing the same initially as well.

rom1966

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Clearing cache won't affect your calendar event, so that shouldn't cause any concern. If that doesn't do it, download another calendar app that will sync with Google. If that one has the same issue goto Google calendar from a pc and check background setting in general settings. It should be 'scale to fit'. I think that was an issue my wife's TB was having earlier this year. It's been awhile, a little foggy on the details..

Nuevo

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My N7 has the same calendar malady: no text in day view if more than two items. Using Agenda View isn't a workaround because Agenda View goes back to early August when first selected. (So Agenda View's not 100% either).

Selecting "fit to screen" (?) in Calendar's desktop PC settings wasn't a solution. That was already selected. Clearing cache in N7 didn't help. Refreshing: no cigar.

Day view on my EVO4G has always worked fine.

Reviewed all settings on N7 and PC. Can't see anything that would make a difference.

Based on Google searches, there are only TWO of us in the Nexus 7 Universe who have this problem.

Any more ideas?

Thanks.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
My N7 has the same calendar malady: no text in day view if more than two items. Using Agenda View isn't a workaround because Agenda View goes back to early August when first selected. (So Agenda View's not 100% either).

Selecting "fit to screen" (?) in Calendar's desktop PC settings wasn't a solution. That was already selected. Clearing cache in N7 didn't help. Refreshing: no cigar.

Day view on my EVO4G has always worked fine.

Reviewed all settings on N7 and PC. Can't see anything that would make a difference.

Based on Google searches, there are only TWO of us in the Nexus 7 Universe who have this problem.

Any more ideas?

Thanks.

At least I'm not the only one!

I've tried all the same stuff you've listed. I've even tried complete factory reset. It is also happening on my Droid 4 with ICS. I've had the problems you mentioned with the agenda view, but not very often. It used to happen all the time with my DINC2, but not my Droid 4. It only happens sometimes with the N7. Very puzzling...

WildSue

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem except the words aren't showing up in my individual daily appointments, but are for the all day events. If I make the meeting an hour the text does show up. I would prefer to stick to my 30 min default, though I can't find where to change that default setting either.

Last edited:

stepheneu

May 8, 2013
Visit site
This is due to the default font being too large for display. That's why it will show when you change your event to an hour. More time meant more space to show the text. Go to Settings App - Display - Font size, and change it back to "Normal". It should display correctly.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly, I had this problem with the stock Calendar on the Razr Maxx after the JB update; however, it doesn't occur with the Google Calendar app that is downloadable through Google Play. The two apps are almost the same, but not quite. So I disabled the stock Calendar app and continue to use the Google Calendar app.

It's very weird that you're seeing this with the N7. Try uninstalling all updates to the Calendar app, and see if the problem persists. If that fixes it, try installing the updates again to see if it gets all messed up again.

febb

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi:
Just found your post about the broken day view of the Android calendar app in regards to text not shown (only colored line) for all-day events.
This is happenning since long ago in my Nexus 7 now with stock 4.3 Jellybean, rooted.
I do also have a Nexus 4 and a 10" Samsung Android tablet and, on these two tablets, this problem is NOT happening.
Your post was made in August 2012, now over 1 year after, have you found a solution to this annoying situation with all-day events on the day view of the Google calendar app?
Your comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
Felipe.

febb

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi:
Just found your post about the broken day view of the Android calendar app in regards to text not shown (only colored line) for all-day events.
This is happenning since long ago in my Nexus 7 now with stock 4.3 Jellybean, rooted.
I do also have a Nexus 4 and a 10" Samsung Android tablet and, on these two tablets, this problem is NOT happening.
Your post was made in August 2012, now over 1 year after, have you found a solution to this annoying situation with all-day events on the day view of the Google calendar app?
Your comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
Felipe.

I can confirm, after carefully reading this thread, that if I go to Settings - Display - Font Size and set it to SMALL, then all of the all-day events are shown with visible text, not only the empty colored line.

The issue is that I don't feel comfortable with my overall N7 system setting of font size at "Small". This is clearly a bug on the calendar app, not adjusting its font size and/or word wrapping of the all-day entries appropriately.

Where to report this bug to Google? Has this been done?

Again, your comments are welcome. Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm, after carefully reading this thread, that if I go to Settings - Display - Font Size and set it to SMALL, then all of the all-day events are shown with visible text, not only the empty colored line.

The issue is that I don't feel comfortable with my overall N7 system setting of font size at "Small". This is clearly a bug on the calendar app, not adjusting its font size and/or word wrapping of the all-day entries appropriately.

I never changed my font size. It is still set to "Normal". I think it was one of the OS or Calendar app updates that fixed it along the way. I'm no longer having this issue. You may want to check to make sure you have the latest OS and Calendar app from the Play store.

Hope that helps!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

That's a good tip! I tried setting the Font Size on my Razr Maxx to Small, and more of the colored event bars now have text in them. But I agree, it is unfortunate that all of the other system text also has to be small.

Here's the product forum for Google Calendar for Android: Google Groups. To be honest, I don't know how helpful it is to post issues there, since there is almost never an official response from Google. But I would imagine that Google engineers peruse the Google Group forums to look for really common issues, and then target them.