Is there a way to configure Google Now to allow texts through Google Voice? By default it just says the device does not support texting.
    09-10-2012 12:35 AM
    You need to set up Google Voice and an app such as Talkatone or something similar. Then you can send/receive text and make/receive phone calls.
    09-10-2012 06:24 AM
    You need to set up Google Voice and an app such as Talkatone or something similar. Then you can send/receive text and make/receive phone calls.
    I don't think this will work. Yes, he could use google voice to text, but not through google now.

I believe he wants to say "Text to _____ with message _____ and have google now open google voice, input the text, and send the message.

This won't work because google voice cannot be set as the default texting app. I want this feature too, so if you figure it out let me know.
    09-10-2012 08:11 AM
    I don't think this would work. I believe you would need to set google voice as the default texting app. To my knowledge this is not even possible on a phone, much less a tablet. I want this feature too, so if you figure it out let me know.
    Yes it does work!!! I send text and make phone calls with my N7 every day.
    09-10-2012 08:19 AM
    I send texts occasionally with google voice on the N7 too. But I didn't know that you can make calls too?? How?
    09-10-2012 08:56 AM
    I don't think this will work. Yes, he could use google voice to text, but not through google now.

I believe he wants to say "Text to _____ with message _____ and have google now open google voice, input the text, and send the message.

This won't work because google voice cannot be set as the default texting app. I want this feature too, so if you figure it out let me know.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I was looking to do. I installed Talkatone and Google Now just responds with "This device cannot perform the action you requested."
    09-10-2012 12:16 PM
    Yes it does work!!! I send text and make phone calls with my N7 every day.
    Are we talking about the same thing? I know you can send texts from the google voice app, but does it interface with google now? Let me clarify:

I am not talking about:

Launching the 'google voice' app manually, then clicking compose, then using voice typing to compose the message.

Rather:

Launching 'google now', and saying "Send a text to ____ with message ____" and 'google now' launching 'google voice', inputting the text, and sending the message?

I am skeptical but if it does in fact work with google now, great!

Anyone else doing this with google now?
    09-10-2012 12:55 PM
    I send texts occasionally with google voice on the N7 too. But I didn't know that you can make calls too?? How?
    Check out the Talkatone app. There are many apps that let's you use the N7 as a phone but this is the one I am using.

- - - Updated - - -
    09-10-2012 01:03 PM
    Alright, I tested it. I am pretty confident at this point that integration between google now and google voice/Talkatone does not exist. Voice and Talkatone are great apps that do indeed give you the ability to call/text from a N7 tablet, but they cannot be triggered by google now.
    09-10-2012 09:36 PM