$99 Nexus up next?

aarora610

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Google reportedly set to blow open the tablet market later this year with $99 Nexus tablet - Yahoo! News

Google (GOOG) and its hardware partner ASUS are reportedly planning to launch a new $99 Nexus tablet this year that could open up the tablet market to a massive new group of consumers. The report comes from Digitimes on Thursday, and it cites unnamed industry sources in claiming two new Nexus tablets are currently in the works. The first will apparently be a thinner version of the current $199 Nexus 7 and the second will be a new $99 model. Both tablets will utilize display panels from HannStar Display, the report claims. $99 is often thought of as the magic price point that makes purchase decisions far less difficult for consumers, and if Google can hit that price with a decent piece of hardware, it could very well mount a solid defense against Apple?s (AAPL) rumored upcoming iPad mini, which will be unveiled next month at a price point of either $249 or $299 according to earlier reports.

This could get interesting. I'm excited mostly because a lot of buyers of the unit would drive more development to Android/Google Play! Long Live Android!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I am on a self mandate to own all the Nexii, so I will buy as well lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I am on a self mandate to own all the Nexii, so I will buy as well lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Lol! Like I used to buy several shuffles in different colors? :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

oldschool2

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
It's rumor at this point. At $99 there would have to be a nasty catch as well. I can't see that it would be the same as the units we have now. If it was it would be a one way ticket to Asus and Google going out of business and probably BK from the rest of us revolting through legal channels for paying double when we did not have to. Sure corporations are stupid, but I can't imagine them stooping to that level of stupidity, that's just suicide from a business point of view. It would be like Target telling all it's customers that if they come back on Tuesday they can have anythign in the store for free and then wondering why they didn't make sales that month and why they were in court from the customers who were not told about that the day before, resulting in closing the doors forever.

Curtis A

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
We do need SOMETHING to help the Play Store catch up. Every time I go to buy something I look on Play first. Most of the time I can't find it so I have to buy it from Amazon or Apple.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

oldschool2

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
We do need SOMETHING to help the Play Store catch up. Every time I go to buy something I look on Play first. Most of the time I can't find it so I have to buy it from Amazon or Apple.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, I wouldn't go to the Google store for books or anything like that, it's abysmal, but the app section is not too bad. Amazon is hard to beat for the books and such. The Amazon app section is extremely nice as well and I think some apps are offered on Amazon that aren't on Google and visa versa. It's nice having access to both.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I expect the $99 one will be very appealing for kids, but the hardware will probably be underwhelming. I can't see myself replacing my current N7 with either one based on this little bit of info, but they'll make nice options for a lot of people.

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
This has subsidized written all over it.

As far as early adopters paying double the amount, no legal argument could be made for a class action suit, that's just ridiculous to even say.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

As far as early adopters paying double the amount, no legal argument could be made for a class action suit, that's just ridiculous to even say.

Google takes your information, then sells it to advertisers, then puts those same ads on the subsidized nexus. Lol. Circles.

oldschool2

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

I agree that yes, the $99 version would have to be stripped or restricted or require a contract subscription or something. As for a class action regarding pricing, there is a legal argument that hinges on a statute of limitations under business law. I'm no expert by any stretch, but I have seen precident for it. However, it does get wrapped up for years in technicalities, class action or not and besides, it would be settled out of court real fast anyway I imagine. Although, I was just stating a realistic scenerio based on practices and theory and in full reality, I don't think anyone has much to worry about in that regard. I was just pointing out how stupid it would be for the manufacture and reseller to do such a thing as they would really be the ones losing the most at the end of the day.

---------- Post Merged at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:37 PM ----------

Google takes your information, then sells it to advertisers, then puts those same ads on the subsidized nexus. Lol. Circles.

LOL! Your probably far closure to the truth on that one than you know.:)

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Google does NOT sell your information. They sell targeted adverts, and if they sold the information they used for targeting that gives the possibility of someone being able to do it as well as they can and they would lose their main competitive advantage in advertising market. They make 96% of their revenue from selling advertising, and they wouldn't risk that just for some quick cash.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Will it come "with special offers" like the sub $100 Kindle?

Can you imagine playing the free Angry Birds on a subsidized 7" tablet? How much of the screen would be for ads? :D:D

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking its going to be a carrier model for $99 with a data plan.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

If there was a class action suit, would Apple sue to become a defendant, because they patented a process on post-release price drops for movile devices? :D :D

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Google does NOT sell your information. They sell targeted adverts, and if they sold the information they used for targeting that gives the possibility of someone being able to do it as well as they can and they would lose their main competitive advantage in advertising market. They make 96% of their revenue from selling advertising, and they wouldn't risk that just for some quick cash.

They don't sell your personal information, they sell the other stuff.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking its going to be a carrier model for $99 with a data plan.

I agree, this is the only way this is going to happen.
This may be the '3g' (or 4g or LTE or whatever!) Nexus 7 we've been hearing about.

Ok so $99 + (~ $50/month for a cell/data plan * 24 months) = $1299

The wifi only model is for me.
When are companies going to realize:
I DON'T WANT TO BE NICKEL AND DIMED BY IN APP PURCHASES. ($ in games is now REAL $? Good job confusing reality with fantasy. WTF!)
I DON'T WANT ANOTHER MONTHLY BILL.
I DON'T NEED TO BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET EVERYWHERE I GO.

- end of rant. :)

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree that yes, the $99 version would have to be stripped or restricted or require a contract subscription or something. As for a class action regarding pricing, there is a legal argument that hinges on a statute of limitations under business law. I'm no expert by any stretch, but I have seen precident for it. However, it does get wrapped up for years in technicalities, class action or not and besides, it would be settled out of court real fast anyway I imagine. Although, I was just stating a realistic scenerio based on practices and theory and in full reality, I don't think anyone has much to worry about in that regard. I was just pointing out how stupid it would be for the manufacture and reseller to do such a thing as they would really be the ones losing the most at the end of the day.

I'm not sure what you mean by "hinges on a statute of limitations under business law." What law or precedent are you referring to?

Anybody can file a lawsuit for anything (that's the American way), but that doesn't mean that a court would ever approve such a suit to go forward. Lawsuits are thrown out every day because they don't have a valid legal basis. Class action lawsuits are especially difficult to get approved.

Just because a company decides to sell a completely different product model at a lower price doesn't give the buyer of the previous, more expensive, model a valid legal argument to sue. I don't recall a purchase contract with Google stating they wouldn't sell a cheaper model months down the road if I bought the Nexus 7 now. And I don't think there's anything in U.S. consumer law that prevents such a thing. There's no bait and switch here, and nobody being blatantly taken advantage of.

Almost all tech products come down in price quickly, and are often replaced by newer, better products at a cheaper price. That's the nature of technology, free enterprise, supply and demand, and many other factors. Buyers who don't like this are free to complain about it, write nasty letters, not do business with the offending company again, have their feelings hurt, and even file a lawsuit that will be thrown out quickly. They may have an emotional argument (one that I would disagree with), but not a legitimate legal argument.

The alternative is that companies don't lower their prices, don't come out with newer, cheaper models (even very quickly) , don't try to compete, and stop innovating. I think I'd rather pay $200 now instead of $100 down the road for a product that was considered an excellent value at the time, than to have a company stop doing all the things I mentioned above.

So, Oldschool, I disagree with you, but still appreciate your opinion and enjoy reading your posts in this forum! Thank you. (And I hope you're not a lawyer! ;) )

Last edited: