Internet security on the Nexus 7?

jillmac

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

Forgive me if I am being a bit dim but am new to all this!

Should I be downloading internet security for my nexus? Everything I've read talks about rogue apps and downloading from reputable sources but I'm more thinking about internet browsing. Is it the same thing?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: internet security on the nexus 7?

Internet browsing will be fine, most virus's are designed for windows. Really you don't need AntiVirus just don't install any ol app from anywhere and you will be fine. Just use the playmarket and read the reviews.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Android Central Forums

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Agreed, most viruses are still designed for windows however you should still use your own discretion. Don't go anywhere or download anything shady just to be safe.

I'm sure things are changing in the virus world, as not too long ago read about mobile devices clicking on links that can wipe your android phone or destroy your simm card. Supposedly goggle has patched that vulnerability.

IF you really feel like you need a security blanket, you can try Lookout Security & Antivirus from the play store. I haven't used it in ages but read an article that it was updated to offer better services than before.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lookout&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

I'm trying the free Norton Security (or is it Norton Antivirus? whatever, you can find it on the Play Store) on my N7. I use Lookout on my phone because its in the firmware anyway.

Both are for scanning apps and ensuring they're benign. Still, you should not install anything and everything and expect that your device will never need help.

For security -- as in help if it's lost, stolen -- I like Cerberus. For a one-time fee, you get a plethora of very nice features for up to 5ive devices. Way better (and cheaper) than Lookout Premium.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Anyone saying you don't need some type of AV or internet security are steering you wrong. Google it, you will find may reviews on AV/Security apps for Android devices and the need for them. Apple users also said many times "it's a windows problem, don't worry about it". They don't say that anymore. Your device is an open window, and you have a lot of valuable things that people "out there" want, some just to see if they can, others for more malicious reasons. Get something, read, research. FYI I use Avast for my device app security, it can scan messages as well. You do know it's possible to get virus' and other malicious things via SMS/MMS text right?

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

You do know it's possible to get virus' and other malicious things via SMS/MMS text right?

Reminds me, don't click on any shortened links that you don't know or trust the sender. Seems like many malicious things are using shortened links to hidden behind.

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

I use AVG free for my antivirus. Does anyone recommend using a software firewall? 99% of the time I'm behind my home router, but there are those occasional trips to Starbucks...

veevans01

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

I am using lookout for my phone and Nexus 7. Works pretty good. AVG also works good as well. Both received great reviews from pcmag.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Ward510

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

When I got my N7 from Currys/PC World it came with two years free Norton Tablet Security. I would certainly recommend some sort of anti-virus protection if you are going online. I have the free AVG on my Andoid HTC Hero mobile phone - I used to work with Orange and you would be surprised just how many customers discovered they had a virus on their phone. So there's no way I would use any device to access the internet without anti-virus.

Tidey_

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

Avast! Internet Security, it's installed on my Laptop, my rooted HTC Desire S and my Nexus 7. It has really good features and keeps everything safe. There's a cool feature on the Internet where you can keep track of your devices and if your device is rooted you can do loads more in terms of anti-theft! It scans any app that is downloaded so I know that my devices are secure, especially as I regularly use all 3 for mobile banking! Hope this helps :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site

?[Virus] companies are playing on your fears to try to sell you bs protection software for Android, RIM and IOS. They are charlatans and scammers. IF you work for a company selling virus protection for android, rim or IOS you should be ashamed of yourself,? DiBona said on his Google+ page.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/114765095157367281222/posts/ZqPvFwdDLPv
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

fountaindale

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site

I've had Avast for years but after trying to navigate their website and "24/7 phone support" I'm switching. Great product, horrible operations and website. I lost all respect for Avast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech