Just got a Nexus 7 - my first tablet and android device! Wondering about speaker though

oldschool2

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, I just got my first tablet/android device. (Goggle Nexus 7). I got the Nexus over the Kindle because I didn't want to be locked into strictly Amazon's stuff and I'm not using a tablet for entertainment. That said, I do like Amazon (a bit too much I think sometimes), but with the Nexus 7 I have the freedom of using kindle apps or google apps or anything android. Plus, I can delete what I do not want (can't do that on a kindle), so I feel the Nexus 7 gives me the best of both worlds.
Having said all that, I did discover that there is a larger than anticipated learning curve to these tablet things, but I'll have it worked out eventually. One thing I am disappointed in is the speaker. Sure, I don't expect it to be real loud or sound like my home stereo, but this thing just doesn't get loud enough to use any audio books or anything. I can barely hear it with the volume all the way up and I have trained ears. I think that's the one area where the Kindle beats the Nexus. Having said that, could there be something wrong with my Nexus regarding the speaker volume or is it normal? Probably better with headphones I imagine.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
speaker volume is fine on the two N7's in our house, EXCEPT for some video content. Music plays plenty loud. Maybe you have a bum unit?? TRY PLAYING MUSIC and see if that is loud. if not, I'd say your unit is defective.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations on your new Nexus 7! You'll have lots of fun with it.

Regarding the speaker, this doesn't sound normal. However, I don't know what your expectations are. The speaker is definitely not one of the Nexus 7 strong points, and it's not exceptionally loud, but it is sufficient for most casual,short term needs. Yes, headphones are highly recommended (maybe consider Bluetooth to go wireless) and will give you a much better experience.

With that said, some apps have a preamp audio volume control, so check that in your app settings.

Also, I had to replace my Nexus 7 because the speaker was blown. It was loud enough, but horribly distorted as the volume got past 60%. So it's possible you indeed have a defective speaker.

Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

oldschool2

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I'll try winamp or something when I get the chance. I asked about the volume because I tried a YouTube video of Heart (well produced) and it was not very loud.

berrydroidapple

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Nexus living.

When you purchase a case you will notice the speaker is louder if not using headphones.

The sound needs something to bounce off of, which was the same issue I had with my Nook Color and iPod.

If I let my iPod free set anywhere it sounds small, turn it towards anything the sound will bounce off and it sounds good.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

oldschool2

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Just went into settings-volume and saw that the volume on videos, music was set at 50% - no wonder I could hardly get anything with the volume rocker set at max! first Nexus 7 lesson for me = The nexus 7 will show you just how much of an idiot you are if you have never used an android or tablet device before. Thanks Nexus 7! At least it appears that it may not be defective. I say "appears" because I have to wait til I get home to try it out, don't want to disturb co-workers.
Like I said, I'm still well behind the learning curve

oldschool2

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Ok folks, just tested the speaker/volume and all is well. I own a non-defective unit!! It was just the settings and the encoding. Tried Rush YYZ and had to push the volume way back. No distortion either.

oldschool2

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I'll have to look into these speaker things you guys mentioned to see if it's worth getting one. (I doubt it for me as I won't be playing music or video on my N7. Maybe audiobooks down the road when I can't see the screen much anymore, but until then it's main use is controller for my SBT and business type stuff such as databases and such. I was just testing the speaker while learning about the tablet (still much learning to do).
That said, I have to tell you that I am still gobsmacked by the voice control thing. It's beyond voice control actually. It just blew my mind. I wonder what else is in store for me? I mean, was my unit actually meant to go to MI6 or some spy thing and came to me by accident?.....NA! It's crazy what this little thing is capable of.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, I just got my first tablet/android device. (Goggle Nexus 7). I got the Nexus over the Kindle because I didn't want to be locked into strictly Amazon's stuff and I'm not using a tablet for entertainment. That said, I do like Amazon (a bit too much I think sometimes), but with the Nexus 7 I have the freedom of using kindle apps or google apps or anything android. Plus, I can delete what I do not want (can't do that on a kindle), so I feel the Nexus 7 gives me the best of both worlds.

No different than being locked into google play stuff.

You can use both on kindle too.

Anyway, the nexus 7 is a nice device. I have one as well.

I do agree though the speaker is pretty crappy.

webegone

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
If you like Google Now, Pocket has been updated with a new text-to-speech feature called "Listen" that will read your saved content out loud. Very cool.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
yes, i installed Pocket as soon as I learned of it's updated feature for TTS. it is very cool.

Speaking of which, what ISN'T cool is that Play Books doesn't do TTS on any book I've tried so far. DAMN!

AstronomerXI

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

Well, some laws of physics and acoustics just were not meant to be broken. No tablet speaker will sound decent regardless of the design, period. They are fine for quiet rooms, but a set of decent headphones should be handy when using a tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

AstronomerXI

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
My HP TouchPad tablet has a 'Beats By Dr Dre' audio chip. Speakers are so-so as expected. With a head-set they are very good. It's now a component in my home entertainment system as a touch-screen Internet radio tuner, and the sound is rich. Tablet is dual-boot HP Web-OS and Android Cyanogenmod ICS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Caldera

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
The N7 stinks when it comes to sound, even for a tablet. Volume is underwhelming, and the speakers are jammed together (as always with Asus) destroying stereo separation. The headphone jack can be hissy too. I use volume hacks and bluetooth headphones/speakers to get by. It's bearable for basic youtube videos and games, but that's about it.

oldschool2

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

Your not locked into Google Play with the N7..well, after you load the Amazon/Kindle app that is. The difference is that with the Kindle to get outside the Amazon Ecosystem(which is no slouch I might add), you have to do this roto-rooter stuff and side load and such (something I would not want to do with any tablet at $200+). With the N7 it's just load app and go. For instance, I needed the SqueezeCommander app (not available through Amazon), with the Kindle, I'd have to find someone with an Android phone and sideload it or root the Kindle and load it that way, but would end up with a broken Kindle I think. (This rooting business just sounds sinister to me as I do not understand it, so therefore I'm scared of it). Not that the Kindle is bad, it's a very nice tablet, just not as flexable as the N7. With the N7 I just grab and go, no fuss, no muss, just did it last night. (I came very close to getting a Kindle before deciding on the N7).

---------- Post Merged at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:40 AM ----------

The N7 stinks when it comes to sound, even for a tablet. Volume is underwhelming, and the speakers are jammed together (as always with Asus) destroying stereo separation. The headphone jack can be hissy too. I use volume hacks and bluetooth headphones/speakers to get by. It's bearable for basic youtube videos and games, but that's about it.

I was not expecting stellar sound or even great sound or very good sound, just decent and some volume. No tablet has stellar sound or great sound. I finally solved my volume issue and I get no distortion, but I don't use the tablet for music or movies and such. Tablets are just not designed for things like music and audio. It's adaquate for audio books I imagine (have not tried it), but little else. I will try headphones and see how they are, should be better than the speaker. I'm not too concerned after that since the tablet for me is a adaptor for my eyes and a productivity device and nothing more. For entertainment I already have an uber desktop PC and a surround system and even a vintage stereo system, so I'm set there.

Caldera

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I find nothing hissy about the headphone jack. I a-b'd several good recordings (aac's) from the headphone jack of my iPod and N7 using my trusty Sennheiser HD455's and there weren't any serious audio aberrations present in the N7.

Interesting. Could be a hardware issue with my N7. Time for an RMA I guess. Shame too, since it doesn't suffer from any of the other common defects.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waterpig