Create or find folders moved from PC Desktop

boaterbob1

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 7 for about 2 weeks and am amazed at all the features. However, moving a folder from my Desktop PC to the tablet has me stumped. I had a rather large folder including pictures, text docs and some other 'stuff'. I hooked up the tablet using the USB cable and right clicked on the Desktop folder and chose "Send to Nexus 7". Everything transferred but I saw no option to 'create' a folder name on the tablet nor was there any choice given as where to send the Desktop folder. So when the folder was completely transferred, I went to the tablet to find it. I did eventually find the pictures by going to the Apps page and selecting 'Gallery' - there were thumbnails of all the pictures.

However, is the a way I could have found the folder name on the tablet and moved the 'folder' to a Home Page? In "Gallery" there does not seem to be a 'folder' name to move to the Home Page - or am I missing something?

If I had use 'drag & drop' instead would I have seen a Home Page link on the tablet to drop the folder to?

Thanks
Robert in SC

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Just tried sending a file to my Nexus 7 like you did and the file went to the internal storage or /sdcard. If you use a file explorer like astro or root explorer just navigate to the sdcard and you should find your folder. I did notice I was given an option after selecting to send my folder to Nexus 7 about keeping the folder all together which said it wouldn't be able to play any media or I could choose to have all the media sent to correct folders (if you selected that then I'm not sure where your files went.
IMO the best way to share files from your PC to your Nexus 7 is using Google Drive this way you don't have to update after making any changes because it syncs and if you want to transfer files drag and drop on you sdcard file using your file explorer on your pc. Hope this helps

boaterbob1

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I use a file explorer like astro (which I just downloaded) to view my files/folders. Now, when I next want to move a file from the PC, will I see Astro (and thus options of where to download the file/folder to?)

Sometimes it takes time for me to grasp a concept :)

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
No you won't see Astro as a file it's an application that will navigate you through your internal storage. You should just create a folder to store all your file on your sdcard/internal storage. To do this using Astro open the app and on the top select "Locations" then "Local Storage 1" then on the top right you'll see a folder icon with the + sign hit that and name your folder. Then when you want to move a file or folder over connect you Nexus and on your PC open my computer and select Nexus 7>internal storage>find the folder you created and drag and drop there. Then follow the astro directions to locate it on your N7.

Here is a link to download Google Drive on your PC https://tools.google.com/dlpage/drive/index.html?pli=1 which is IMO the best way to access files/folder

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam