Documents and Attachments in Gmail App

ACordaro86

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
For work I need to be able to attach a picture and a document into email. First of all I'm not even sure where I can save pdf files onto the tablet when I plug it into my computer. Also the attachment icon brings you directly from the gmail app to the gallery....which makes it impossible to attach documents anyway. Prior to my purchase of the nexus I was struggling to figure out this dilemma on my android phone, trying different apps and anything I could think of. I literally upgraded to a tablet because I thought it would be simpler to deal with this problem. I would have never imagined that this issue wouldn't be fixed from Gingerbread to Jelly Bean! You can imagine my frustration. Can some please tell me how to do this?

jimbarr

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. When I tap the Attachment icon in Gmail on my N7, I get a menu with several option icons based on the additional applications I have installed. I guess the key is to install apps that support this.

For example, one is ES File Explorer. When I select it, it lets me navigate the file system and choose pretty much any file. (I only tried a few "Office" file types.)

Another is the Gallery icon which lets me select any picture form the Gallery.

Another is for OfficeSuite and another is QuickOffice which each let me select the documents they handle.

Depending on the app, I get different ways of selecting the files.

And yes, you can add multiple attachments.

Maybe we need to start a list of those apps that support this? Here are the apps that I have installed that appear as options:

• ASTRO File Manager
  • Dropbox
  • ES File Explorer
  • FreeNote
  • Gallery
  • OfficeSuite
  • QuickOffice

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
After installing a file explorer like as others mentioned, you will have it as an option to choose an attachment.

Since files and PDFs you download while browsing on the Nexus 7 will go to "Download" folder... I would suggest putting PDFs into that same folder when you connect to the computer. So it is all together. However, you are free to create a folder while connected to computer, called "PDFs" if you wish.

Example DCIM folder is where the camera pictures go, but I like to put manually copied pictures into "Pictures" folder.

Another tip...

Gmail attachment appears to not give an option for default app, but other files/actions will let you choose default app Always or Just Once. You can clear these choices if you don't like it later.

Whatever application a file or action opens to by default... go to the app in settings and clear the defaults.

Settings > swipe over to All > find whatever app that is opening by default
under Launch by default is Clear defaults.

drbb917

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I did not realize until now that there is no way to natively attach a file to an email in the Gmail app. I can attach a picture or video but not a document? I have to buy a separate app for this? Very disappointing. This seems like it should be a basic function of email.

I have OfficeSuite and QuickOffice and neither have a way to attach a document either.

Am I missing something here?

drbb917

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Any recommendations? I thought I had one, I have a 'My Files' app that came with my Galaxy Tab but I guess it is not the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol