Nexus 7 or Note 10.1

Coldy86

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
So guys what do you think? I have had 5 Nexus 7's... All with horrible screen separation. My first 2 were from a local retailer here in Australia and the other 3 have been from the play store. I am ready to give up. Should I go for the Note 10.1? I figure I can always get a Nexus 7 a bit later on, when they sort out the manufacturing issues. It's only $300 after all!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Go and try out the Note at Best Buy....for me, the screen resolution was a non starter. I also enjoy rooting and running custom ROMs, so that could factor into your decision too. Devs seem pretty obsessed with building for the N7 right now.

May 23, 2012
Visit site
the screen resolution on the Note 10.1 isn't as good as the Nexus 7, but the color looks better on the Samsung tablet. I was looking at them the other day and the colors looked washed out on the Nexus compared to the Note 10.1.

A lot of folks here loath Touch Wiz. Personally, I like a lot of the polish it provides to ICS compared to raw Android, but I've never used a single one of their new Hubs sites.

If you can deal with Touch Wiz, get the Note 10.1. It's a solid build. No screens popping off from the factory yet. It has 2GB of ram, which is in line with $500 laptops. On a tablet it's a beast. it has a quad-core processor as well. Plus it has a microSD card slot if you wanna go nuts and store 64GB worth of music or movies.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I have the Note 10.1 and the N7 as well. I use them both for different things. Like others have said, the resolution isn't what it should be for it's price range, but it's a good looking screen. TouchWiz does not get in the way on the Note 10.1 either.

But it's a different beast all together when you start talking about the Wacom digitizer and S-Pen.

So it really just depends on what you want to do with a tablet.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
If you feel like the Note is a compromise you'd rather not make, wait a few weeks to a month for inventories to cycle, then go to a local store & try again with the Nexus 7. Hopefully the screen separation issues will have been resolved, and you'll get a good one. And by going local, you can buy it, open it up, and immediately return it if it's not perfect.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
No ASUS Transformers available down under? I'd get a TF300 or TF700 in a heartbeat before a Note 10.1 (unless I had some weird extreme need for a pen).

dk21

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I figured I'd throw in my $.02. As someone who tried 4 Nexus 7 devices, 3 Transformer Pad 300s, and 1 Transformer Pad 700, all with defects, I give up on Asus. Their quality control is terrible, in my opinion.

I have been giving a lot of thought about what to do instead. Ultimately, I gave the Note 10.1 a shot. What an impressive device! I don't know that I'll have any practical use for the S-Pen, but the display is beautiful, it's made well, the sound is great, and it's fast...really fast. It blows all of the Asus tablets that I tried out of the water on performance. The display on the Transformer 700 might be higher res, but the difference isn't noticeable to me, plus in my opinion, the colors are so much nicer on the Samsung.

Anyway, if you're interested in it, head to a Best Buy and try it out.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I figured I'd throw in my $.02. As someone who tried 4 Nexus 7 devices, 3 Transformer Pad 300s, and 1 Transformer Pad 700, all with defects, I give up on Asus. Their quality control is terrible, in my opinion.

I have been giving a lot of thought about what to do instead. Ultimately, I gave the Note 10.1 a shot. What an impressive device! I don't know that I'll have any practical use for the S-Pen, but the display is beautiful, it's made well, the sound is great, and it's fast...really fast. It blows all of the Asus tablets that I tried out of the water on performance. The display on the Transformer 700 might be higher res, but the difference isn't noticeable to me, plus in my opinion, the colors are so much nicer on the Samsung.

ASUS tablets are pretty good when you get one without a defect. But yeah, they are really getting a bad reputation for all their manufacturing issues with most of their tablet models, so you might have to play the exchange game a few times to get the right one.

Still, I'd take my chances on ASUS, because Samsung isn't exactly without it's issues either. Samsung seems to have far fewer defects, but they make so many different models that they can't keep them up to date, they lag way behind in software updates. Also what is wrong with Samsung putting a 1280x800 resolution screen in their brand new $500 10 inch tablet in late 2012? It's baffling, Samsung makes all these very high resolution screens for others, it seems inexcusable.

ASUS has manufacturing issues galore. But they are very fast with Android updates and they have a nice high DPI screen.
Samsung puts way too much bloat in it's UI, Android updates are painfully lacking, and a low resolution screen.

dk21

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
There's more to the story than just pixel count. Even the 700's display quality was lacking in comparison. Samsung may make a number of customizations to Android, but there is no lag and everything is super smooth, not to mention stable. Also, since when is 1280x800 low resolution? This is only a 10" screen folks.

Anyway, what's great is we can all have our own opinions. I personally will never purchase another Asus product again. They are certainly nice on paper, but with a total of eight defective tablets over three models, there's definitely something wrong with their manufacturing process.

Haucore

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know if the note 10.1 will get jellybean later on? I used to have the n7 and I do miss it but google has it and I have no idea when I'll get a replacement. I was considering a note 10.1 but reluctant with it's future updates.

Coldy86

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I am so happy with my Note 10.1 and glad I returned my nexus 7. I do miss the 7" display however I enjoy having a big screen too. Asus fix your damn QA. I hope Google get Sammy to make their next nexus tablet!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Haucore

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm at work and looking at the galaxy tab 2 7.0 and the bundle offered along with its price is solid (USB converter and keyboard for 239). I have to admit I'm looking for a 7" tab which was why I loved my n7 so much. If the note10.1 does receive jellybean, that may be the clear winner for me. Hell if the tab2 7.0 upgrades to jellybean I may consider that as well.:D

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

Have you ever had a tablet you liked? Because it sounds to me like you're going to look for and find defects with anything. "

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm at work and looking at the galaxy tab 2 7.0 and the bundle offered along with its price is solid (USB converter and keyboard for 239). I have to admit I'm looking for a 7" tab which was why I loved my n7 so much. If the note10.1 does receive jellybean, that may be the clear winner for me. Hell if the tab2 7.0 upgrades to jellybean I may consider that as well.:D

Tab 2 7.0 will get Jelly Bean.

Reactions: Haucore

jasonbird

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I have Nexus 7 and a galaxy 7 2.0 and both devices have been flawless. I'm hoping to soon have a note 10.1. My desktop PC is definitely getting neglected. :p

dk21

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Have you ever had a tablet you liked? Because it sounds to me like you're going to look for and find defects with anything. "

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Umm, did you happen to read the post that you quoted? The Note rocks!

I'm guessing that your Nexus 7 isn't defective, which is awesome for you. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case for me. I gave it an honest shot (4 times).

I don't have anymore time to deal with returning Asus tablets, so I purchased something else. Not sure why that seems to offend people on here...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon