Nexus 7: Complete Newbie (but frustrating) Question!

Sharpy24

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I apologise in advance if this has been covered extensively, I have googled several different word combinations and searching this forum to no avail really, and the official nexus 7 support page is useless.

I cant get into my google account on the damn device. I've seen on the official nexus site about application specific passwords and what not but that android 4.0 and above doesnt need it? Either way I tried both using my regular password (after resetting it thinking i was losing my mind) and an application specific password, but neither are working and having spent the last 30 mins + looking online and shouting aimlessly at the computer I found my way here.

Probably a simple fix, again apologies if its been covered many times, but I did try searching and googling...

ps, reading these forums convinced me to make the jump to android/buy the nexus ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Complete Newbie (but frustrating) Question!

Settings > Accounts: +add account

?

Welcome to the family :cool:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Sharpy24

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

so you enabled 2 step authentication?

Yep

Settings > Accounts: +add account

?

Welcome to the family :cool:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Yes this is what I've done, Ive tried both ways, through the initial set up and through add account, it just keeps saying password invalid, I've also tried the authorizing applications way and inputting in a unique password but that doesn't work either....:-\

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Yep

Yes this is what I've done, Ive tried both ways, through the initial set up and through add account, it just keeps saying password invalid, I've also tried the authorizing applications way and inputting in a unique password but that doesn't work either....:-\

when you enable 2 step authentication. you need to use Application specific password for ANDROID and not your regular pasword.

Go here. https://accounts.google.com/b/0/IssuedAuthSubTokens?hl=en_US type a name in the app specific name and click generate password.

remove all account from here Settings > Accounts-->Google

then add again and use ONLY THE APPLICATION SPECIFIC PASSWORD and do not include space or anything

Sharpy24

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

when you enable 2 step authentication. you need to use Application specific password for ANDROID and not your regular pasword.

Go here. https://accounts.google.com/b/0/IssuedAuthSubTokens?hl=en_US type a name in the app specific name and click generate password.

remove all account from here Settings > Accounts-->Google

then add again and use ONLY THE APPLICATION SPECIFIC PASSWORD and do not include space or anything

Done that, I even went as far as resetting back to factory settings and doing the application specific pw from the beginning....

I'm going to give it one more go, if not I'm just going to sell the damn thing, I got it for such a good price too, ?135 for a 3 week old 16gb with receipt from hmv...

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

It sounds like you're in the right place on the device. When I got my Nexus 7 home, my Gmail account and my Gmail password worked fine without any additional gymnastics. However, I do not have 2-step verification turned on, so all I needed was my username and password.

Sharpy24

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

It sounds like you're in the right place on the device. When I got my Nexus 7 home, my Gmail account and my Gmail password worked fine without any additional gymnastics. However, I do not have 2-step verification turned on, so all I needed was my username and password.

I didnt have the 2 step option turned on initially, I only turned it on after reading something about it on one of googles pages

Sharpy24

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

Nope, just reset it, and got the app specific password, entered it and got the usual couldnt sign in message

Couldnt Sign in

Your username and password don't match. Try again

To recover your account info.....etc etc

Does it matter that its not a gmail account? My google account uses my normal regular email address?

blitzen89

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

hmm i didnt think they required it to be gmail, but you might be on to something

Sharpy24

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

hmm i didnt think they required it to be gmail, but you might be on to something

Well I've never had this problem before with any other google products/sites? Its been my blueyonder email address for a very long time now....

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Done that, I even went as far as resetting back to factory settings and doing the application specific pw from the beginning....

I'm going to give it one more go, if not I'm just going to sell the damn thing, I got it for such a good price too, ?135 for a 3 week old 16gb with receipt from hmv...
post a screenshot of the error message you get. press down volume + power button at the same time.

Sharpy24

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

post a screenshot of the error message you get. press down volume + power button at the same time.

I literally wrote out the error message on the screen on my post previously

Couldnt Sign in

Your username and password don't match. Try again

To recover your account info.....go to google.co.uk/accounts/recovery

Also to add, the password and email are correct, I have signed in and out of youtube and my google account etc on the computer to check and even reset it when I first got this message this morning, thinking I had gone crazy and was inputting the wrong password....

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Nope, just reset it, and got the app specific password, entered it and got the usual couldnt sign in message

Does it matter that its not a gmail account? My google account uses my normal regular email address?

what do u mean by this your google account and gmail account are the same

XXXXXXx@gmail.com

use the gmail id with @gmail.com not just the username

Sharpy24

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

Can anyone else shed any light on this? Because its pretty bloody frustrating having a lump of plastic sat here that doesnt work properly :/

Sharpy24

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

Ok I have created a random gmail account just to get into the device, but it will still not let me add my proper google account, therefore I cant sign into my youtube account, which again renders the device partly useless because one of the reasons of buying a tablet was to update and reply to messages and subscribers on the move rather than using my phone. I have google wallet set up, all my bookmarks, my youtube, they are all linked in to this account, blog, documents, picasa album etc etc. Essentially everything I've been using google for over the last few years. There was no mention anywhere that you have to have a gmail email account to use the tablet, it almost renders it as useless as having a playbook without a blackberry.

I think im going to end up sending this useless thing back to be honest, I dont think theres any point contacting google as googling (lol) their customer services, they dont look like they have a good track record.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for posting your results. So it works with an @gmail account but not with your @blueyonder address, which is a valid Google account. That's strange.

I hope you can get this resolved because I really like my Nexus 7.

rainman4tech

May 29, 2011
Visit site

Try connecting the two accounts together, On a Google page click your profile icon and choose "Account" and one of the options is to "Connected Accounts" go into that dialog and add your blueyonder account and it should link them together. then check your device and the availability of those items.

Rainman

Sharpy24

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

Try connecting the two accounts together, On a Google page click your profile icon and choose "Account" and one of the options is to "Connected Accounts" go into that dialog and add your blueyonder account and it should link them together. then check your device and the availability of those items.

Rainman

Thanks for the suggestion but it only works on the website it does nothing on the actual device, this has annoyed me now to the point I am going to send it back this weekend, and if not sell it on because it is ridiculous how un straightforward it is. In theory yes, action, no.

I could I guess unlink all my products, youtube, wallet, picassa etc and create a gmail account and link them all into that, but I dont really see why I should have to do that? No where does anything specify you must have a gmail account to use the device, it simply states a google account, of which I have.

Actually copied from the guidebook for the nexus

When prompted, sign in using the email address and password
for your Google Account. if you don’t have one yet, create one.
An email address that you use for any of the following counts as
a Google Account:
• Gmail
• YouTube
• Google Apps
• AdWords
• Any other Google product

just had a callback from google, a nice guy went through everything I've done and said, I'd done everything he was going to suggest and that it is extremely bizarre but that there was nothing else he could do except give me the number to call Asus tomorrow morning.

I think I'm going to try and get a gmail account that matches my usernames for my current google account and youtube etc and just switch everything across to that, not ideal but god knows how long I might wait for a replacement from Asus and if it would be brand new or refurbed

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante