Reset my N7 due to major slowdowns on many apps, and the reset helped

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
This makes the second reset I've had to do. the first one was due to a problem with the calendar right from the get go. a reset fixed the calendar issues permanently (i made a thread about it, ages ago).

Recently I've been super frustrated with the speed of several apps:

1. Flipboard takes forever and a day to update, even if it's just been updated. Even the animation would get stuck when I'd pull down to update.

2. Google Talk took a long time to show me and my several family contacts. Google talk took forever to update the screen when I'd send any text--ie, my own text wouldn't show up for about 5 seconds or more.

3. deleting emails in the stock app, especially for my yahoo account take a loooong time. (is anyone having to wait many seconds for the screen to refresh when deleting several-to-12 emails at a time?)

4. general, intermittent slowdowns throughout.

Since I've restored, Flipboard is back to normal, as is Google Talk. haven't checked yet on yahoo, but so far the reset seems to have been worth the pain.

I'll update this ASAP if I see a return of problems with speed.

Have any of you had to do a reset, strictly due to slowdowns?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Very interesting...after the reset, Dolphin's Sonar now can accurately transcribe my speech instead of returning a message that it can't understand anything, even though Google always has been doing a great job of transcribing my speech. I had tried in the past to fix Sonar by uninstalling dolphin, but no luck. (i'm using 8.5.1 so that I can use Flash)

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
so glad I reset. Another app, StumbleUpon had been very slow to update pages. when I'd hit the stumble button, it would turn blue (to show it's activated) and stay blue for about 5 seconds, before it would request the next page. After the reset, the blue highlight is almost nonexistant and pages come in about a 1/2 second instead of many seconds.

I hope someone knows precisely what may have caused a general slowdown of my N7.

---------- Post Merged at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:31 AM ----------

about 2GB but the slowdown has been going on for weeks; well before I added more than 10GB of movies and music, which dropped free space down to about 2GB.

Last edited:

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
ah. but did you see where I said the slowdown was BEFORE I dropped free space to 2GB? prior to movies and music, I had about 11-12GB free and the N7 still ran slow

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Apparenlt. My wife's n7 has been fine since the same day that both were purchased

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jordanmarx

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I had this exact same problem with my nexus 7, and I did a reset, and the problem went away. I don't think its related to how much space is left on the hard drive, I think its related to certain apps I downloaded. I am now careful to download apps that have been updated for jelly bean, and if I download something, and I notice a slow down, I delete that app. This method has resolved my issues.

--Jordan

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Got any suspects in mind? I tried today to remove more than several apps that are resident--apps that stay in the notifications bar for instance and other utilities. Didn't fix slowdown
I'm stock and don't use a launcher.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I hope an update fixes this problem due to the time consumed by resets

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Even my awful storm2 was easier to reset but i hated that thing