Recent Nexus 7 Quality Control

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if anyone has any update on the quality control of the Nexus 7. I have gone through three that had significant screen lift on the left side. I absolutely LOVED the thing, but I couldn't get passed that, so I've been waiting around to see if anything changes in the near future and they come out in a little better condition. I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks!

oldschool2

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I thought they resolved that issue already (I think back around end of August), how is it you keep getting defective units? If you are ordering from Google directly each time perhaps you can try someplace else such as BHPhoto or JR or something. The retail units seem to be good. Just guessing here.
I got mine from BHPhoto and no issues. Of course, I've only had for 3 days. I'll take it out of the case I have it in a couple of weeks from now and check it.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I got two from Google and one from Walmart. I may try again. I loved that device. Just couldn't handle the screen lift.

opteron7

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my third and still have the screen lift issue. The one way to ignore is to throw it in a case.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I went through 3. Thanks for your input. I'd love to have one if I could get one without that issue. It's just insane that they can't get these things produced properly.

camperbc

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I received two pristine N7's from Google Play a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely perfect... with none of the issues that have been mentioned on this forum. And they're not even the new ones; both are C70's. My daughter and I are in love with our N7's; my wife got so jealous that I have just ordered one for her also! Amazing tablets, and although Google customer service is sadly non-existent, I cannot imagine buying any other tablet. It's indeed that good!

Glen B.
Fogo Island, Newfoundland

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I received two pristine N7's from Google Play a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely perfect... with none of the issues that have been mentioned on this forum. And they're not even the new ones; both are C70's. My daughter and I are in love with our N7's; my wife got so jealous that I have just ordered one for her also! Amazing tablets, and although Google customer service is sadly non-existent, I cannot imagine buying any other tablet. It's indeed that good!

Glen B.
Fogo Island, Newfoundland

This is the kind of info I'm looking for. Are you 100% sure there's no screen lift? The last one I got I thought was good, but it had a little. It was the best of the bunch, but definitely not flawless.

blitzen89

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I've gotten lucky, but so far no lift :)

---------- Post Merged at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Maybe I've gotten lucky, but so far no lift :)

HisSvt2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Bought mine from Google last month C70 and it's perfect use it all day everyday best tablet I've owned other than my Xoom which also has jellybean.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Got a G8O from Google Play last week. It's got screen lift on the left side. Either I'm incredibly unlucky or the issue is still not resolved.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Got a G8O from Google Play last week. It's got screen lift on the left side. Either I'm incredibly unlucky or the issue is still not resolved.

Yeah, the last one I got was a C80 from Google and it had it, too. I don't think it's fixed yet. I think some have it and some don't. And I've been in the unlucky pool. Which sucks because I absolutely love this tablet. I just hate paying for an item that has issues straight out of the box.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
My first one, a pre-order unit, had bad screen lift.

Its replacement that I got in early August (C60 I think) had no screen lift, but a badly blown speaker (and one minor dead pixel in the corner, plus ghosting that permanently went away after using it for 10 minutes).

Its replacement that I got in mid-August (a C70) is fine - no screen lift, no dead pixels, and the speaker is good (well, as good as a Nexus 7 speaker can be :p). The right side started creaking a little bit recently if I apply slight pressure on that side, but there's no screen lift associated with this. It gives my N7 a bit of character! :)

By the way, Google customer service was very helpful and easy to work with when arranging my first two returns.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

oldschool2

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine since last Saturday (almost 4 days now) and it's still pristine, no screen lift or any issues period. I don't know what C# it is, where do you guys get that from? I ordered mine from a box store BHPhoto so I don't know if that makes any difference.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine since last Saturday (almost 4 days now) and it's still pristine, no screen lift or any issues period. I don't know what C# it is, where do you guys get that from? I ordered mine from a box store BHPhoto so I don't know if that makes any difference.

It's part of the serial number. Look on the side of the box, or the sticker on the back of the Nexus 7 (if you can see it), and you'll see an SSN number. It will start with C60 or C70, etc. I think the first number refers to the month of manufacture, so a C80 unit was built in August, the 8th month of the year. I'm not sure which part of the code refers to the year, but for now the year is obvious.

oldschool2

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Ok, mine is a C80. So that means mine was born in August? I guess I just got lucky with mine, it's only been 4 days though so I guess the time test is what, 2 weeks? If all is well by the 2 week mark than the unit is good?
So let's see,
C70 = July
C80 = August
C90 = September
C4 = those are really no good, you don't want that one it just explodes. LOL!

Rick Hussey

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a C80 model and so far so good. No screen lift, no dead pixels and no other issues that I can see - and believe me I have looked.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Ok, mine is a C80. So that means mine was born in August? I guess I just got lucky with mine, it's only been 4 days though so I guess the time test is what, 2 weeks? If all is well by the 2 week mark than the unit is good?
So let's see,
C70 = July
C80 = August
C90 = September
C4 = those are really no good, you don't want that one it just explodes. LOL!

Yes, definitely stay away from the C4! When you drop that one, not only does the screen break easily, but the whole thing blows up into a million pieces! :eek:

And yes, usually defects will either be obvious as soon as you use the unit, or will show up within a few days. But as with any product that you're using, something can develop weeks or months later. That's what warranties are for.

Google's return policy, if you bought it from them, doesn't have to do with the warranty, though. It's just a short term return policy that I think they call buyer's remorse, similar to most retailers. I think their policy gives you a 15 day return window, whereas Staples, Best Buy, etc. usually have 30 day policies. After the return period is over, you'll have to deal with the warranty process through Asus, which means you'd be without your N7 for a few weeks.

camperbc

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
This is the kind of info I'm looking for. Are you 100% sure there's no screen lift? The last one I got I thought was good, but it had a little. It was the best of the bunch, but definitely not flawless.

Yes, 100% sure!... no screen lift at all, Wildo. And no other issues either. Absolutely perfect tablets.