How to empty gmail trash?

CuriousJM

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
You can't do it via the app as it doesn't have any function to do so (wish they'd add it!). The only way is to login to your GMail account via web browser.

Emptying the bin via web browser is also very cumbersome. Each mail has to be individually selected by very fine pressure on the tick box. Slightly more pressure opens the mail. There should be an easier way or an empty button/link similar to the command available in Desktops.

*Sent from my Nexus 7*

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Emptying the bin via web browser is also very cumbersome. Each mail has to be individually selected by very fine pressure on the tick box. Slightly more pressure opens the mail. There should be an easier way or an empty button/link similar to the command available in Desktops.

There is an "Empty Trash Now" button at the top of the messages in Trash. You can also click the tickbox to select all messages on the page, then delete them.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I have deleted my trash via the web for gmail, it does not delete the trash on my nexuse 7. I have over 1000 trash messages I can't delete.
Something weird cause when I delete all email in trash from the web site and sign out and then open the gmail app it sinks with the web and shows trash with no emails but for some reason it shows "8* next to trash label. I went back and did an intentional resink with trash selected and the "8" went away

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I must need a trip to Specsavers, as I don't see an 'EMPTY TRASH NOW' option anywhere! Please tell me where you find this magic button :)
Thanks
This is in reference to the pc desktop gmail url in your browser. If you choose the Trash folder in Gmail (on the pc), The line above the first message in Trash has 'Empty Trash now' in the middle of the line. In my case, the text is blue. If you empty the trash on the pc and sync your gmail from the N7, it should remove the trash e-mails (as long as you have Trash marked to sync.)

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Go to your gmail account on your computer, open Trash, click on Empty Trash Now at the top. After trash is emptied, synch your Google account in Settings on your Nexus 7. Your Trash will be cleared.

buffee

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
OMFG!!!!!! how stupid is this? NO fu****** TRASH????? I spent 2 hours last night, trying to find someway to delete 1099 messages in my trash on my nexus 7. I even read that stupid manual!!!!!! I wish I had read this thread prior to ripping out my hair. Why No trashcan on the tablet, it's on my phone. Grrrrrr..I love this tablet but things like this ANNOY me!!!:mad:

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi Neal,
I have an HTC one. Do you know where i go to change it to IMAP? i went to settings and i can't find it in there.

The settings are within Gmail. Go to Gmail on your desktop and then go to settings. I'm not in front of my desktop at the moment. I'll have to look later to see what exactly needs to be changed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

buffee

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I just went into GMAIL on my desktop and dumped the trash from there and it was instantly dumped on the tablet. It's just hard to believe that if you can can deposit an email into TRASH on the tablet, that they never considered a way to dump it when it's full!:-!

Lazer1

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
All items in Gmail trash are automatically deleted after 30 days. Ignore it and it'll go away.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

buffee

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
That DOESN'T WORK with GMAIL in the NEXUS 7 tablet. There is no way I would ever have 3,000 emails in trash within 30 days. The truth is the ONLY!!!! way to do it is from you desktop or laptop Gmail!