Is this a bad time to buy a Nexus 7?

MetalClad

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys. I have been waiting a while to see if Apple offered a Mini before making any decisions on which tablet to purchase. However, it doesn't seem like the Mini is going to surface so I figure I'll just get the Nexus 7. My only worry is if now is the best time to buy one? I've read speculation about a possible upgrade in the model line (32GB of storage, for example) and I also worry a bit about defects.

So... should I wait a month or so? Or should I just take the plunge? Should I look for a C80 or C90 model?

MetalClad

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
All the cool people own Nexus 7's.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Maybe so, but that's not really answering my question :confused:

I'm not asking if I should buy the Nexus 7, just if this is a good time or if I should wait for a possible upgrade coming soon (or bug fixes). I know some people have insider information.

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
The N7 is a really nice machine at a reasonable price. Since Apple is supposedly going to make the big announcement in about 10 days you might want to wait. Then you can decide maybe whether you want the walled garden with the Apple and the Snake or the wild west of Android. Do you really want the advice of unknown outsiders on this choice. I like my Ford Ranger if you are interested in buying a pickup.

MetalClad

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
The N7 is a really nice machine at a reasonable price. Since Apple is supposedly going to make the big announcement in about 10 days you might want to wait. Then you can decide maybe whether you want the walled garden with the Apple and the Snake or the wild west of Android. Do you really want the advice of unknown outsiders on this choice. I like my Ford Ranger if you are interested in buying a pickup.

Again, I think you missed the question.

I did not ask if I should get the iPad or the Nexus 7. I asked if I should wait to buy the Nexus 7 to see if they come out with an upgrade or fixes to the bugs that I have read about here. I figured someone may know this. I also asked if I should attempt to get a certain serial number.

Do you really want the advice of unknown outsiders on this choice. I like my Ford Ranger if you are interested in buying a pickup.
I would like the advice from people who know more about this device and the industry than me. There is no need to be condescending about it. What's the point of having forums if people can't discuss what they know and their opinions?

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there is ever a bad time to buy the 7. Sure they might release a 32 gig version the day after you buy the 16gig but who cares? I have never experienced buyers remorse like some. I never second guess my self. If you want one now get it now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how interested you are in the iPad Mini. If it's something you'd consider buying, I may not worry too much about the delay rumors yet, they may not be real. Who knows. But I really don't think the iPad mini price will be competitive with the Nexus 7.

As for the 32GB situation. More unknown stuff. It's coming I'm sure. But at what price and what does it do with the prices of the existing Nexus 7s, if anything. We don't know. So hard to say if you should wait. Depends on your patience level. Though I'd definitely wait if you feel you want the larger capacity size.

There is a chance existing Nexus 7s could drop in price with the arrival of the 32GB model. But we really don't know. There are hints it might happen, but we don't know. If a 16GB size is all you need, then it's a gamble on if you want to keep waiting on the chance of it's price dropping, which it possibly may or may not.

Me, I returned my 16GB Nexus 7. I miss it a little, but I have an iPad 3 to hold me over, so I'm able to wait and see what happens. I'd like the 32GB size mostly (probably wouldn't have returned mine if I was okay with the 16GB size). Hopefully by the end of the month we'll have answers.

Lazer1

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I think this is a great time to buy... with some foot dragging. Apple is rumored to announce the iPad mini on the 23rd, and it sounds like Google will expose the 32gb on the 24th. Microsoft is set to release their 7" tablet on the 26th. It's a cat/dog fight in the making.

Here is some confirmation on the Nexus 7 32GB: Google Nexus 7 32GB (Asus Nakasi) Detailed Specs | Technical Datasheet | PDAdb.net

Having typed that, I don't know where PDADB gets their information. Of interest, Walmart and Staples no longer show the 8GB model on their sites. Amazon is showing they have one 8GB left in stock. Prices have been listed on a couple of European sites for the Nexus 7 32GB at the same price at the 16GB model's current price. I think we'll see the 8GB model disappear and the 16GB model drop to $200 or so –speculation on my part.

But yeah, it's a great time to buy a tablet!

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Depends if you'll be satisfied with the 8 or 16 GB. I purchased mine in late September. I don't regret it, though if you are willing to wait a little longer, hopefully by the end of October, we can see what is happening in the tablet field. It's possible there maybe price drops or maybe not and choices can change.

F0REVERY0UNG-

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I would say that it's always a good time to buy such an amazing and affordable device.
If I were you I would go ahead and get the 16GB version and if a 32GB version comes out before the holidays the 16GB one will make a great holiday gift for someone in your life.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
If you have the option to wait it out a few weeks, I would highly suggest you do so.

The consumer tech market is in a stat of flux, as it is always at this time of the year, with a lot of announcements and releases, so its best to just sit tight and see what others have to offer for a few weeks before deciding. :)

quadtronix

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Everyday is a great day to buy the 7!! :) Something else will always be on the horizon... 32GB, Nexus 10, IPad mini... but every day you wait is another day you could be enjoying that HD, quad core, jelly bean packing beast for 199...

Plus the mini is supposed to be coming without retina and will cost a lot more according to the rumors...

I would get the 7 ASAP... just my opinion.

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I say buy it at Walmart and you have 15 days to hear about something better all while enjoying it then return it or keep it

I did that while I still had the KFHD in my hand and ended up keeping the N7 I bought from Walmart and returning the KFHD. LOL!

Warning: Addiction to the N7 may occur :)

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. I have been waiting a while to see if Apple offered a Mini before making any decisions on which tablet to purchase. However, it doesn't seem like the Mini is going to surface so I figure I'll just get the Nexus 7. My only worry is if now is the best time to buy one? I've read speculation about a possible upgrade in the model line (32GB of storage, for example) and I also worry a bit about defects.

So... should I wait a month or so? Or should I just take the plunge? Should I look for a C80 or C90 model?

Yes, wait. Particularly because you're asking.

You missed out on the $25 Play Store/Wallet credit, which could come back for holiday shopping. There may also be renewed lineup of a 16gb and 32gb models. Others have rightly pointed out that both Google and Apple have product announcements coming up. Only those with immediate needs buy products on the eve of such events....

Holiday shopping season is right around the corner, and tablets will again be a hot item. Cutthroat pricing, bundles, and possible rebates galore....

Wait and watch. .

nemov888

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Jingle Bells

Bad time to buy....

I read your question and I am in exactly the same boat. Have decided against the iPad mini - as someone else said; it is unlikely to be as good value as the Nexus 7... and I found out recently that there is a torrent client available on the Play Store, as well as access to the Tor network available through Android - not so with Apple I presume.

So in terms of timing... Comet have the 16Gb Nexus for ?189 at the moment - I assume because they are selling stock before the 32Gb comes in. Any big tech company should be bringing out the big guns for Christmas, so i would say November is the best time to buy - all the latest tablets should have been released by then, surely....

What are you thinking? Be interested to hear....

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Jingle Bells

If you don't absolutely need a tablet right now, you might as well wait. there are a crapton of new tablets coming out soon (though most are 10"). if you'd prefer a hypothetical iPad mini, at least wait until Oct 23rd. As for a 32GB N7--if it exists and you wouldn't mind paying more $$--I doubt it would be released for at least a couple months.

So if you're patient enough to wait until the end of the year, and you don't want a tablet this week, ehhh just wait. Otherwise, just go for it.

veevans01

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
If you want to get a Nexus 7 now go for it. If you can hold out until the newer nexus 7 models come out then wait for it to see if there are more features than what is offered on the current models. I've had mine for about a month and haven't looked back. I know that I won't be disappointed with my purchase even if newer models come out soon. I have the 8gb model. If I want to watch movies or listen to music not stored on it I connect my flash drive to it and do so. Yes I am unrooted. I have said in a few threads that I own the new iPad and the N7. The N7 wins.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon