CNN on Nexus 7

bergerdml

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
The CNN app claims to support Jelly Bean, but Google Play store says its incompatible with my Nexus 7. Is there a work around or way to side load it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

bergerdml

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
It does. I have the Fox News app installed on my Nexus 7. But before calling Android a Republican, know that I was able to install Huffington Post and New York Times on the Nexus 7.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Just as an FYI, I have online access to the NY Times which also gives me access from my phone. It is not supposed to include tablets but so far it seems as if the NY Times app thinks my N7 is a phone and not a tablet. I am not complaining.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Usually apps listed as incompatible have a requirement that the Nexus 7 can't fulfill, most commonly a rear camera or non optimized screen resolution/DPI. I've found that such apps work and look just fine on my N7. This includes CNN, USA Today, American Express, and Discover Card.

To download, use a reputable, alternative app store. I use 1Mobile Market. Go to www.1mobile.com to download and install their app store app. Ironically, this app is available on the Google Play Store, but it's marked as not compatible with the N7!.

They only have free apps, including many of those that are listed as incompatible with the N7 on Google Play. It will allow you to download and install them without a problem. Note that though these apps work and look fine overall, they all may not have a layout optimized for a tablet. However, the CNN app looks great on the Nexus 7.

(Oh, almost forgot - make sure you allow "unknown sources" under Settings | Security before trying to download from somewhere other than Google Play.)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bergerdml

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much! This not only answers my question about CNN (which is installed and working great) but being directed to the alternative app store, I can solve similar problems in the future.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
You must be a liberal. Lol
No Dave, that's the NBC News app that you're thinking about. Of course, I downloaded that, too, so, oh my god, you're right! I am a liberal! I even downloaded The Week. But actually, it's because I like to see a variety of views. Then again, I can't get myself to install the Fox News app, so, holy Toledo, it's true. I'm a damn liberal! :p

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much! This not only answers my question about CNN (which is installed and working great) but being directed to the alternative app store, I can solve similar problems in the future.

I'm happy it helped.

The only thing is that the 1Mobile app will occasionally ask you to agree to some license agreement, and it explicitly states that doing so adds a bookmark and some other things to help them monetize the app (they are very upfront about it) . This is optional, so just don't accept it (tap outside the popup) if it makes you uncomfortable, as it did me. It came up a few times, but I haven't seen it for a while.

chark1111

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
unfortunately, if you want a real tablet with apps designed specifically for a tablet, you need to buy an iPad. I own a Nexus 7, and I've been very disappointed in the quality of the apps vs. the Apple ecosystem. Also, web browsing on Android is a nightmare of stuttering and failure to react to touch input. I keep hoping that with each Jellybean update things will get better, but alas, they do not.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
unfortunately, if you want a real tablet with apps designed specifically for a tablet, you need to buy an iPad. I own a Nexus 7, and I've been very disappointed in the quality of the apps vs. the Apple ecosystem. Also, web browsing on Android is a nightmare of stuttering and failure to react to touch input. I keep hoping that with each Jellybean update things will get better, but alas, they do not.
It's true that iPads have a better selection of tablet specific apps, but there are also plenty of apps that look great on the N7. I'd also argue that non-optimized apps aren't necessarily horrible (well, some are, but not all). If you're looking at the same app side by side on an iPad and N7, you may very well like the optimized look on the bigger screen of the iPad. But there's a point at which, for many apps, it's just nitpicking. Plus, the app landscape will continue to improve at a rapid pace. I have no doubt that within a year many of your comparison complaints will be moot.

Regarding the browsing experience, I think it's pretty good, and haven't experienced the nightmare that you have. However, many people don't like Chrome on Android, so they use alternative browsers which they claim are smoother, more responsive, have more features, and look better. And unlike an iPad, they can specify their alternative browser as the default.

The iPad is an exceptionally good, smooth running, boring device with many optimized and pretty apps. But I luvs me my vanilla Android experience on my nasty N7! The Nexus 7 defense rests, your Honor.

Definatly a liberal.
No... DEFIANTLY a liberal! (But some conservative and many other values here and there, because it's impossible to be only one thing.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781