Turning Subtitles On or Off on Ripped Movies

metallifan33

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
I am using Handbrake to encode movies to put on my Nexus 7 and have a question about video playback and subtitles. On the Transformers video that came with the Nexus 7, there is a menu button (the three dot button in the upper left) that gives me the option to turn subtitles on or off. However, this menu button doesn't appear when I watch a video that is ripped via Handbrake. I can either watch a movie where the subtitles are burned in to the image or no subtitles at all. Is there a way to make it optional?
Also, I use the Android High format (although I fear this may not be the best profile for a Nexus 7)?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

John Meredith

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
You probably had an answer to this somewhere else.

RE Handbrake, I cobbled together a pre-set based on Apple TV. For my videos, I make sure that width is restricted to 1280px and make sure you use the mp4 container (although as long as you maintain the x264 codec, mkvs sohuld play). I am very happy with the x264 tune settings on my videos if you download a Handbrake beta version. I use HD quality setting of 21 and 19 for SD, but you can obviously tweak this to give desired file size. It is worth pointing out that lower quality tends to still look great on the Nexus due to the size of the screen.

I did a comparison of Tinkerbell for my daughter and encoded at three different settings and the smallest file (1.5GB for the file) still looked great (if ever so slighty jumpy - not that she would notice - that is being picky!). These files will look less attractive on a large TV though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude