Will the Nexus 7 get Android 4.2 Key Lime Pie?

henywatty

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 7 running 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, just wondering if anyone knows for sure whether it will get the 4.2 Key Lime Pie update?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Whatever it's called, yes, of course. A Nexus device is pretty much guaranteed updates for at least 2 years or more :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
you will get 4.2 which is not key lime pie but still jelly bean. you will also get Key lime pie (5.0) and the next version which starts with L and also a couple of more versions.

I have a 2 year old nexus S which came with 2.3.4 gingerbread. i got 2.3.6 then 4.0.4 ICS came out. then JB came out for my devcie.

I am sure i will get 4.1.2 and keylime pie maybe but i am not counting on it. i will buy a new nexus. I am happy that i got all these updated for 2 years.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
There's no rule or anything on how many updates a Nexus device will get. So saying that the device will get "2 more updates" or anything like that isn't exactly accurate.

The truth is, Google will update the device as long as the hardware can handle it. The Nexus One didn't get ICS because it can't handle it hardware-wise. The Nexus S probably won't get Android 5 (and there's even a chance it won't see 4.2) because of its aging hardware.

The Nexus 7 and LG Nexus are both quad-core devices so they'll see updates for quite a while but even the Galaxy Nexus will start to feel old and sluggish as time goes on. The processor it's using isn't the best (nor was it the best when it released).

Basically, if your Nexus device's hardware can support it, you will most likely get the update. If not, then you just won't. There's no law or rule or anything, just simply that.

henywatty

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
There's no rule or anything on how many updates a Nexus device will get. So saying that the device will get "2 more updates" or anything like that isn't exactly accurate.

The truth is, Google will update the device as long as the hardware can handle it. The Nexus One didn't get ICS because it can't handle it hardware-wise. The Nexus S probably won't get Android 5 (and there's even a chance it won't see 4.2) because of its aging hardware.

The Nexus 7 and LG Nexus are both quad-core devices so they'll see updates for quite a while but even the Galaxy Nexus will start to feel old and sluggish as time goes on. The processor it's using isn't the best (nor was it the best when it released).

Basically, if your Nexus device's hardware can support it, you will most likely get the update. If not, then you just won't. There's no law or rule or anything, just simply that.

I totally understand and agree with you. However, all the top of the line Nokia Lumias running WP7 never got WP8. I'm sure the hardware could've handled it. How do we know Google won't do something similar?

Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I totally understand and agree with you. However, all the top of the line Nokia Lumias running WP7 never got WP8. I'm sure the hardware could've handled it. How do we know Google won't do something similar?

Google is pushing the Nexus brand hard right now. They want to create a following in line with what fruity fruit has, but with way better stuff lol. As previously stated, if the hardware on the device can handle to update, the device will get it. I would imagine that the Nexus 7 will see many many updates. I would think that the Gnex will receive it's fair share of updates as well. I have no numbers to support the next sentence, just guessing that the Gnex outsold the previous Nexus devices, maybe combined. Again, no numbers, just using common sense in that the Gnex was released on more carriers and that the smartphone market is the more prominent market these days.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

With absolute certainty? We don't. We also don't know if Apple will offer the next version of iOS to the iPad Mini. But based on the past history of both companies, I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that as long as the hardware is capable of running the latest and greatest, the latest and greatest will be offered for it in a timely fashion (remember, we're talking a Nexus device here, not a carrier-branded one).

When there is some hardware requirement to Android Maraschino or Nutty Fudge or Orangesicle or Poptart or Qwisp, the Nexus 7 will remain the playground of ROM enthusiasts for a while, then slowly fade away as with all things technological.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site

The WP7 to WP8 issue was caused by Microsoft. Not by Nokia's choice. Microsoft chose to make no upgrade path. It was their choice to make no previous hardware compatible.

horseflesh

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I never buy a gadget expecting an update. I buy a gadget for what it does today. If it does something even better tomorrow, great. I had no idea my N7 would get OS updates--that is a nice surprise.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm positive we'll get whatever is the next version of Android OS. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Google is pushing the Nexus brand hard right now. They want to create a following in line with what fruity fruit has, but with way better stuff lol. As previously stated, if the hardware on the device can handle to update, the device will get it. I would imagine that the Nexus 7 will see many many updates. I would think that the Gnex will receive it's fair share of updates as well. I have no numbers to support the next sentence, just guessing that the Gnex outsold the previous Nexus devices, maybe combined. Again, no numbers, just using common sense in that the Gnex was released on more carriers and that the smartphone market is the more prominent market these days.

Only to add what you said, it is also a point that the greatest issue Android has, which has lead to still having a lot of "Check out our app for iOS, android to come later" development, is the fragmentation. The iOs Fragmentation is so minimal it gives a good chance for developers to code on the latest iOs device and say allow it to work but say it only works iPhone 3 and up, and now tih iOS 6, iPhone 4+. The majority of people only in the last year has gotten to gingerbread and ICS finally has gotten to 25%, but with developers like Motorola (google really I know) who just dumped a bunch of phones so they didn't update them, it leaves old versions out there needing to sit for 2 years. Anything Google CAN do to minimize this, they will do until the Hardware won't let them.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I knew it, they will not give us unlimited upgrades and screw us by delaying an upgrade by a month just to exclude us. Hey Google your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries, I fart in your general direction. Oh wait, my device works great and I am getting timely updates..... never mind. Move along, nothing to see here.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

henywatty

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
The WP7 to WP8 issue was caused by Microsoft. Not by Nokia's choice. Microsoft chose to make no upgrade path. It was their choice to make no previous hardware compatible.

Sorry, I phrased that wrong. I meant that Microsoft pulled support, not Nokia.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10