Backup Nexus 7 to desktop or laptop?

PMaff

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible to backup all settings of the Nexus 7 to some tar.gz file?
Maybe with some Google Play Links inside to download the already installed programs directly from
Google Play when restoring the Nexus 7?

Maybe the Nexus7 can use some diskspace of some nfs server to backup the complete Nexus there?

Did not find anything in Google or in this forum.

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
dude its called Google drive root and titanium back up Android backups all apps settings clockwork mod can back it up and titanium can do batch files on all system apps apps data blah blah blah and export it to Google drive

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

AstronomerXI

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
dude its called Google drive root and titanium back up Android backups all apps settings clockwork mod can back it up and titanium can do batch files on all system apps apps data blah blah blah and export it to Google drive

As a friendly suggestion to help out those who may not know what you know, why not type out detailed steps or post links to more information? Your lack of punctuation or sentence structure is a turn-off as it's difficult to parse what you're saying. My experience in public outreach in technology and astronomy is that nothing discourages newcomers more than being talked down to or making them feel like they've asked a "dumb" question. Rather than make a toss-off post like the one quoted above, it's better to just not post at all. Really.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
if u are rooted you can pretty much do what u asked here.

root ur Nexus and install an app call titanium backup. mind u titanium backup need root.
after that backup ur whole system to ur computer and restore when ever u want.

AstronomerXI

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Google "Google Nexus 7 Toolkit". It has all the tools and straight-forward explanations necessary to root, backup, restore, and more your N7. Post your questions here and we'll do our best to assist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
^^^ root only ^^^
OK go to www.xda-developers.com look up the root tool kit for the n7
There will be detailed instructions in the root kit.
After root: go to the Google play store, download Google drive(or drop box), download titanium back up, install busy box.
Depending if you buy the pro. version you can do what they call a batch backup (press the menu key and select the batch back up). Everything highlighted in red is system files don't try to mess with those too much. But with titanium you have the option to export the entire batch file to Google drive or drop box. If you want to back up all of your settings boot image text pictures basically everything you have on your device till the point of the back up you do what's called a nandroid back up. For nandroid backups you need something like clock work mod.
Go to the Google play store and download rom manager it will have an option to back up the rom,and press flash clock work mod recovery.
(Warning make sure your battery is at least 80% I recommend 100% before doing this) once you flashed clock work press back up rom. It will reboot into clock work mod recovery and then run command line scripts to back up everything. The process should take about maybe ten minutes. Once it reboots the back up is done. Then you can use a file manager to find the nandroid and send it to the cloud

Last edited:

marty331

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
No. Unless you want to root (and possibly brick your device if you don't know what you're doing), there is no facility to do this on Android.

Which is shameful IMHO.

It is impossible to brick a nexus device. It is possible to cause an issue and give up on resolving it yourself....if you're a quitter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
If you want to talk about quitters, let's talk about Android developers who continue to quit on making this a simple and easy to use core feature available to all users.

What are you talking about? Without root, there is simply no way to accomplish the things that titanium backup does. That is the reality.

[edit]: Sorry, on re-reading your post, I suspect rather than talking about "random android app developers" you are actually talking about the developers working on the core OS. I agree with you that this type of feature should be in the core OS.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible to backup all settings of the Nexus 7.

I'm a new tablet user so forgive if my question seems silly or if I'm missing something.

After reading some of the replies to your questions, I'm confused. If check-marked in the settings menu. all app data, wi-fi passwords and other settings are backed up to Google servers. Isn't this good enough for most users? Thank you.

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm a new tablet user so forgive if my question seems silly or if I'm missing something.

After reading some of the replies to your questions, I'm confused. If check-marked in the settings menu. all app data, wi-fi passwords and other settings are backed up to Google servers. Isn't this good enough for most users? Thank you.

No, the same with the PC, you can create "images" of your device. For some reason, say if you installed a custom rom and didn't like it, you can essentially go back in time by flashing the backup that you just made. Such as I have a backup of my stock rom before I did anything. If I easily wanted to go back to stock (with root), I could just flash it.

This is where something like Titanium backup comes to play. It saves your app data so you can restore your app data also. So instead of having to replay a billion levels of angry birds, titanium will put it back to where you left off.

So say you did want to change roms, ok, you clear all the data, flash the rom, except you are back to square one. You have nothing, all your apps are gone. Well you just tell titanium to restore your apps. You still however have to setup your home screens, widgets and stuff.

Hope that makes sense.

PMaff

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
What are you talking about? Without root, there is simply no way to accomplish the things that titanium backup does. That is the reality.

[edit]: Sorry, on re-reading your post, I suspect rather than talking about "random android app developers" you are actually talking about the developers working on the core OS. I agree with you that this type of feature should be in the core OS.

I am coming from the Linux side of IT, I am using a N900 as smartphone -so this is the corner I am coming from.

I understand that there is the need for a root pwd to backup e.g. system files.
But isn't there a simple root password and then tar or similar?
This was even possible on the N900: login as root and do a tar -cvf <backupfile.tar> <dirs to backup>
Afterwards transfer the tar-files to my desktop via WLAN.

Ok, on the Nexus 7 this will only work as long as the backup does not fill up the memory.
Therefore my question about using nfs on the Nexus 7.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
No, the same with the PC, you can create "images" of your device. For some reason, say if you installed a custom rom and didn't like it, you can essentially go back in time by flashing the backup that you just made.
[snip]
Hope that makes sense.

Yes, now it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the very good example

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Apple has it but if Google did it apple would cry like a baby and sue sue sue smfh Google drive could be the cat list for something like this but as I said apple would cry and sue sue sue soon in this reguard rooting and Android backups are basically the only way

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The instructions to unlock the bootloader and root tell you to backup everything first. The backup apps require being rooted already....so the question that needs to be answered is - Is the built-in Google cloud backup sufficient to backup prior to rooting?

doug smoke

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible to backup all settings of the Nexus 7 to some tar.gz file?

Yes. Before rooting (well, before unlocking the bootloader, which requires a factory reset), install Android Debug Bridge on your PC, connect your Nexus to your PC by USB and run;
adb backup --apk --all -f c:/your-backup-file.ab
... as administrator. This will backup all your installed apps and their data. (I rooted my grouper last night, fnarr, and restored from backup afterwards.)
Weirdly, it doesn't seem to capture the placement of your widgets, but with this and Google Sync everything else has come right back, from wallpaper to Netflix, it all seems to just work.

doug smoke

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
... and today I installed Team Win Recovery and the Android Kang Open Project ROM, and still kept all my apps and settings. woot. That's the Android Debug Bridge that you'll want on your PC. :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude