My Staples Nexus 7 Screen Lift Experience

c1im8er

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
So I bought a 16GB Nexus 7 at Staples yesterday. I was offered the usual extended warranty, etc. and the manager mentioned the quality control issues that have been occurring. I of course declined even with a "discount". Upon opening it and using it for a short time I noticed that the oft-cited left side of the screen was raised above the bezel. I was afraid the problem would get worse so I took it back today.

The assistant manager promptly took the tablet and tried his best to get his fingernail under the screen, something I would never have considered doing. He got me a new one out of the back and made the exchange. On fine-toothed examination of the new tablet there is some minor lift of the left side of the screen. To give a good idea of the severity or lack thereof, take a Nexus 7, set it on it's side, turn your head sideways so you are looking across the tablet to the left edge, and while about 2.5 feet from the tablet move your head toward the surface the tablet is on (works best with the tablet sitting on something black). For me, as I move down, the sliver edge of the bezel disappears due to the screen lifting when my head is about 5-6 inches off the table.

I'm trying to decide whether to take this back too or use it for a few days and see if it gets worse. I have 14 days. The device is great but I can't risk losing $250 is the problem gets worse or the screen cracks. And why the assistant manager tried to force his fingernail under the screen on the one I returned, I have no idea....Thoughts?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I have one with far more severe screen lift, and I got it basically a week after Staples started stocking them, so my possibility of a Staples return is gone. However, this would clearly be considered a manufacturers defect, and I'm keeping an eye on it - if it starts lifting further I will probably call Google for a warranty swap before the screen starts getting stressed if it looks like that might happen - because I do not want the screen to crack.

I'd say keep it for a week and see if it becomes something you can live with. If so, call it a love story. If not, swap it again.

richjolliff#AC

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I stood at the counter and went through 3 new nexus 7's until we found one without the lifted screen. The Staples techs were awesome and didn't want me to leave with a defective device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The Staples techs knew they were saving their own company money as well, since they can just process the units as defective without having to go through customer returns paperwork.

Or, of course, they knew the units would be marked down as open-box and they could buy them on the cheap with just a very minor cosmetic defect (which is what a lot of us with screen-lift units consider the defect to be, though if it's enough to detract from your personal enjoyment of the device you do have the absolute right to a perfect unit in exchange for your money - I'm not hatin' on the people who return them!).

rhino413

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
ok I just bought a nexus 7 from staples yesterday and it has no screen lift what it does have is a separation of the adhesive applied to the gorilla glass
not the screen. This issue is common on devices with gorilla glass I know this because my TV a Sony Bravia with gorilla glass has this same issue.
the adhesive started to come off almost a week after I bought the TV rather than return it and most likely deal with the issue later. I opted to fix the issue
being an Computer/Electronics engineer I just removed the gorilla glass using the same technique as removing a Macbook pro glass screen and applied high grade contact cement. cleaned the glass front and back and re applied the glass to the device applying light pressure on the adhesive areas and Wham OH fixed. Glass has not been in a problem in over a year. I will do the same to this Nexus as well just keep in mind the Gorilla glass is glued on last it sits right on top of the LCD screen but is not attached to the screen you could use an electronics heat gun set to low angled at about a 45 degree pitch pointing away from the center of the screen and some tooth picks to pop up the screen and remove the gorilla glass to clean and re apply if you wish. This is due to a poor choice in adhesives by the manufacturer.

Gareeth

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I am a bit late wading in here but since i just had this issue I will give a positive experience. I bought my device in November. Most reviews seemed to think screen lift was a thing of the past. I didn't fully understand what the noisy buttons would signify down the road and it took two months for the screen to become unresponsive. After it did I started trying to contact ASUS. (An almost week long process) Despite it being a well documented problem and one that was on many of the first models they shipped and that they seemed to have replaced with little hassle they focussed on the crack that developed in the days the device sat on my desk. That it would crack is elementary physics and a well documented part of the progression but I hit a brick wall with both tier one and two support there.

I contacted Chapters Indigo mainly to make them aware they may have defective product on shelves still and that people will have a hard time getting support. They arranged a replacement for me. They didn't need to. They were under no obligation at all to. They will also deal with ASUS which I imagine will go less pleasantly for ASUS than if they had just accepted responsibility. The rep I talked to did say that there is still about a 1 percent failure rate on an assembly line even if on the whole a defect is "fixed" it can occur randomly.

Anyway on a forum full of aggravating support experiences I thought for a change I would mention one that turned out well.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I am a bit late wading in here but since i just had this issue I will give a positive experience. I bought my device in November. Most reviews seemed to think screen lift was a thing of the past. I didn't fully understand what the noisy buttons would signify down the road and it took two months for the screen to become unresponsive. After it did I started trying to contact ASUS. (An almost week long process) Despite it being a well documented problem and one that was on many of the first models they shipped and that they seemed to have replaced with little hassle they focussed on the crack that developed in the days the device sat on my desk. That it would crack is elementary physics and a well documented part of the progression but I hit a brick wall with both tier one and two support there.

I contacted Chapters Indigo mainly to make them aware they may have defective product on shelves still and that people will have a hard time getting support. They arranged a replacement for me. They didn't need to. They were under no obligation at all to. They will also deal with ASUS which I imagine will go less pleasantly for ASUS than if they had just accepted responsibility. The rep I talked to did say that there is still about a 1 percent failure rate on an assembly line even if on the whole a defect is "fixed" it can occur randomly.

Anyway on a forum full of aggravating support experiences I thought for a change I would mention one that turned out well.

I would think the majority of readers here haven't go a clue who Chapters Indigo is unless they are from Canada.

I wasn't aware that Chapters even sold the Nexus until I searched.

The main thing is you got looked after and are a happy customer.

Last edited:

RobbH

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
can you guys take some pics of this screen lift for me? I'm sending my wife down to the states to get a N7 next weekend, and want her to be aware of this and check the device before she leaves the Walmart. Many Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae