Youtube or streaming video stops after screen lock

balus3u

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
From the starting of the nexus 7 use, I found this annoying thing about youtube videos or all the video streaming. after the screen lock, when I turn on the screen, the streaming gets canceled and the buffering starts again. Let's say I'm watching a 20 minute video, and i usually pause the video till the buffering is completed, and my screen locks after 30 seconds ,during that 30 seconds about 5 minutes of the video is loaded and screen is locked.now when I remove the scren lock and play the video, it starts to buffer again from starting.

I thought may be one of battery saving app is causing the problem ,while trying to save battery but then I formatted the nexus 7 and realized its not the app.now I'm on 4.1.2.
I want to know if it's only happening to me or a common problem and is there is any way to fix this problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

balus3u

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
As none of you people have a solution. the only solution now I have is to get the app 'keep screen' which blocks my screen from locking while the selected app is playing ,in my case YouTube. so I don't have to keep touch the screen to keep the buffering finish. hope anyone has a better solution.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
or increase the timeout period to 2 or 5 minutes. other than that your solution seems to be a better solution.
its a youtube app issue rather than Android itself. why do u pause until it buffers? i usually dont do it. the app itself do a good job of streaming content while playing.

also you can preload "watch later" and "subscription" you can look into that.

balus3u

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Okay. I will look in to that. good to know that it's a common issue. Thanks for the reply

Mongooze2

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I've found that annoying as well. Anytime I pause a video and the screen locks it has to start over on buffering, I'll have to look into that app you mentioned it sounds like a good solution

balus3u

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Set your screen timeout higher.

But the above app is a better solution as we only need a longer timeout for specific apps. otherwise every time I will have to change the timeout settings manually. but this little app save all those trouble :)

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Slightly unrelated, but this might make life easier.

"Power Toggles" is great app for when you want to alter settings without exiting what you're doing. It's just a bar that stays in your notifications Window, and you can adjust things like wifi, blue tooth, screen settings, etc. You can also add shortcuts to other apps--I have a screen dimmer there. It's just infinitely more convenient if you want to adjust screen timeout and whatnot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-10-15-01-24-17.png
    Screenshot_2012-10-15-01-24-17.png
    418.8 KB · Views: 19

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Slightly unrelated, but this might make life easier.

"Power Toggles" is great app for when you want to alter settings without exiting what you're doing. It's just a bar that stays in your notifications Window, and you can adjust things like wifi, blue tooth, screen settings, etc. You can also add shortcuts to other apps--I have a screen dimmer there. It's just infinitely more convenient if you want to adjust screen timeout and whatnot.

Niiiiiice! Like the Quick Settings Notification drop down on HTC Sense 3.x/4.x, but more intuitive and far more useful. Can you change which toggles are displayed in the Notification area like you can a toolbar?

FYI HD Widgets has "dashboard" bars you can configure with any kind of combination of toggles you like, in any number of customized toolbars ... and the developer has lots of settings/controls available. One of the better 25? sale purchases I made.

Last edited:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
But the above app is a better solution as we only need a longer timeout for specific apps. otherwise every time I will have to change the timeout settings manually. but this little app save all those trouble :)

I have the screen timeout set as high as possible for every device I own. When I way the screen to turn off, I tap the power button. To each their own, but I often run apps that I want displayed for a while without me having to keep the device alive. And I feel I'm managing my battery more effectively by just having a simple habit of tapping the power button when setting the device down our when I won't need the screen for a while.

Firespyer

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
or increase the timeout period to 2 or 5 minutes. other than that your solution seems to be a better solution.
its a youtube app issue rather than Android itself. why do u pause until it buffers? i usually dont do it. the app itself do a good job of streaming content while playing.

also you can preload "watch later" and "subscription" you can look into that.

I do not have the pre load option on my N7 or my TF201. Do you?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

brandon bantheirass

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
in certain instances, you may just want to listen to audio and want the screen off.
i don't think that's too much to ask, and stupendously just brick after brick thus far.
quite exotically odd.

rubrnek

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I do this by sharing the video through the YouTube app to sempervidlinks and opening in bs player.

YouTube app ---> sempervidlinks ----> view in BS player

BS player has an option for background play

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01