Tablet just froze and won't turn back on.. Should I be worried?

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I was in the middle of checking app info to delete cache when it suddenly froze. I put it to sleep, and now it won't wake back up. It's only been a few minutes so I'm positive it'll be up and running eventually, but has this happened to anyone? Should I be worried, or is occasional crashing/freezing normal? Usually my apps don't crash, but system stuff like 'settings' crashes occasionally on me.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Plug it in too. If the battery is low sometimes it may not start.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
turned back on after holding down on the power button for a while, thanks :). I knew it wouldn't completely die on me, but I'm wondering if having crashes from system apps is indicative of anything more worrisome?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
turned back on after holding down on the power button for a while, thanks :). I knew it wouldn't completely die on me, but I'm wondering if having crashes from system apps is indicative of anything more worrisome?

It could be. What kind of tablet is it?

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
N7; "settings" and other system controls have always been a little sluggish and glitchy. Like, I don't know if this is normal, but I can never force apps to close to save battery.

It JUST happened again! Up until yesterday, it never froze to the point where it was unresponsive for minutes on end. When I turned the screen off, for all intents and purposes it was dead for a good 5 minutes.

When it finally responded to being woken up, it said that "settings" had crashed (pic attached).

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-09-30-15-43-08.png
    Screenshot_2012-09-30-15-43-08.png
    152.6 KB · Views: 41

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
N7; "settings" and other system controls have always been a little sluggish and glitchy. Like, I don't know if this is normal, but I can never force apps to close to save battery.

It JUST happened again! Up until yesterday, it never froze to the point where it was unresponsive for minutes on end. When I turned the screen off, for all intents and purposes it was dead for a good 5 minutes.

When it finally responded to being woken up, it said that "settings" had crashed (pic attached).

If you just got it I would consider returning it. You should never get this type of issue unless it can be traced back to the same buggy app. If it's random it could be hardware.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
mine has only done that once in all the time I've had it (a day after launch day), so I would worry much unless it's a frequent thing.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH this is driving me crazy. it's happening at least 1-2 times per DAY now. I'm really reluctant to reset everything, but I might just have to. Earlier today I was watching netflix when it randomly closed. Then, it wouldn't open (it would open a black screen, which would instantly disappear), so I had to delete all the data and restart the app. Then, a few hours later, Nova Launcher crashed (never, ever happened before).

I'm guessing it's pretty bad when the system UI crashes.. first time that's ever happened, and when it did I couldn't even turn the device off--I had to give it a few minutes before it would sleep. I've downloaded a lot of apps recently, but they were all part of that $.25 sale. I've had things like "settings" crash before, but now it's getting out of hand. Attached are a couple pics from today alone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-10-03-13-15-05.png
    Screenshot_2012-10-03-13-15-05.png
    287.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_2012-10-03-18-37-55.png
    Screenshot_2012-10-03-18-37-55.png
    101 KB · Views: 195

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH this is driving me crazy. it's happening at least 1-2 times per DAY now. I'm really reluctant to reset everything, but I might just have to. Earlier today I was watching netflix when it randomly closed. Then, it wouldn't open (it would open a black screen, which would instantly disappear), so I had to delete all the data and restart the app. Then, a few hours later, Nova Launcher crashed (never, ever happened before).

I'm guessing it's pretty bad when the system UI crashes.. first time that's ever happened, and when it did I couldn't even turn the device off--I had to give it a few minutes before it would sleep. I've downloaded a lot of apps recently, but they were all part of that $.25 sale. I've had things like "settings" crash before, but now it's getting out of hand. Attached are a couple pics from today alone.

Do a reset. I just did it on my tablet and was so happy I did it on my phone too. No problems at all now.

Gareeth

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
One cautionary point. If your volume and power buttons are a bit stiff and noisy you may want to search screen lift as this problem can be an early sign of a series of worse problems you will have. Mine started with this and a bit of colour bleeding. A few days after I had trouble powering it on the touch screen was unresponsive. Then two days after that while I was trying to contact ASUS a crack appeared along the expected diaganol. Despite having had to replace countless products in the early days of the roll out ASUS was adamant that with the sign of physical damage it was not their problem. Thankfully my new heroes (Chapters Indigo) stepped in and when I can get to their store have a replacement waiting. If you have the power problem check for the other signs please and get a repleacement before the dreaded crack appears that can be used to turn you down. (You clearly don't have to take no as a permanent answer but still)

Rydia Davis

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
help I tried to turn my tablet on and it would come on but it wouldn't come on completely it would shut off right after what should I do please help me

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
help I tried to turn my tablet on and it would come on but it wouldn't come on completely it would shut off right after what should I do please help me

Are you sure the battery is charged up? Leave it plugged into a wall socket overnight, then try again.

Also, is it in a case? Some cases have a smartcover that turns the screen off when you close the cover (by using the special magnet sensor in the left border of the Nexus 7 when you look at it in portrait orientation). If you have a case like this, sometimes the magnet is too strong and will actually turn off the screen when you fold the cover in back of the tablet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc