Why are Dropbox & Swiftkey apps so popular?

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I use Drive and Dropbox - I like the feature to have all pictures sent immediately to Dropbox. Yes I know we have that baked into the OS as well, I like the back up in Dropbox. It's an easy way to share if I care to do so.

Swiftkey IMHO is the best keyboard for Android by far and away. The predictive feature is great the more you use it the better it knows you and what you are trying to say. It can save a lot of time if you have a long email to compose. I use the Swiftkey for Tablet on my GTab 8.9 and love the split keyboard feature.

Both got 5 stars from me because they just work as advertised, and they both keep getting better.

Jussumguy88

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
i bought swiftkey and it's awesome

I can agree. I didn't understand the hype over swift key until I had actually used it for a while. It really is great for the tablet. As far as drive vs drop box I can't give an accurate response to that... I have exclusively used drop box and i'm not sure how to use drive unless it's for documents.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Traveler5

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why are Dropbox & Swiftkey apps so popular?

I'm using Swift Key as a type this. Seems okay. We'll see.

---------- Post Merged at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Anyone use AI Keyboard? I use it as well and really like it. It acts a lot like SwiftKey keyboard.

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
i use SwiftKey because i type in multiple languages. And SwiftKey predictions works in all languages i use. Plus it learns... Sometimes it does predict pretty accurate you get like its reading my mind as i type. Crazy!

Last edited:

jimbarr

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I prefer the PHONE version of SwiftKey on my Nexus 7 because it lets me put a row of arrow keys at the bottom of the keyboard. This does two things: 1. It lets me easily navigate around text. 2. The row of arrow keys provides a sort of "buffer" row above the Nexus 7's soft buttons making it less likely to accidentally hit the "Home" button while typing. If I hit an arrow key by accident, who cares? But if I hit "Home" inadvertently, I now have to navigate back into the program.

JayJ-1974

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I use Dropbox and Drive, I prefer Dropbox though for it's sync of the camera on my S2 and it's direct links

I'm not a fan of Swiftkey, just my opinion.

Swyped from my AOKP ICS powered GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2?

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why anyone would use DropBox. Maybe some are just lazy to switch to Google Drive? Remember that Google Drive wasn't available until just recently (relatively speaking).

Swift keyboard is for everyone who doesn't like Swype. I think we all agree that the standard keyboard is a joke (I don't get how people type on iPhones). So the natural choice is Swype or Swift.
My wife hates the notion of swyping (i have no clue why... probably because she's coming from BlackBerry) so I bought her the Swift. I think she loves it.

Dropbox is far superior to drive with great video streaming and image thumbnails and much better integration between computer and mobile devices. Also, Dropbox gave out 20+ gigabytes free storage with the purchase of many Android devices, which beats the pants off of Drive. A better question is why would anyone use Google Drive, when they could be using Dropbox.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd been using swype beta as well as the google voice dictation, it annoyed me that swype has its own dictation tool so I was constantly switching back and forth between swype and the default keyboard. I finally gave swiftkey a try and there are two things I really like about it:

1. It can launch the google voice dictation app.
2. In terms of prediction, it has some built in tools that can really give it a headstart: I turned it loose on both my gmail account as well as my blog's rss feed and I think that really helped it in terms of prediction, it seems really good.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I've been using SwiftKey 3 for the last week, and it really is that good. Quite often it already knows what words you're going to type, and you can type out 4 or 5 words in a row, just by tapping them. The free 48 gigs I got from DropBox...and the automatic photo uploading (can be configured to when connected to WiFi only) is really handy as well.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Since I use Swiftkey on my HTC Amaze (ICS), I wanted the same keyboard on both devices. You won't see a LOT of improvement right after installing, you have to let it "learn" your words from Facebook and Gmail, then use it for a few weeks. Believe me, you'll see some disturbingly prescient predictions. There are a few bugs in Swiftkey 3 over v.2, but overall, I like it.

I didn't see any appeal of the "sold separately" Swiftkey for Tablets ... the 7" is small enough that the phone version is fine.

I frankly can use Drive or Dropbox interchangeably, most of my apps that access them (Total Commander, QuickPic, etc) work with both. But I have Gmail as well as Google Hosted Apps on my domain, so with Drive I'm switching between accounts regularly. It's harder on the desktop PC, where Chrome or Firefox often launch my Google account by default, and I have to logout and in again ... launch Authenticator for the two-step auth process ... PITA. Dropbox is quick and painless for quick file transfers that the Nexus 7 and Amaze can't do as easily.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
A better question is why would anyone use Google Drive, when they could be using Dropbox.

I think it depends on how/what you need to store. For example, I'm into digital photography and have about 3000 photos in galleries on a photo hosting site that has a low annual fee. They are primarily displayed, rather than shared, if you know what I mean.

I don't need a lot of room for personal documents so something like Google & Sky Drive work for me. I often compose documents online and use the cloud word processors and spreadsheets. I recently decided to use SkyDrive so I can sign out of my account since I sometimes let my grandchildren use my tablet. I can't sign out of Drive without removing my entire account from the Nexus Google ecosystem.

Notwithstanding the exception noted above, I'm getting tired of having so many separate accounts and passwords. I've uninstalled almost every app that I discover requires a new account pw and username such as the popular Evernote. I know a gazillion websites and apps that let you sign in with your Facebook account but I'm not inclined to use it with other sites. As much as I love the web (been using it longer than many of you are old - pre-browsers; listservs, etc), I have concerns about privacy. We've already unwittingly, or willingly, given up so much already.

Sorry for veering a bit off topic.

Last edited:

flux capacitor

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I installed swiftkey and hated it. I found it harder to use and frankly the predicted text doesn't seem any better than the default one. Also it seemed the keys were smaller or bunched together.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38