DLNA/AllShare like app included on the Nexus 7?

iamblob

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Does the Nexus 7 have something like AllShare on the Samsung Galaxy SII? I love being able to stream videos stored on my Windows 7 PC wirelessly and so simply without any fuss or downloading. If not, can someone recommend, preferably, a free app that can do that? Thanks.

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There is no native app that I know of on the N7 that will serve via DLNA. Let me look into a few options later tonight (hopefully) to see what is available. I don't currently stream from my android devices via DLNA, but you're not the first person to ask and now I'm just interested in finding the solution. If no one else speaks up before then, I'll try to give some feedback later on with what I find.

rich.v

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I didn't try it on my nexus 7 yet but I will when I get home but for my phones and tv I use twonky to stream everything at home

iamblob

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey thanks for the quick replies. I look forward to the answers. Just to be clear things up I want to be able to just watch stuff on the N7 itself while the files are actually stored on my W7 PC. The N7 16GB is going to be on sale this Saturday and I'm wondering if I should get a Samsung tablet instead which would have AllShare which does exactly what I want.

rubrnek

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Try aVia media player. I've used it to stream from my phone to my tablet, but it should see your computers allshare dlna server. I like it better than twonky, its easier and faster.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey thanks for the quick replies. I look forward to the answers. Just to be clear things up I want to be able to just watch stuff on the N7 itself while the files are actually stored on my W7 PC. The N7 16GB is going to be on sale this Saturday and I'm wondering if I should get a Samsung tablet instead which would have AllShare which does exactly what I want.

Whoa, I completely misread the original post. Unfortunately, I don't have AllShare installed on my PC, so this wont be possible for me to test. I'm not sure if AllShare functions as a true DLNA server or if it is something a bit more proprietary. I'll see what I can do about possibly installing it to test it out.

The alternative would be to install a DLNA server or your PC (of which there are many - I use serviio) and a DLNA client on all of your devices. This would render the AllShare app on your phone useless, but would free you from being locked into proprietary services.

DavdEBSmith

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
If you're trying to stream media from your PC to your Nexus 7, I was able to do this using MediaHouse on my N7 and either Serviio or TVersity as a DLNA/UPnP server on my PC. For files that aren't supported natively on the N7 like .FLV or .MKV, either Dice Player or MX Player works. Now, the N7 couldn't really keep up with HD video streamed over WiFi, but my DLNA-ready TV couldn't keep up with HD video over WiFi either. But audio, photos, regular-def video all work great.

iamblob

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Is there something special about Serviio or TVersity? I currently use Windows 7 and it natively includes a DLNA server and it works perfectly with AllShare on the Samsung Galaxy SII. All DLNA servers should be equal, right? I really don't want to buy or install more software on the PC.

Sorry if I confused everyone. I basically just wanted to know if the N7 had something like Samsung's AllShare DLNA client so that I can watch videos on the N7.

By the way, I don't own a N7. I just wanted to find out first whether it came with a pre-installed DLNA client app. The Samsung Tab 2 7" is my other possible choice but it doesn't come with JB and I prefer stock android over Samsung's TouchWiz :( I think the display on the N7 is better too. Choices choices choices... sigh lol.

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I use Serviio because I don't much care for Windows Media Player, plus I think a few more formats are supported. Serviio is free btw. In essence, however, all DLNA servers should accomplish the same thing, some may just support a few more filetypes.

There is no native app as far as I'm aware on the N7. Just tested out aVia and MediaHouse. Both work perfectly fine streaming from my DLNA server. Both are free but they have pro (read: paid) versions. If you can tolerate ads, the free version may be perfectly acceptable. If not, the N7 still comes with a $25 play credit so you could easily pick up aVia for 99 cents and not have to pay out of pocket.

If they can pick up serviio, I'm certain they'll pick up Windows Media Player 12 served files as well. Also, if you bought the Nexus at a local store, most have a limited return window where you could take it back for a refund if it doesn't stream as you're hoping.

Edit: scratch that, aVia's paid version is just for more languages. I didn't test it out for too long; I just wanted to see if it would work fine.

iamblob

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again. Great, ok, so one way or another I'll be covered. Staples is having a 10% off all tablets door-crasher sale this Saturday here so the 16GB will go for $233-ish. But their service is horrible, I hate returning things there, so if I buy something I have to be 100% sure I'm going to keep it.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I use BubbleUPnP on the N7 to select the folders on my PC served up by Windows Media Player over my home network.
The N7 needs a player also. I like MX player.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
To simply stream videos from my computer using my local WiFi network, I just use BS Player. I think MX Player also does streaming now. To use a different media player or for audio, you can also stream using a file explorer app, like Solid Explorer or ES File Explorer. You just need to share the appropriate folders on your computer.

I also use BubbleUPnP. This let's me stream from my Nexus 7 to my LG TV that has DLNA built in. This is a nice wireless solution if the movie or music is on my Nexus 7 instead of my computer. It also allows me to stream from my computer to my Nexus 7 even if I'm not on my local WiFi network (so if I'm half way around the world I should be able to use my Nexus 7 to watch movies stored on my computer) . To do so, you also need to have a DLNA server (I use the free Serviio) and BubbleUPnP Server (free) installed on your computer. There are some limitations to this unless you get the paid version of BubbleUPnP.

I'm not sure if this information applies to your needs, but perhaps it will be useful to someone!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

loosecannon6

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Imediashare is the app you are looking for I just read the post and looked for an app and I found imediashare works good theres a paid and lite version if u wanna stream the content you already have on your n7 just use the free version

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
They're currently working on XBMC for Android (Nightlies at xda-developers) - streams everything except HD just fine.

iamblob

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your responses. What a great community!

I wasn't able to get a N7 like I had planned, but will hopefully get one soon or win one *hint hint* lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz