07-25-2013 01:47 PM
93 123 ...
tools
    I got some NFC tags today. Anyone have some cool ideas for using them in a unique way?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    09-20-2012 12:26 PM
    Work Tag - volume down, Vibrate | Home Tag

tag on your car dock to turn off wifi, turn up volume, and start Music app

Indoor tag on your key chain- turn off GPS, reduce brightness etc

outdoor tag on your key chain- turn on GPS, Increase brightness etc

Laundry timer
    dwr3ck3d, Jussumguy88 and sfrrr like this.
    09-20-2012 12:54 PM
    i just think it is a useless feature.totally.
    09-25-2012 04:48 AM
    wait..i thought i knew what NFC was. Now I'm a little confused...
    09-25-2012 05:24 AM
    Why not stick one on your case/bag and have it turn down all the energy sapping functions? Then have one attached to your keyring/top of bag that restores it to full juice mode?
    09-25-2012 08:10 AM
    I wouldn't say it's useless... but it's also a relatively new technology that hasn't completely caught on yet. There is a lot of potential to have some cool apps and other ideas come out. Just probably isn't worth it to developers yet because not enough devices have it.

09-25-2012 09:01 AM
    Could you stick one on your smart phone and have it auto tether?
    DannyDefinit and Jussumguy88 like this.
    09-25-2012 09:54 AM
    Useless? It makes qr codes and mobile bar codes irrelevant. Google wallet makes PayPal and all the fast pass payment options irrelevant. The uses for advertisement and sharing is limitless.

I'm curious about the uses as well. How did you go about purchasing NFC tags? How do you program them for your needs?

09-25-2012 04:41 PM
    I have a tag in my car for my GS2 to turn up the brightness, turn off wifi, turn on Assistant, and turn on Bluetooth.

For Home, the reverse of everything.
    Haven't really messed with the NFC tags for my Nexus, maybe I'll do another car tag to open my podcast app and turn off wifi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    sfrrr likes this.
    09-25-2012 05:34 PM
    I pretty much agree haven't found a use for it yet.

Alarms - the alarm app allows me to set what I want and forget it. Why would I need to turn it on again? You can set multiple alarms too.

Settings - I work from home, so I don't go anywhere. If I had to go into the office, I don't need an NFC tag to just press the volume down button for vibrate.

I don't know, I just still don't see the point. For shopping I'd like to see, but I haven't seen any NFC payment options anywhere.

My wife did say she wants to use it to text me in the other room when dinner is ready. Lol. Maybe that's good.
    09-27-2012 11:55 AM
    This is all interesting. So you buy the tags....then do what? How do you program?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    09-27-2012 01:35 PM
    This is all interesting. So you buy the tags....then do what? How do you program?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    Using an app. Samsungs tags has a free app you get in the play store and program them.
    09-27-2012 02:36 PM
    Combining NFC tags and Tasker tasks, the possibilities are endless. For example, when I get in my car, my NFC tag in conjunction with Tasker disables WiFi, enables Bluetooth, connects to my stereo, launches Google Music, begins playing, and gives a pop up to launch Navigation if needed. That's one of my more simple setups.
    09-27-2012 05:47 PM
    I always thought NFC was pretty lame also. I never seen much sense in using it to be honest and I mostly forget that I even have it on my phone and Nexus 7. But what LG is doing with it is pretty awesome. I came across a review of LG's NFC Tag + when I was considering getting the ridiculous Intuition (Thank god I went to the store and didn't order it without having held it first) and I'm kind of curious about it. Is there an app that can do the things that Tag + does? For how cheap NFC Tags are, I would be willing to mess around with them if I could set it to do useful things like that.

For those wondering what NFC Tag+ is, here is the review I am talking about. Feature Review: LG Tag + on the Verizon Wireless LG Intuition - GadgetNerdly
    10-05-2012 07:00 PM
    When I read something that sounds useful using these tags I will immediately buy them.

naemcivic likes this.
    10-05-2012 07:07 PM
    I though it was cool at first on my galaxy Nexus and bought a bunch of NFC tags. I've only used 1 of the NFC tags so far (I use it to turn on car home ultra when I put it in the car dock) and I really can't think of any practical uses for it.
    naemcivic likes this.
    10-05-2012 07:48 PM
    You purchase the NFC Tags. Touch one to the back of the device upon initial setup a NFC tag app is loaded onto the device. After that you can select your program than tap the tag to enable the set the tag as use able. Tags can be rewritable or locked n once locked they cannot be deleted or changed as I understand it. Also read that NFC tags r best if Not used on Metal surfaces

Hope i explained a bit
    imtoomuch, MJKearney and sfrrr like this.
    10-05-2012 07:54 PM
    Use NFC to download video games, pay for movies and sync to computers.
    10-05-2012 07:59 PM
    I've actually been wanting to go a little further with NFC, just not sure how. Ex: A lot, but not all, of the coded car keys are NFC. My Chrysler is and I would love to be able to bypass the ignition switch using my phone as a "key" and just install a push button start. Another would be NFC to enter my house as opposed to a physical key. I've seen plenty of key fob systems for both purposes, but how do you "copy" those codes?
    10-05-2012 08:20 PM
    wait..i thought i knew what NFC was. Now I'm a little confused...
    NFC is general in Near Field Communication, it allows to send short text/data message to 2nd device in few cm range, there also passive tags which replay same message ocne it will be powered by NFC waves of your phone and there writable tags which allows you to create your own ;] In other words it's like QR Code but it use radio waves.

I think what NFC needs... is to be on iPhone that would boost this technology a lot, or arternativly get it on cheaper Android phones like Galaxy Ace series
    anon(883913) and Justinicus like this.
    10-05-2012 09:05 PM
    I was thinking about implementing NFC in my company. Instead of using a conventional punch clock for employees to dock their hours and punch in/out for lunch or breaks, each and every one of the employee would get their individual tag to check-in and checkout of work. The only downside to this is, security issue with fraudulent usage of the device. Would this work?
    sndplace likes this.
    10-05-2012 09:20 PM
    Yes it would work, but you are right about the fraud. We used to have cards at my work and people would have other people's cards and clock them in even though they weren't there. Or if they were going to be late, somebody else would clock them in to make it seem like they were there on time. To eliminate this, they replaced it with a hand punch time clock. When they register you on there, it takes a reading of your hand and saves it. To clock in you type your last 4 of social and place your hand on the thing and it knows its you. I'm not sure how. We have tried many ways to cheat it though. I know lotion and jewelry effect it and doesn't let your hand scan properly sometimes. We have tried having somebody with very similar hands, but no dice. HOWEVER.... i can use my LEFT hand upside down, and it knows it's me somehow..

(off NFC on cellphone topic per say) I'm pretty sure the technology exists already, but I would like to be able to assign phone extensions to each person. And if you call the extension, the system sensors everywhere in the building would find them and re-route the call to any available phone near them and ring it. If somebody else answered just ask if they are around. This would eliminate wasting time calling their desk or paging them, increasing productivity. Like I said, I'm pretty sure it exists and probably too expensive for us to justify the cost.
    sndplace likes this.
    10-05-2012 09:36 PM
    I use a Galaxy Nexus and have the following NFC tags, created with NFC Task Launcher, that I use regularly.

1) Tap to show Wi-Fi password. I placed this over my Wi-Fi router and it allows any guest to quickly get the password without asking me.

2) Tap to decrease volume/lower brightness before going to bed (vice versa for waking up). I placed this on my nightstand next to my bed.

3) Tap to maximize brightness, volume and launch Google Maps Navigation (go back to original settings and home screen on subsequent tap). I placed this on my phone's car dock so that it launches every time I need it!

4) Tap to instantly check-in to Google Latitude and Foursquare. I placed this on my desk at work. However, since Google Latitude is incredibly accurate at auto-checkins, I don't use this tag much. I can see how it could be useful if one tag were placed on every table at a restaurant or venue.

NFC Task Launcher makes all of these tasks easy to program. I bought my
    tags from Tagstand.
    10-05-2012 09:50 PM
    I bought some just to try out and I have one on my backpack's handle and when i get to school I use it to turn off all sounds, turn on wifi to connect to school, open some apps that tether to my laptop and text my wife letting her know I made it to school. ( she told me to stop texting her when I get to school everyday, lol) Then I tap it again at end of school day to turn on sounds and turn off wifi, turn on bluetooth and again text my wife letting her know I'm on my way, have food ready! LOL

I want better ideas for the rest of the tags I have though. I will be using one when I get a bluetooth stereo in my car to connect and start playing podcasts etc
    mercado79, sndplace, gnr_2 and 1 others like this.
    10-05-2012 09:52 PM
    just thought of a unique idea for myself

I teach english in Korea and i have 1 classroom that i always teach in. SO, I will set up a tag on my front desk on a tablet stand so when i put my tablet on that stand it will begin a timer (so i know how much time is left in each class), turn off wifi, turn down brightness, and begin a recording app (so i can record lessons), and more if i can think of anything
    sfrrr likes this.
    10-05-2012 10:00 PM
93 123 ...