Looks like the ipad mini is a no-show meaning HUGE SALES for n7

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree, if Apple doesn't come out with an iPad Mini (there's still time), then that could spell HUGE sales for the Nexus 7. Yep.

And I agree, this would be a great time for Google to announce/release a supped-up version or even a scaled down version for $99-149 or simply drop the prices of current 8/16gb version to prime them to fly off shelves this holiday season! :thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
people still forget that its Apple and the price would be some where between $350-400
$350 at a minimum and probably more.

Remember the 4" iPod Touch is $299 for the cheapest model. Expanding to a 7" screen, even with no other improvements, will drive up the price. Not only for the raw materials but the very real risk of cannibalizing their own sales with more competing products.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
or simply drop the prices of current 8/16gb version to prime them to fly off shelves this holiday season!

Let's go with the theory that Apple will not release an iPad Mini. Just as a theory, mind you, because it's a rumor at best (of course, so is the possible existence of an iPad Mini, but I digress...).

What about Apple NOT releasing a competing product (assuming it ever would have been one) makes you think that Google is going to DROP prices on a product they are already breaking even on at best?

If Apple doesn't come out with something in response to Google's current shot across the bow of the USS Cupertino, Google wins this battle. They don't need to keep firing ammunition. Google's Finance and Marketing departments will get together and build something even more Apple-threatening (Nexus 4 to compete with the iPod Touch and Nexus 10 to compete with the iPad, both 100 clams cheaper than Apple's offerings, maybe?). Or they'll add more awesomesauce to the Nexus 7 but charge accordingly.

If Apple does come out with the rumored iPad Mini in the 6-to-8 inch range with a competitive price point to the Nexus 7, THAT'S when things start getting awesome for us consumers, because Google will be forced back into the fight.

And the Nexus 7 is some pretty strong ammunition.

Personally, I'm really hoping Apple and a few other competitors DO come out with something that can compete with the Nexus 7. Amazon has already responded. The more people in the battle, the more we all win.

MantisToboggan

May 21, 2012
Visit site
$350 at a minimum and probably more.

Remember the 4" iPod Touch is $299 for the cheapest model. Expanding to a 7" screen, even with no other improvements, will drive up the price. Not only for the raw materials but the very real risk of cannibalizing their own sales with more competing products.

The iPod Touch has absolutely no bearing on the price of the iPad Mini.

The same way as how the $650 iPhone doesn't have any bearing on the $500 10" iPad.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

The same way as how the $650 iPhone doesn't have any bearing on the $500 10" iPad.

Disagree. The iPhone is a subsidized phone. The touch is a small factor iPad mini if u will and price will be carefully thought out by Apple

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

MantisToboggan

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Disagree. The iPhone is a subsidized phone.
That makes no difference in the context of this discussion. It's a $650 device, whether you pay the $650 up front out of contract or if you sign a contract and pay for it over 2 years, it's still a $650 device. The fact is the 3.5" (and now 4") device costs more than the 10" tablet. So, saying "The touch costs $XXX so the bigger screen tablet has to cost more" is unfounded.

The touch is a small factor iPad mini if u will and price will be carefully thought out by Apple
The iPod Touch is an iPhone without cell service. Just like with the iPhone, it's price has absolutely no bearing on the price of a tablet that Apple sells. They are in completely different markets, just like the iPad and iPhone. Their prices do not effect each other.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

You're right. Pricing for Apple doesn't really matter. They could charge 500?600 for a mini ipad and people will still buy it. The easiest way to describe this is that Apple fan people are basically a cult of their own and are forced to support apple products no matter what. This isn't a joke either, marketing people that were working under Steve Jobs were very good at what they did.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

MantisToboggan

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Historically the iPod has had much weaker processors and camera. This is still the case with the current version, even given the higher price.

No, what I originally said is correct. The iPod Touch IS an iPhone without cell service. Just because a couple specs are a little bit lacking, it doesn't change that fact.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
No, what I originally said is correct. The iPod Touch IS an iPhone without cell service. Just because a couple specs are a little bit lacking, it doesn't change that fact.

Sorry but you lost that argument with solutions. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums