Screen OFF but devouring battery?

mobilejack

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I've been very happy with excellent battery life, until yesterday. Now my battery is draining FAST, even sitting with the screen off. Looked at battery app and saw screen responsible for 97% battery use. Recharged to full, turned screen off, and same result again. What could be causing this?

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Did you get an update or download an app? Some apps are data hungry and will drain your battery
INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Next time your battery gets low, take a screenshot of the main battery life screen and then tap on the "display" percentage and take a screenshot of that so we can see how long the screen has been on. That might give us enough information to guess at the problem.

I'm getting about 6 hours-ish of screen time per charge (which means I recharge it every other day), and rarely does anything else even show up with any significant percentage unless I've been playing an intensive game.

paulsalter

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Noticed mine running down quicker than normal over the last few days

Under the battery option I have noticed something is waking up the device quite a lot (but cannot see what is doing this, unless its one of the below which are in the top for battery usage)

play store showed it kept device awake for an hour
maps kept it awake for around 45 mins

not sure if these apps have updated recently, but I have turned off the log my location in maps to see if it makes any difference

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Could be a radio issue, Bluetooth, Wifi, or GPS, and/or an app using that radio. I don't know off hand, BUT there is probably an app that can help you find the culprit. On the PlayBook we have an app called Battery Guru. I'm sure on Android there's a bunch of apps to choose from that analyze battery and usage data, and help you crunch the built in app's data.

paulsalter

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
ran the battery down today till it give me a warning to charge (14% think it was)

I have just finished charging it, going to leave it alone for a couple of hours and then check what the battery is

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Hmm OK do this as well put it in airplane e mode it'll cut off the radios no cell signal. O wifi blue tooth and then see what happens the results may be shocking
INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

paulsalter

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
after using it till it warned me to charge, then charging it up i have left it for 3 hours not using it
the battery is now at 97%, so it using about 1% battery per hour while idle (this is with everything left syncing, only thing off is BT)

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
after using it till it warned me to charge, then charging it up i have left it for 3 hours not using it
the battery is now at 97%, so it using about 1% battery per hour while idle (this is with everything left syncing, only thing off is BT)

My battery is driving me insane! The screen's at 77%, some app is at 6%, and everything else running is just pre-programmed (mediaserver at 6%, etc). I use it until I receive the 14% warning two hours ago--so I put it to sleep.. Just now I hear a noise, and it's the tablet telling me it's at 4%. The screen was at the minimum brightness, too! How the heck do I explain this sporadic battery to customer service??

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
lol is that directed at me? sad to think my problem is so outrageous that I must be trolling :p. also, I hope no trolls seriously waste their time making 50 Nexus-related posts--but you never know with trolls I guess ;)

my battery was great all day (unlike the day before), I got about ~4 hours total of wifi web browsing/note taking (screen was below minimum brightness with an app), then I played an app with minimum brightness for about half an hour until I got the 14% battery notification

That weird, faint little line where it dropped from red to reeeeaaaaallly low (note that the device was asleep) was when it went from 14% to 4%. it doesn't look like a 10% difference, but I'm not exaggerating--I only noticed when I heard the notification at 4%.
Afterwards, I charged it a little bit until the Google rep told me to let it die so the battery indicator can gauge the battery life. So now I'm letting it die lol.
after I posted this, someone explained that it might be the device syncing while asleep that ate up the battery so quickly, so that definitely makes more sense.
Screenshot_2012-09-05-21-34-16.png

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
lol is that directed at me? sad to think my problem is so outrageous that I must be trolling :p. also, I hope no trolls seriously waste their time making 50 Nexus-related posts--but you never know with trolls I guess ;)

my battery was great all day (unlike the day before), I got about ~4 hours total of wifi web browsing/note taking (screen was below minimum brightness with an app), then I played an app with minimum brightness for about half an hour until I got the 14% battery notification

That weird, faint little line where it dropped from red to reeeeaaaaallly low (note that the device was asleep) was when it went from 14% to 4%. it doesn't look like a 10% difference, but I'm not exaggerating--I only noticed when I heard the notification at 4%.
Afterwards, I charged it a little bit until the Google rep told me to let it die so the battery indicator can gauge the battery life. So now I'm letting it die lol.
after I posted this, someone explained that it might be the device syncing while asleep that ate up the battery so quickly, so that definitely makes more sense.
Click to view quoted image
Nope not directed at you. directed at the starter of this thread.

paulsalter

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
mine still seems much better now

fully charged 17 hours ago, now it's down to 52% left

the big drain for me was using netflix last night (10% battery per half hour, 1h45 film so used about 35% of battery)

does this sound normal for netflix, I am sure it used to be about half of this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair