Will the Nexus 7 get Android 4.2 Key Lime Pie?

HisSvt2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I totally understand and agree with you. However, all the top of the line Nokia Lumias running WP7 never got WP8. I'm sure the hardware could've handled it. How do we know Google won't do something similar?

Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2

All windows ph7 devices are single core. Wp8 is designed for dual core or better they said so way back when it was announced.

HisSvt2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
The previous Google tablet (Xoom) is getting Jelly Bean. 'Nuff said.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
The Xoom just got pushed 4.1.2 today thats just days after my N7 I own both my Xoom cost me less than my N7 got lucky was a best buy last one unopened closeout paid 199 and 249 for my N7 that's a lot of tablet goodness for less than 1 iPad.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Only to add what you said, it is also a point that the greatest issue Android has, which has lead to still having a lot of "Check out our app for iOS, android to come later" development, is the fragmentation. The iOs Fragmentation is so minimal it gives a good chance for developers to code on the latest iOs device and say allow it to work but say it only works iPhone 3 and up, and now tih iOS 6, iPhone 4+. The majority of people only in the last year has gotten to gingerbread and ICS finally has gotten to 25%, but with developers like Motorola (google really I know) who just dumped a bunch of phones so they didn't update them, it leaves old versions out there needing to sit for 2 years. Anything Google CAN do to minimize this, they will do until the Hardware won't let them.

Yeah all those resolutions that have to be coded for separately in iOS isn't fragmentation at all. :-\

Ever look at the size of apps in iOS?

GKWANNABE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure I am late but I am happy I just got the 4.1.2 update on my Nexus 7, if there's more to come, Hell Yeah!! I love the screen rotation on my home screen. Any other changes with this last update??

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

henywatty

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure I am late but I am happy I just got the 4.1.2 update on my Nexus 7, if there's more to come, Hell Yeah!! I love the screen rotation on my home screen. Any other changes with this last update??

I think there were a couple of bug fixes too, though the rotation feature was the standout improvement.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I never buy a gadget expecting an update. I buy a gadget for what it does today. If it does something even better tomorrow, great. I had no idea my N7 would get OS updates--that is a nice surprise.

I bought a refurbished HTC Flyer in February, hardware was powerful enough but little development and being cut off at honeycomb is the biggest reason I am a nexus 7 owner now. Nexus devices are easy to develop for and they get updates first and no manufacturer skins. I got the nexus 7 because of software not hardware. The way I see it, phones are disposable pleasures you almost can't blame manufacturers for not supporting them when people are all about upgrading as soon as they can but I bought the flyer with intentions of keeping it a while and I really feel like I got burnt on it.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

pobs123

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
From Wikipedia:

Android 4.1/4.2 Jelly Bean
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on the Asus Nexus 7 tablet.

Google announced Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) at the Google I/O conference on June 27, 2012. Based on Linux kernel 3.0.31, Jelly Bean was an incremental update with the primary aim of improving the functionality and performance of the user interface. The performance improvement involved "Project Butter", which uses touch anticipation, triple buffering, extended vsync timing and a fixed frame rate of 60 fps to create a fluid and "buttery-smooth" UI. Android 4.1 Jelly Bean was released to the Android Open Source Project on July 9, 2012, and the Nexus 7 tablet, the first device to run Jelly Bean, was released on July 13, 2012.

Google was supposed to announce Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) at an event in New York City on October 29, 2012, but the event was cancelled due to Hurricane Sandy. The new version was announced with a press release instead of rescheduling the live event, under the slogan "A new flavor of Jelly Bean". The first devices to run Android 4.2 will be the Nexus 4 by LG and the Nexus 10 by Samsung, which will be released November 13, 2012.
Version Release date Features
4.1 July 9, 2012

Smoother user interface:
Vsync timing across all drawing and animation done by the Android framework, including application rendering, touch events, screen composition and display refresh
Triple buffering in the graphics pipeline
Enhanced accessibility
Bi-directional text and other language support
User-installable keyboard maps
Expandable notifications
Ability to turn off notifications on an app specific basis
Shortcuts and widgets can automatically be re-arranged or re-sized to allow new items to fit on home screens
Bluetooth data transfer for Android Beam
Offline voice dictation
New interface layout for tablets with smaller screens or phablets (whose screens more closely resemble that of a phone)
Improved voice search
Improved camera app
Google Wallet (for the Nexus 7)
High-resolution Google+ contact photos
Google Now search application
Multichannel audio
USB audio (for external sound DACs)
Audio chaining (also known as gapless playback)
Stock Android browser is replaced with the Android mobile version of Google Chrome in devices with Android 4.1 preinstalled[78]
Ability for other launchers to add widgets from the app drawer without requiring root access

4.1.1 July 23, 2012

Fixed a Bug on the Nexus 7 regarding the non-ability to change screen orientation.

4.1.2 October 9, 2012

Lock/home screen rotation support for the Nexus 7
One-finger gestures to expand/collapse notifications
Bug fixes and performance enhancements

4.2 October 29, 2012

Photo Sphere panorama photos
Keyboard with gesture typing
Lockscreen improvements, including widget support and the ability to swipe directly to camera
Notification power controls
"Daydream" screensaver, shows information when idle or docked
Multiple user accounts (tablets only)
Support for wireless display (Miracast)
Accessibility improvements: triple-tap to magnify the entire screen, pan and zoom with two fingers. Speech output and Gesture Mode navigation for blind users.
New clock app with built-in world clock, stop watch and timer

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I bought a refurbished HTC Flyer in February, hardware was powerful enough but little development and being cut off at honeycomb is the biggest reason I am a nexus 7 owner now. Nexus devices are easy to develop for and they get updates first and no manufacturer skins. I got the nexus 7 because of software not hardware. The way I see it, phones are disposable pleasures you almost can't blame manufacturers for not supporting them when people are all about upgrading as soon as they can but I bought the flyer with intentions of keeping it a while and I really feel like I got burnt on it.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

HTC are a bit of a pain with updates I feel the same way with my desire I got it with 2.1 got it updated once to 2.2 and then nothing else at all. I think its silly and that's why I got a nexus tablet at least you are gonna get updates and I think its a reason why HTC are suffering because they burnt a lot of customers.

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone gotten the 4.2 update on their N7 yet? I'm wondering when that will come out. Or do you know if it is already live on the 32GB N7?

I think it will be like the nexus 7 mine came with 4.0 then got prompted to update straight away.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone gotten the 4.2 update on their N7 yet? I'm wondering when that will come out. Or do you know if it is already live on the 32GB N7?

Its not live yet.. The code hasn't even been pushed to AOSP :)

Our OTAs will likely start rolling out around when devices start shipping with 4.2 (i.e. The Nexus 10 and 4). This might still be a while.. I don't believe a date has been confirmed yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

stevehopman77

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Its not live yet.. The code hasn't even been pushed to AOSP :)

Our OTAs will likely start rolling out around when devices start shipping with 4.2 (i.e. The Nexus 10 and 4). This might still be a while.. I don't believe a date has been confirmed yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

That's basically what I was thinking. I was wondering if Nov. 13th might be the next magic day for Android when the masses actually get their hands on the Nexus 4 and 10?

GKWANNABE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm assuming by now you have received your answer? Since your question in Oct, we've received 4.2.

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I never buy a gadget expecting an update. I buy a gadget for what it does today. If it does something even better tomorrow, great. I had no idea my N7 would get OS updates--that is a nice surprise.

This is why Samsung pushes updates via Kies. They said that many people buy a device and like what's on it already, so rather than giving you annoying OTA updates, they make it an option.

socialcarpet

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I totally understand and agree with you. However, all the top of the line Nokia Lumias running WP7 never got WP8. I'm sure the hardware could've handled it. How do we know Google won't do something similar?

The old single core Nokia Lumia's running Windows Phone 7 were using the old Windows CE based kernel.

With Windows Phone 8, Microsoft moved to a completely new NT hybrid kernel. It was felt that Windows 8 should require dual-core processors and they did not want to re-write drivers for the older phones.

The situation with Android is different, it's been on the same kernel, albeit with some revisions, the whole time. I don't see a major shift like this in Android's future, or even Windows Phone's future. The new Windows Phone is designed for the long haul, the NT kernel can handle up to a 64 core processor(!) so it's here to stay. The CE based kernel was really just a stop gap measure for the first two years before the fully developed NT hybrid kernel that would tie into the Windows desktop OS was ready.