Charging your N7

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering how low do you normally let your battery down before you charge? I generally let mine run down to about 20 to 30% before I charge again. Are you better off running it down until it dies before charging?
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I had let mine go down red after two warnings and had to shut down. Then I plugged it into charger and tried turning it back on. I couldn't use it within maybe the first 10 minutes because it kept going static and shutting off. Didn't have enough battery I guess.

So I wouldn't let it go all the way down. Maybe try avoiding the red. You might not get to use it if your really needing to at the moment. I had to wait 30minutes or so before it would stay on. But I left it alone and it took 4 hrs.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't pay it any attention, when I get up in the morning I plug it in while I get ready. Is the battery in this replaceable?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

AZImmortal

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
With lithium ion batteries, there's no battery memory so just charge it whenever you can. It's actually best to just keep it fully charged because batteries have a limited number of recharge cycles before they deteriorate, so the fewer times that you have to recharge, the longer your battery will live.

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I normally use 60-70% of my battery in a day but I need it to be full so I really just charge it every night like my phone

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I always charge it when it goes below 5%, I never drain it completely. Since it's based on charge cycles, I don't charge it when it is even 10%.

If you think about it, when you drain the battery, you're just cutting off the circuit. Then, you try turning it on, which makes it worse. So, just don't drawn your battery completely.

AZImmortal

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I always charge it when it goes below 5%, I never drain it completely. Since it's based on charge cycles, I don't charge it when it is even 10%.

If you think about it, when you drain the battery, you're just cutting off the circuit. Then, you try turning it on, which makes it worse. So, just don't drawn your battery completely.

Based on what you said about 10%, I just wanted to let you know that partial charges count against the charge cycles as well, so if you charge from 10% to 100%, that's a 0.9 charge cycle, while charging from 5% to 100% is a 0.95 charge cycle, so there's no advantage to be gained from not charging your battery sooner. The longer you stay at 100%, the better.

Reactions: Eduardo06sp

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Based on what you said about 10%, I just wanted to let you know that partial charges count against the charge cycles as well, so if you charge from 10% to 100%, that's a 0.9 charge cycle, while charging from 5% to 100% is a 0.95 charge cycle, so there's no advantage to be gained from not charging your battery sooner. The longer you stay at 100%, the better.

Thank you for correcting my misconception. I appreciate it.

hichris123

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
But, with lithium-ion batteries, it also deteriorates at the 100 percent state of charge quickly, if it is always plugged in, say.

AZImmortal

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
But, with lithium-ion batteries, it also deteriorates at the 100 percent state of charge quickly, if it is always plugged in, say.

What you're describing is for "dumb" chargers that don't reduce the charging current to a trickle charge when the battery is fully charged. Smart chargers, or smart charging devices (like our Nexus 7s), will reduce to a trickle charge.