NFC ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwr3ck3d

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I got some NFC tags today. Anyone have some cool ideas for using them in a unique way?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Work Tag - volume down, Vibrate | Home Tag

tag on your car dock to turn off wifi, turn up volume, and start Music app

Indoor tag on your key chain- turn off GPS, reduce brightness etc

outdoor tag on your key chain- turn on GPS, Increase brightness etc

Laundry timer

JimboDeany

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Why not stick one on your case/bag and have it turn down all the energy sapping functions? Then have one attached to your keyring/top of bag that restores it to full juice mode?

dwr3ck3d

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
i just think it is a useless feature.totally.

I wouldn't say it's useless... but it's also a relatively new technology that hasn't completely caught on yet. There is a lot of potential to have some cool apps and other ideas come out. Just probably isn't worth it to developers yet because not enough devices have it.

jnb5531

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Useless? It makes qr codes and mobile bar codes irrelevant. Google wallet makes PayPal and all the fast pass payment options irrelevant. The uses for advertisement and sharing is limitless.

I'm curious about the uses as well. How did you go about purchasing NFC tags? How do you program them for your needs?

Beacio_mo

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a tag in my car for my GS2 to turn up the brightness, turn off wifi, turn on Assistant, and turn on Bluetooth.

For Home, the reverse of everything.
Haven't really messed with the NFC tags for my Nexus, maybe I'll do another car tag to open my podcast app and turn off wifi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
i just think it is a useless feature.totally.

I pretty much agree haven't found a use for it yet.

Alarms - the alarm app allows me to set what I want and forget it. Why would I need to turn it on again? You can set multiple alarms too.

Settings - I work from home, so I don't go anywhere. If I had to go into the office, I don't need an NFC tag to just press the volume down button for vibrate.

I don't know, I just still don't see the point. For shopping I'd like to see, but I haven't seen any NFC payment options anywhere.

My wife did say she wants to use it to text me in the other room when dinner is ready. Lol. Maybe that's good.

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
This is all interesting. So you buy the tags....then do what? How do you program?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Combining NFC tags and Tasker tasks, the possibilities are endless. For example, when I get in my car, my NFC tag in conjunction with Tasker disables WiFi, enables Bluetooth, connects to my stereo, launches Google Music, begins playing, and gives a pop up to launch Navigation if needed. That's one of my more simple setups.

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I always thought NFC was pretty lame also. I never seen much sense in using it to be honest and I mostly forget that I even have it on my phone and Nexus 7. But what LG is doing with it is pretty awesome. I came across a review of LG's NFC Tag + when I was considering getting the ridiculous Intuition (Thank god I went to the store and didn't order it without having held it first) and I'm kind of curious about it. Is there an app that can do the things that Tag + does? For how cheap NFC Tags are, I would be willing to mess around with them if I could set it to do useful things like that.

For those wondering what NFC Tag+ is, here is the review I am talking about. Feature Review: LG Tag + on the Verizon Wireless LG Intuition - GadgetNerdly

SamOliver

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I though it was cool at first on my galaxy Nexus and bought a bunch of NFC tags. I've only used 1 of the NFC tags so far (I use it to turn on car home ultra when I put it in the car dock) and I really can't think of any practical uses for it.

TOOLEY

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
You purchase the NFC Tags. Touch one to the back of the device upon initial setup a NFC tag app is loaded onto the device. After that you can select your program than tap the tag to enable the set the tag as use able. Tags can be rewritable or locked n once locked they cannot be deleted or changed as I understand it. Also read that NFC tags r best if Not used on Metal surfaces

Hope i explained a bit

dn01se

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I've actually been wanting to go a little further with NFC, just not sure how. Ex: A lot, but not all, of the coded car keys are NFC. My Chrysler is and I would love to be able to bypass the ignition switch using my phone as a "key" and just install a push button start. Another would be NFC to enter my house as opposed to a physical key. I've seen plenty of key fob systems for both purposes, but how do you "copy" those codes?

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
wait..i thought i knew what NFC was. Now I'm a little confused...

NFC is general in Near Field Communication, it allows to send short text/data message to 2nd device in few cm range, there also passive tags which replay same message ocne it will be powered by NFC waves of your phone and there writable tags which allows you to create your own ;] In other words it's like QR Code but it use radio waves.

I think what NFC needs... is to be on iPhone :p that would boost this technology a lot, or arternativly get it on cheaper Android phones like Galaxy Ace series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood