Most Android Tablets are expensive toys

hichris123

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
You can do many more tasks quickly on a computer. For example, video editing. Much faster on a PC. Typing is easier, unless you have a Bluetooth keyboard. Higher quality video, you get the point.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jimbarr

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
No, no, NO! You have it ALL wrong!!!

In your effort to write off the Nexus 7 as an expensive toy, you completely miss the key aspect that makes it so extremely useful (to me, anyway): Offline content.

OK, so my frame of reference is very deeply rooted in a PDA past without 24x7 connectivity: I used PalmOS devices since the week they were first released, and when Palm dropped the ball in the PDA market, I moved to an iPod Touch. Hell, I didn't get a smartphone with a data plan until last year. Everything needed to be strategised to maximize access to offline content.

So now, enter the Nexus 7. If you try to use the Nexus 7 as a 24x7 always-connected device, you will be SORELY disappointed. In this case, you are really better off buying a 3G iPad or learn how to tether your Nexus 7. But if you view the Nexus 7 as a portable content device with occasional 'net connectivity, you will see it in a whole new light.

Come on folks, My Nexus 7 has 16GB (OK, 13GB after the OS) of storage. How much do I really need? I downloaded some music to it, saved some PDFs, saved several ebooks and magazines, and I have a small collection of games that I like. I now have a nice entertainment platform useful wherever I am regardless of available connectivity. Sure, you could call such use a toy, but then I leverage apps like Pocket, and I will have useful current content to read whenever I want. And if I want to or need to be productive, I can use any surprisingly robust apps like any of the decent Office suites (KingSoft, Docs to Go, QuickOffice, etc.) to view, edit, and create documents for personal and work use. Sure, typing isn't as easy as a "real" keyboard, but that's not why I have my Nexus 7. If I'm going to bang out lots of content, i'll be at a desktop or use a laptop with a real keyboard. My Nexus 7 is more for consumption than creation. So does that make it a toy?

And what makes it even better is that when you DO have 'net connectivity, you can update apps, calendars, newsfeeds, download more content, send and receive email, etc. Again, do you really NEED 24x7 connectivity with this kind of device? And if you do, there are solutions.

To me, it's a tool, not a toy. A pricey and possibly unnecessary tool? Possibly, but I certainly don't see it as a toy.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
As of Feb 2012, IIRC more smartphones were sold than PCs. A few years ago, laptops took over from desktops. PCs will always be around but the trend is clear, most people simply don't need the power a desktop offers.

Personally, I'm looking forward the having a Surface Pro as my primary machine with a Nexus 7 for lightweight content consumption.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Just because it is worth more now doesn't mean it will be in the future.

I personally don't consider a tablet a mobile device some people buy laptops that never leave their homes, the same for tablets.

Facebook. Probably the number one thing people do on computers, and yet still more commonly done on smartphones and tablets .

tell me why the average person needs a computer instead of a tablet ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Typing at more than 30 wpm tops, having a proper office suite, web browsing at 3+ time the speed of any mobile, ridiculously better multitasking with a taskbar and the ability to have multiple applications running on the desktop at the same time without having to switch between them, having thousands of gigabytes of storage, having proper image/video editing, faster smoother flash and java, better smoother playing of HD video, the ability to play games that make mobile ones look downright ugly, millions of specialized Applications that are only available on PC's, having a screen that's bigger than 5 inches, the list is endless. Please tell me something a mobile device can do better than a PC, besides being mobile.

And you just admitted yourself that PCs aren't dead by saying that the mobile market isn't worth more yet, but you think it soon will be. What you are saying then is that the PC market is still alive and more valuable, but that you believe that that will change in the future, which is a very different thing. Backtracking isn't helping your argument. Again, I hate to break it to you, but most people have better things to do with technology than waste time on Facebook (which is also faster and smoother on a PC).

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
As of Feb 2012, IIRC more smartphones were sold than PCs. A few years ago, laptops took over from desktops. PCs will always be around but the trend is clear, most people simply don't need the power a desktop offers.

Personally, I'm looking forward the having a Surface Pro as my primary machine with a Nexus 7 for lightweight content consumption.

Laptops are still PC's. He said PC's are dead. I can certainly see Desktops declining significantly in the next decade. A laptop offers a similar sized screen to a desktop, as well as a keyboard and mouse and more powerful hardware than tablets and cell phones.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
That's the point of carrying a dumbphone and cellular-enabled tablet. Getting away from work. I can take the tablet out with me if or when I need it. If I need to bring along a keyboard, I can. Different levels.

Windows 8 tablets are compelling to me. Things like the Transformer line from Asus and the now-dead Webtop functionality from Motorola are compelling to me.

If I'm at home, I'm definitely going to sit down at a PC, be it desktop or laptop.

Microsoft Word.

But a netbook is going to be the same size/weight as a tablet with a keyboard. I would never use my tablet for any trip were I need to be doing real typing, I would use my netbook with windows 8 and Office 365.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
But a netbook is going to be the same size/weight as a tablet with a keyboard. I would never use my tablet for any trip were I need to be doing real typing, I would use my netbook with windows 8 and Office 365.

But I wouldn't always bring a keyboard with me.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
In which case it can't match the productivity of something with a real keyboard, which is my point.

But my point is that I have more steps.

Dumbphone only: Getting away but still being connected.

Dumbphone + tablet: Consuming content

Dumbphone + tablet + keyboard: Productivity on the go.

Go home or to the office and use "real equipment": Ultimate productivity.

rubrnek

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Typing at more than 30 wpm tops, having a proper office suite, web browsing at 3+ time the speed of any mobile, ridiculously better multitasking with a taskbar and the ability to have multiple applications running on the desktop at the same time without having to switch between them, having thousands of gigabytes of storage, having proper image/video editing, faster smoother flash and java, better smoother playing of HD video, the ability to play games that make mobile ones look downright ugly, millions of specialized Applications that are only available on PC's, having a screen that's bigger than 5 inches, the list is endless. Please tell me something a mobile device can do better than a PC, besides being mobile.

Again this is all computer geek stuff.

Most people don't care about any of that.

And again I don't consider a tablet necessarily a mobile device, only computer geeks consider it as such.

Enjoy your computer I'm sure its wonderful, it will probably be the last one you ever buy

rubrnek

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft Word.

I don't think the average person has a need for Microsoft word. My daughter uses it in school but its funny how their netbooks are being replaced with iPads

Basic word processing can be done fine on tablets

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the average person has a need for Microsoft word. My daughter uses it in school but its funny how their netbooks are being replaced with iPads

Basic word processing can be done fine on tablets

But businesses require more.

I probably should have said Microsoft Office instead of simply Microsoft Word.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
But my point is that I have more steps.

Dumbphone only: Getting away but still being connected.

Dumbphone + tablet: Consuming content

Dumbphone + tablet + keyboard: Productivity on the go.

Go home or to the office and use "real equipment": Ultimate productivity.

But a netbook PC is going to give you better productivity on the go.

rubrnek

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
But businesses require more.

I probably should have said Microsoft Office instead of simply Microsoft Word.

The average person is not a business and therefore doesn't need a PC. A tablet is a much better choice, and the trend toward tablets proves this. The personal PC is dead.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site

Basic word processing can be done fine on tablet

The average person doesn't have a need for Microsoft word? LOL, you just lost all credibility. 500 MILLION people reply on Word every day from businesses to school children. That's nearly double the population of the United States. What world do you live in? Your post is so ridiculous I'm at a loss at how to even respond. You still haven't answered what task can be done on a mobile device that can't be done better on a PC, besides being mobile. Your argument has no data to back it up besides you thinking that nobody needs more than a Facebook toy, because you don't.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The average person is not a business and therefore doesn't need a PC. A tablet is a much better choice, and the trend toward tablets proves this. The personal PC is dead.

The personal PC and tablets are blending together.

See Windows 8 and Windows 8 RT.

People like tablets now, but they still need to be productive. Microsoft's path proves this.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The personal PC and tablets are blending together.

See Windows 8 and Windows 8 RT.

People like tablets now, but they still need to be productive. Microsoft's path proves this.

I consider the surface to be more of a PC than a tablet. It's basically an ultrabook with a detachable keyboard. With the keyboard it weighs more than many netbooks and without the keyboard it's not nearly as productive. I'll certainly be buying one to replace my ultra book, however. I just wish they were making a 7 inch version as well.

rubrnek

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
The average person doesn't have a need for Microsoft word? LOL, you just lost all credibility. 500 MILLION people reply on Word every day from businesses to school children. That's nearly double the population of the United States. Your post is so ridiculous I'm at a loss at how to even respond. You still haven't answered what task can be done better on a mobile device that can't be done better on a PC, besides being mobile. Your argument has no data to back it up besides you thinking that nobody needs more than a Facebook toy, because you don't.

The average person does not need microsoft word you still seem to be using business pc?s in your point. I'm saying for the average person outside of business and school, which is the majority of people, the PC is dead.

That its the fact. You lose. I declare myself the winner here. Tablets FTW

P. S. Paper is dead too.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The average person does not need microsoft word you still seem to be using business pc’s in your point. I'm saying for the average person outside of business and school, which is the majority of people, the PC is dead.

...Just.

..wow...

Mature much?

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The average person does not need microsoft word you still seem to be using business pc?s in your point. I'm saying for the average person outside of business and school, which is the majority of people, the PC is dead.

P. S. Paper is dead too.

The average person doesn't go to school or have a job? Are you mentally disabled? 500 million people use word alone. That's well over twice the amount of tablets that exist. In your own words, that means the average person prefers a tablet over a PC. You lose. You lose really, really hard. You've still provided no data or facts whatsoever to back up ANYTHING you've said. You'll certainly have to declare yourself the winner, because no one else will. Go back to Facebook, you don't need a brain there.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463