Really thinking about getting one!

vito032

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I want to get a tablet and I had my eye on the tf-300 I did buy one and returned it today. It was very nice updated to JB right a way which was nice great tab all around. But I just couldn't see spending that much on something that I'm not going to use everyday. I looked at the N7 but one of the things that I didn't like was there's no micro SD card slot. So I'm sure this question was asked many time over. But what are some of the pros and cons of the Nexus 7. I'm thinking about getting the 16g that will help with the no Sd card. How's the memory on it does it fill up fast? I like my apps LOL. Thanks to anyone that answers :D

Last edited:

AZImmortal

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
The storage will fill up as fast as you fill it up. I'm not sure how anyone else's usage of the storage would affect your decision considering only you can determine how much you'll use. You can root and use a USB OTG cable along with a flash drive if you feel that you need more storage.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Few apps take up more than like, 40 MB, except for games. And even then, it takes a lot of graphic-heavy games to reach even 1GB. I would only get the 16GB IF: A) you're really, really into gaming; or B) you want a lot of songs/movies available offline and on-the-go.

But be aware that the stated GB doesn't translate directly to usable data. I bought the 16GB (I'm just going to replace my iPod on my commute, so it'll be full of music), and the actual GB available is like 13 GB; it's probably 6GB for the 8GB model. I downloaded most of the apps I'll ever really need, and it's still only about 500MB; even if I download like 10 more games, I probably wouldn't reach 1GB.

As for the cons that most people list, there are easy workarounds. No flash? Just dl flash and the Xscope web browser (there's a sticky on it). No external memory? Root it and use a cable adapter. Etc. I've only had mine for a couple days, but I love it so far. The only other drawback is that a lot of them seem to have little defects here and there, at least on these forums.

Last edited:

AZImmortal

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Few apps take up more than like, 40 MB, except for games. And even then, it takes a lot of graphic-heavy games to reach even 1GB.

This is highly dependent on the app/game. For example, The Dark Knight Rises is 1.8gb. Also, to install any app/game, you need double the size to install it. Half of it would be to actually store the installation file and the other half is for installing the app/game onto, so if you had 3gb free, then that wouldn't be enough space to download and install The Dark Knight Rises. This is obviously an extreme case, but like I said to the OP, everyone uses their tablet differently.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, and the Gameloft games that are on sale now are around 1.8 to 2.0 GB each. If you like those kinds of games, you can fill up a 16GB tablet pretty fast.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
i have 9 FULL LENGTH movies, and about 400-500 songs and still have almost 3GB free. My regular library of music is over 1,600 songs, but I have them all on my phone, so I opted to go heavy on movies on the N7 and light on the music, since I often use pandora anyway. I don't feel it's a problem not to have an SD card slot--I never swap cards on my devices that have a slot, anyway. Of course 32GB would have been better, but I am happy that I got a great device with 16GB for $250. Sure beats spending a fortune for the Samsung Tab 7.7

kotbn18

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
For music use play music and put it all online for vids and pics use dropbox and/or Google drive. And use internal memory for apps and movies at least that's how I'd do it to manage 16gb

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
dropbox is great for reviewing/editing office docs (that's my main use) but it's also great for keeping handy, APK files that you want accessible if/when you need to reinstall the OS or get a replacement Android device (files such as Flash and Dolphin, for example). I place the APK files in a shared dropbox folder so that I can easily access those APK's when tweaking my dear wife's devices.