Did you root your N7? Why or why not?

Is your N7 rooted?

• Total voters

AstronomerXI

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I just found one of the best reasons to root: the 'Beats' audio drivers. What a difference in audio quality! I would consider this a *major* upgrade if headphone audio or if plugging your tablet into your home entertainment system is important to you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Arbies

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Haven't rooted but it's definitely on the table to do so in the future. Just seeing what I can accomplish without doing so for now while making sure my Nexus 7 doesn't develop problems like so many others have experienced. I've had it a month now and so far so good.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
No rooting here. Loving the pure Google experience and feel no need to mess with it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

AstronomerXI

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
...found another good reason to root. According to this TomTom Navigator hits (some) Android devices, we go hands-on -- Engadget TomTom's new Navigator GPS app is only supported by devices with screens with 800 or 854 x 480 resolution. The updated driver pack that I loaded onto the N7 a couple of days ago, which included video and GPS drivers among others, must have the necessary updates for me to run this app because it works just fine! I've also ordered this: RAM Mount RAM-B-166-TABL-SMU Aluminum Tab-Lock Small Tablet Suction Cup Locking Mount Google Nexus 7. The N7 has a much bigger screen than my Garmin GPS, or my iPhone running Waze for that matter. I drive a fair bit for my job, and I'm relatively new to where I live, so a GPS is crucial for me. The maps take up 2.4 Gb, but the increased functionality over the stock Google maps makes it very worthwhile.

sagedil

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Like some others have said, my phone is rooted, just haven't felt a need to root the Nexus. No carrier bloat to get rid of, loving Jelly Bean as is.

Happy I can if I can if I ever need. But first rooted my Evo so I could run Gingerbread plus needed to be able to tether. I am running the latest Android on a stock Rom as is with the Nexus, and know I always will he able to, whole point of a Nexus device, so not sure I will ever have a reason to root.

Unless I decide I just can't live without Titanium. So far, that hasn't been a reason enough for me.

Mechinikel

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't usually root my Nexii, preferring the 'pure Google' thing. However, I just don't like 'phablet' all that much. I want my N7 to have the Honeycomb-ish tablet interface instead.

Rooting allowed me to modify my screen density from the default 213 ppi to 160 ppi. At that screen density, Jellybean pops into tablet UI.

Note to Android development - the choice between 'phablet' and 'tablet' UI really needs to be an option in Settings.
Doesn't the display look worse with a lower PPI?

Now that you can get landscape mode with the new version, have you raised your PPI back up to default?

rdavis429

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Got my mother-in-law a Nexus 7 and rooted it and flashed Paranoid Android on it. For $200 I want as much control over the device as possible.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Haven't had a need to root yet. I'm really enjoying the stock Jelly Bean experience. If you're nervous about rooting, you may want to wait until the new 4.1.2 update rolls out to your N7 and see if it doesn't help.