Is the Playbook better than the Nexus 7..how?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Man, I still think OS/2 should have won the race. It was so superior to anything in its time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed. I still have my install discs for warp 3. The downfall was the same thing that made it so powerful. It was so configurable it would confuse even us geeks.

OS/2 was a clear case of function over form, and a year wasn't enough of a head start. When Windows 95 came out, even the diehards knew warp was doomed.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

juanchy

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I own both, Nexus 7 and PB 32GB. The PB is the biggest POS I have ever seen. And I was a die hard BB fan. That device is completely worthless. For the money there is nothing better than the Nexus 7. By the way I also own an IPad 3 which I consider better than the Nexus 7 but it cost a lot more. The crackberry fans live in complete and utterly denial on the reality of BB devices.

djnshores

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I own both, Nexus 7 and PB 32GB. The PB is the biggest POS I have ever seen. And I was a die hard BB fan. That device is completely worthless. For the money there is nothing better than the Nexus 7. By the way I also own an IPad 3 which I consider better than the Nexus 7 but it cost a lot more. The crackberry fans live in complete and utterly denial on the reality of BB devices.

I owned a PB16B and I would disagree with you in part that the PB is a POS. I have since sold it. My beef was the lack of apps in the Blackberry app store. The ones they do have cost way more than their Android equivalent. There were few developers writing any new apps. It lacked many of my favorite apps, like Netflix, Skype, etc. But the final straw was the poor implementation of Android apps in OS 2.0. RIM has nobody but themselves to blame for the mess. I doubt they can ever recover now.

djnshores

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
If playbook ran a true android experience it would no doubt be much better than the nexus 7. I have both and replying from N7. The only time I use my playbook any more is when I'm connecting the HDMI to watch movies on larger screen. The blackberry ecosystem sucks big time. RIM should adopt more of the android ecosystem because they really do make nice hardware.

My sentiments exactly. And RIM has nobody to blame but themselves. As an example, Angry Birds cost $.99 in the Google store and Amazon. I can use almost all of the Android apps I purchased on Amazon on my Nexus 7. In contrast, I had to purchase the app again. Angry Birds was around $5 I recall. The PB was just not competitive.

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I guess I will have to explain my unintelligent comment for you. Even though it is seriously unintelligent, you didn't seem to understand it. Kind of odd but ok.

How many apps can you interact with or use at one time. With its 12+ running apps. How many of those apps can you see running? How many of those apps can you hear running? The answer on my Nexus 7 is 1.5. I can see 1 app running and I can hear 1 app running. Making the app I hear a half. The PlayBook you can see and/or hear several apps running at once. It really wasn't that hard was it?

Please explain to me how you are using all those apps on your N7 all at once, cause that's some magically stuff right there. I'd love to see screen shots of your 12+ opened and running apps all at once. All of them just sharing that same screen space. I mean since you can run all those apps at once, I guess the YouTube + Pandora test is no problem for your N7. I sure can't do it on mine. But what do I know.

Background processes don't necessarily equate to real multitasking. You do realize that right? My PC has 84 background processes running right now, yet I only have firefox open. That's crazy man I'm using 84 programs right now. Just multitasking like a beast. LOL

I'll preface my comment by saying I do not own a PlayBook nor have I ever seen one outside of a non-working display unit at my local staples. I just wanted to mention that on My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 I can in fact have and interact with upto 4 foreground apps at once in the leaked JB update, this is up from 2 apps at once in the stock ICS rom.

Dwiarten

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
The BlackBerry PlayBook is diffidently still a very good tablet. Far as low-level side of hardware, it’s not a whole lot to compare except a quad-core ARM-core CPU, more higher performance graphics chip and a more higher resolution density. The dual HD camera’s on the PlayBook still blows the Nexus 7 camera out of the water along with multi platform support from running Android Apps, BlackBerry Java apps, Adobe AIR apps and native PlayBook apps. The PlayBook can also act as a Network drive that most tablets can’t do, wireless transfer your files back in forth from your computer and the PlayBook tablet without touching a single wire.The Appworld is still growing but still need to see more quality apps than simple garbage apps. Plus the new PlayBook LTE/4G was announced with the ability to connect to BlackBerry Enterprise servers and latest networking technologies. Not last but not lease the secuirty of the PlayBook tablet tops over any other tablet on the market. BlackBerry is known for “Government level” security.

Last edited:

OneZeoN

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
OK I bought a 64gb playbook 11 days ago and thought it was good...but some annoying issues.

Web pages would load quite slowly and sometimes not at all.
Also Facebook and twitter was a chore to use!

After swapping it thinking it was faulty I decided to take it back for the nexus 7...and OMG what a difference!

All sites I use load fast and smooth and Facebook and twitter are finally worth using.

Like how I got ?15 free credit as well...nice surprise: D

The playbook is a nice bit of kit but not as good as the nexus other than it had more space and lovely speakers.

Very happy nexus user now!

ungibbed

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, among all the gadgets I have, including an iPad 2, I find myself still using my PlayBook quite often. I do love the rear camera and stereo microphones built into it along with front facing stereo speakers. I no longer have a BlackBerry phone but the nonsense of getting the most use out of the PlayBook is long gone. Plenty of games keep showing up more and more by surprise but my main use for it is other than my phone, it's the best PIM device I've used in years.

Email long being the staple of RIM, has put a great email app on the PlayBook and calendar. Gmail accounts are supported and multiple gmail and other email services are handled extremely well.

Web browsing on it is (aside from the small display) a true no compromise experience. Running like a true PC style web browser. HTML 5 is there, Flash is there (with Adobe Air). I'm able to download zip archives and extract the contents which my iPad still can't do. On the other hand I can also upload images, video, documents created in the bundled office application (docs to go), really, I haven't found anything that little 7" monster can't do. There is a newer LTE model available with a faster dual core CPU (dual core 1.5Ghz compared to the original dual core 1Ghz wifi original).

The major difference between the two really is age and consumer stigmatism. I find it to be a wonderful device on its own but most will hate just because its a BlackBerry device instead of a Google branded device. Didn't we have an editorial recently about blind hate?

Don't knock it till you try it!

Blkacesvf41

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I do have a PB and yes those speakers facing you are awesome. It is a very good device. Its flaw is the lack of apps. Even the apps that it does have such as Kobo or Zinio are not as optimized as they're for Android or iOS. For its age the rear facing camera is really, really good. The one thing I hated about my N7 was the no choice portrait home screen, so thank God that's fixed.

ungibbed

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
They are morons, they are like I sheep who are ignorant and trying to justify their horrible decision and purchase

You must be the type with blinders on only focusing on what you're holding. I have four tablets and countless other gadgets that I'm willing to try instead of silly comments like yours.

In my tablet collection, a 32GB PlayBook, 64GB iPad 2, a rather interesting Android tablet made by LePan (very nice build quality) and micro SD expandable), and some older Windows XP embedded systems.

Clearly no fanboy here, only a fan of tech itself.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

If you hate it that much, I'll take it, just to play with. ;)

Hey, worth trying, right? (grin)

Stocklone

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad I'm not the only who still enjoys using the Playbook despite owning newer Android tablets. Bezel gestures will always beat tapping tiny buttons.

One more thing. Android fanboys are as bad as iFanboys. Found that out as soon as I started liking the PB and WP7 now WP8. They were constantly jumping down my throat at the mere mention of liking another platform. I used to defend Android like crazy. After I got to play outside the bubble I realized Android wasn't the be all end all of mobile platforms. That being said, JellyBean is amazing and Google is on the right path.

speculatrix

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I bought a BB playbook because it was cheap and solid - basically to be a web browser and email client for my mother who has no clue how to care for electronics!

it works OK, the browser is reasonable but buggy (clicking in input fields or text boxes doesn't always work properly).

relatively poor choice of apps

there's no way I'd have bought it for myself (or wife or children, all of whom would want the complete Android experience and access to android market).

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
PB and anything blackberry at this point is a risky experiment in my view. If they can bring BB10 to market and it started picking up steam in 2013/14, then I will start glancing at what they have to offer. Personally, I don't think they can recover from the mess I have screamed about for years on cb.com. Crackberry fans are the most resistant individuals I have ever come across! They are the kind of folks that would be at the far back hull of the titanic while its sinking and still say "this is the finest boat ever made!"

ffosse

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm loving my new Nexus 7 - the only thing the Playbook had going for it - in my opinion - was the price and storage capacity.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad I'm not the only who still enjoys using the Playbook despite owning newer Android tablets. Bezel gestures will always beat tapping tiny buttons.

One more thing. Android fanboys are as bad as iFanboys. Found that out as soon as I started liking the PB and WP7 now WP8. They were constantly jumping down my throat at the mere mention of liking another platform. I used to defend Android like crazy. After I got to play outside the bubble I realized Android wasn't the be all end all of mobile platforms. That being said, JellyBean is amazing and Google is on the right path.

Well each side has its bad apples. :) (No pun intended)

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I own both and posted this recently in a similar thread on Crackberry following the same topic:

"I have to say the N7 is the tablet I had hoped the PlayBook would be when I bought it, then when they updated it and promised Android apps to fill the void (which didn't), and now with 2.1 I still cannot do things with the ease of use I can on the N7. I can site a few examples:

1. I am sorry Skype is important to me and I use it on the N7. Is it perfect, no. But it's better than the alternative on the PB. I travel for business and it's nice to take the Tablet on overnight trips and leave the laptop home.
2. I am a sports fan. I get the MLB and NHL apps and watch the games easily on Android. Unfortunately with the NHL strike I can't say how well the games work on the N7 but the MLB games are great and with the MLB app for Android it's easy to go from game to game and look in and see whats up. I play fantasy baseball and it's a nice way to check up on my team even when I am sitting on the couch and the girlfriend wants to watch a movie or one of her shows on the big screen, oh Miggy Cabrera is up lets see what he's gonna do...Can't do that easily on PB and by the time you did probably too late. You can't watch baseball at all on the native browser, hockey either. There is a "work around" using simple browser but it's virtually impossible to flutter in from game to game.
3. I know there are ways to side load popular apps like WWF and Kindle but my experience with multiple Android apps on the PB has been a PITA - though I am going to give PB another chance now with 2.1 and see if the ability to open multiple Android apps is any better now. I had taken the Android apps off PB but I am devoting Saturday morning to giving it another go and reload. However, it goes without saying if I want to go from WWF to Kindle to the Baseball game back to the Kindle its super easy on the N7 just hold the home key and go from app to app.
4. This one probably isn't fair but I use Google services a lot and GDrive, G+ and GMusic just work better on Android. Box or Dropbox is fine for somethings I like GDrive better. Personal preference.

Those are just a couple/three/four instances that come to my mind - I am sure I can find more if I want to. I believe those who say that "email is better on the PB" I not sure I understand what you mean. Both use the same ActiveSync and they work virtually the same IMHO. We use a MS Exchange server and I guarantee you I get my email on the N7, my 9810 and my PB at about the same time mas o menos and they all allow me to do most of the same things, the PB and N7 are virtually identical in the way they deal with email. I also have a POP personal account and feel the experience is identical. I can't speak for IMAP.

I sideloaded Flash and simply with FireFox beta have no troubles watching Flash at all not sure what troubles others are having, and I love the ability to sync Chrome to all of my devices I wish we had that ability on PB, not to mention I like the way Chrome uses traditional tabs in the browser I am not a fan of the way the PB browser does it.

I have my PB until BB10 comes out because I believe that finally after 2 years BB10 will solve many of my problems and I will finally see a BB tablet that I had hoped I would get when I paid a lot of money for the PB back in Nov 2011. I have been a vocal critic of the PB in this forum I believe the device has so much unused potential its really sad the PB had to take a back seat while RIM goes full bore on BB10 (which I understand and support - PB was wrong place wrong time)."

And when someone can convince me the need to have 3 or 4 videos playing at the same time I will concede the point to PlayBook but my N7 runs 2 just fine. PB uses Android 2.3 for it's emulator as well and is wonky at best on the PB and outright unstable at worst.

Last edited:

BlastTyrant

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I guess the YouTube + Pandora test is no problem for your N7.

That's not N7 running out of memory. That's called prioritizing memory. The most recently opened audio file gets priority. I guess RIM must've been assuming that PB users would be smart enough to not try to listen to 2 things at once, therefore didn't think audio files needed to be prioritized. No matter how many processes you've got running, you can only interact with one at a time, period. Web pages, Pandora, YouTube, emails....one at a time. Except for music in the background, of course. Everything except what you're typing, reading, watching or listening to can all be in the background.
And why does everyone make a big deal about the camera on a tablet? I've never, ever seen anyone take a pic using their tablet, anywhere in the country. And I travel a lot. I have an 8MP camera on my ASUS tab, that takes awesome pics. But I'll never use it. I wish it didn't come with a camera at all. Useless waste of money on a tab, IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

Last edited: