What does "side load" mean

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I've read this term used often throughout these forums but am not sure what sidle load means. Is it the same as downloading?

Sorry if this is a silly question but I'm still very new to using a tablet and have never owned or used a smartphone.

Thanks.

balus3u

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Side loading means to install app and games from outside Google play store, mostly it's being done by downloading the apk file of the app and install it.let's say you want Amazon app store, which is not available from Google store so you search for Amazon store apk in Google and download it and open it but you need to enable allow installation of app from unknown sources

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1348854091229.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348854091229.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 31

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Yup, think of the apk file as an exe file in windows. So you download the apk file and run it to install your app, rather than telling an app store to do it for you. It's a piece of cake. :)

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: What does "side load" mean

Thanks balus3u, YAYTech and Phil for the helpful information and reference. Comparing an apk file to an exe file in windows was very enlightening. I know I've stumbled across an apk file somewhere when I've peeked around. I think it was installed when I got a browser with flash, so I could access my Amazon Prime account. I had no idea what it was.

When I bought the N7 about a month ago, I never realized there would be such a learning curve, or that it would be quite different in several respects compared to a computer. Interesting stuff.