Lack of "ad-hoc" Wi-Fi is Android tablets Number 1 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManThatCan

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I have the new Nexus 7. Without 3G/4G or the ability to tether using basic ("ad-hoc") I've rapidly come to the conclusion that Android tablets are just expensive toys.

You've got full AP mode wireless within range of your home/office router. You also (presumably) got your home PC/laptop, yes ?.

Surely the whole point of these things is that need to work on a campsite miles from anywhere ?

Asus/Google, Amazon Kindle and other manufacturers need to wake up and fix this, not by encouraging us to root and hack about with the firmware, but by a proper, structured upgrade to Andriod, beit ICS or Jelly Bean (or even earlier versions).

How can you take these manufacturers seriously if this is NOT done ?

It's not like it's that technically difficult to add support for "basic level" "ad-hoc" Wi-Fi.
It's a poor argument if they hide behind the "security issue" argument. Apple iPads support "ad-hoc" and ironically don't need to (when they have 3G).

How can a portable device be "portable" when it won't connect ? What do others think ?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
If you cannot be classified as a troll then nobody could be

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ManThatCan

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
On the beach, up a mountain, in a pub with no wi-fi, on holiday, travelling, expensive Hotels Wi-fi rip offs, airports, Starbucks, on a bike ride
ie out and about

kstoutdog

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
On the beach, up a mountain, in a pub with no wi-fi, on holiday, travelling, expensive Hotels Wi-fi rip offs, airports, Starbucks, on a bike ride
ie out and about

I see... I guess I am just accustomed to always having my phone with me... (unlimited data & tethering) ...

ManThatCan

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lack of "ad-hoc" Wi-Fi is Android tablets Number 1 issue

There are a lot of mobiles using "ad-hoc" mode that you can't tether to, not all I admit. I suppose it's a question of do you play the ball or the man ? I still believe this should be addressed by upgrade to Android.

---------- Post Merged at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:46 PM ----------

I'd add, you only have to see the number and variety of posts on this subject to know this is a big issue for Android tablet owners

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
So exactly how many more threads with different titles are you going to post that make the exact same point?

The Nexus doesn't have 3G/4G. If you need a tablet that has 3G/4G, get one that has it. This is not a firmware issue, this is a HARDWARE issue - you bought a device that was not advertised to have a cell radio on board. It's not going to have a cell radio on board. If you need a device with a cell radio on board, return the Nexus and go buy one that DOES advertise having a cell radio. There isn't exactly a lack of them both in the Android and Apple space. Then buy a monthly service plan to go with it, and call it a love story.

Personally, I wouldn't want my data plan locked to a single device anyway, and I don't want to pay for a radio I'll never use. I'd spend my money on upgrading my plan with my phone to have tethering, or get a MyFi hotspot, and have portable Internet for all my devices. But my Nexus is only ever used at home, where I have a WiFi connection.

ManThatCan

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
OK - second thread (there's only two). The first was a "toe-dip" and it's heading in one direction, ie are these new-gen Android tablets good value, fun, yes I believe they are. Are they useful, do they have technical shortcomings, that's this thread, felt they are moving in different directions.

I slightly disagree, I'm not really arguing that the Nexus 7 should have 3G/4G, and I knew it didn't when I bought it. Yes that's a hardware issue. It's a firmware issue surely that it (and all other Android tablets) don't support "ad-hoc" Wi-Fi and hence give a greater choice and ability to connect "out there" ?

I have no problem with people using their Nexus solely at home, sat next to their router hitting the "markets". That's fine, I'm not "knocking" or opposing that. In fact the variety of response indicates the potential diverse use that these devices can (and are) being put to. And that's great also.

I think I envisaged the Nexus 7 as being a true "portable" mini device, sat on a beach with a beer and a newspaper, checking my emails and eBay, searching for a good place to eat out etc.

Yes, maybe I didn't do my "research" well enough. In the sales "blurb" it was stated that no 3G/4G wasn't an issue because you could always find a suitable Wi-Fi hotspot and/or tether to a mobile. There's a slight tinge of disappointment now that I've found that not (always) to be the case.

djnshores

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Android is an open source OS, and as such presents more security risks than Apple's iOS which is controlled by Apple. Companies are concerned about security for trade secrets, personnel files, marketing strategy, financial transactions, internal memos, etc. Companies err on the side of caution. Wireless transmission presents a higher risk than a wired one.

Most of the tablets sold today are marketed as consumer products for entertainment and personal communications. From a business standpoint they are all toys. Data security is a prime concern. One breach could cost billions and put a company out of business. In this instance, you're like Don Quixote fighting windmills.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
If your mobile doesn't let you tether, start looking toward one that does, or sell your Nexus 7 & either get another tablet that offers it, or wait for the upcoming rumored 3G Nexus 7 in October. Or heck, someone may have a workaround for ad hoc before long, if they don't have one hiding in some corner of the internet already. The fact that you can't do one particular thing with yours doesn't make every N7 a "toy" as you keep spouting. I'm very happy with the function of mine in a mix of business and pleasure.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I can't remember the last time I needed ad-hoc Wifi? I tether perfectly well to my Galaxy S3. I've also used it with a Clear hotspot as well. Like others, I'd rather re-use my current LTE plan than have a bunch of 4G devices each with their own access.

In any case, if you need a dedicated 4G tablet, the Kindle HD 8.9 will have pretty cheap LTE access.

And actually, a laptop should be more than capable of supporting a regular Wifi hotspot. If it can't, have you considered that maybe that's the toy?

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I have the new Nexus 7. Without 3G/4G or the ability to tether using basic ("ad-hoc") I've rapidly come to the conclusion that Android tablets are just expensive toys.

You've got full AP mode wireless within range of your home/office router. You also (presumably) got your home PC/laptop, yes ?.

Surely the whole point of these things is that need to work on a campsite miles from anywhere ?

Asus/Google, Amazon Kindle and other manufacturers need to wake up and fix this, not by encouraging us to root and hack about with the firmware, but by a proper, structured upgrade to Andriod, beit ICS or Jelly Bean (or even earlier versions).

It's not like it's that technically difficult to add support for "basic level" "ad-hoc" Wi-Fi.
It's a poor argument if they hide behind the "security issue" argument. Apple iPads support "ad-hoc" and ironically don't need to (when they have 3G).

How can a portable device be "portable" when it won't connect ? What do others think ?

You've already posted this exact same thread under the title "most Android devices are toys" today. You're now officially a spammer. I hope a mod sees this and deletes it. That being said 99.9 percent of users don't use ad hoc, there is absolutely no reason too when you can tether your N7 to your phone or use Wi-Fi. By your definition, laptops and desktops are toys.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
OK - second thread (there's only two). The first was a "toe-dip" and it's heading in one direction, ie are these new-gen Android tablets good value, fun, yes I believe they are. Are they useful, do they have technical shortcomings, that's this thread, felt they are moving in different directions.

I slightly disagree, I'm not really arguing that the Nexus 7 should have 3G/4G, and I knew it didn't when I bought it. Yes that's a hardware issue. It's a firmware issue surely that it (and all other Android tablets) don't support "ad-hoc" Wi-Fi and hence give a greater choice and ability to connect "out there" ?

I have no problem with people using their Nexus solely at home, sat next to their router hitting the "markets". That's fine, I'm not "knocking" or opposing that. In fact the variety of response indicates the potential diverse use that these devices can (and are) being put to. And that's great also.

I think I envisaged the Nexus 7 as being a true "portable" mini device, sat on a beach with a beer and a newspaper, checking my emails and eBay, searching for a good place to eat out etc.

Yes, maybe I didn't do my "research" well enough. In the sales "blurb" it was stated that no 3G/4G wasn't an issue because you could always find a suitable Wi-Fi hotspot and/or tether to a mobile. There's a slight tinge of disappointment now that I've found that not (always) to be the case.

I'm sorry you have a crappy phone that can't tether. Sounds more like your phone is a toy.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Seems this was already covered in your previous thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=210249

If you wish to discuss this topic further, please do so there.

And sorry to hear you don't like your tablet. Luckily there are many great manufacturers that make Android tablets that will better meet your needs. I'm sure your ideal tablet will have some users saying how useless it is without XYZ feature, but that won't bother you because you won't need XYZ. Just like for many Nexus 7 users, 3G and ad-hoc are XYZ.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance