What's on the Playground?

NickFromHouston

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
What are your guesses for Google's Oct 29 announcement? Here are mine:

1) A new 32GB Nexus 7. Lowered price points for 8GB and 16GB models. Potentially phasing out the 8GB model.
2) A new 32GB and 64GB Nexus 10. Landscape design with HDMI output, stereo speakers on each side.
3) Nexus 7 and 10 Docking Stations.
4) Revised/improved Nexus Q. Software security measures, and a practical price point.

I don't believe an SD card slot or 4G cellular ability as an option - certainly for the 7 inch models. I do think it's possible a mini-HDMI port might be an option on the Nexus 10.

I also think for the Nexus 7 models we won't see redesigned cases, so existing physical accessories should work for them.

NickFromHouston

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing that the new Nexus phone will be announced as well. It's time for that one.

That's a good point. They've been in that market with Samsung's Galaxy Nexus in that product space. They are probably going to announce something like a Nexus 5 / 7 / 10 at a minimum, I think.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Nexus phone or phones. Android 4.2. 32gb nexus 7 price drop on others. New play store features. Nexus Q info.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
A new version of Android.
The LG Nexus 4/Optimus Nexus.
The 32GB Nexus 7.
A cellular data-capable Nexus 7.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
What are your guesses for Google's Oct 29 announcement? Here are mine:

1) A new 32GB Nexus 7. Lowered price points for 8GB and 16GB models. Potentially phasing out the 8GB model.
If they retire a model, I think it will be the 16GB. That would leave them with a product line that includes a base model for people who embrace Google's cloud paradigm, plus the 32GB model for people who want more storage.

Another possible market move, which I think is unlikely considering the pics of the 32GB model in inventory systems floating around, is replace the 16GB model with a Nexus 7 that has 8GB built-in plus a micro-SD slot for people to add additional storage themselves.

I would like to see a docking station with HDMI. I don't know if I would buy it, but if I wanted to output to a big screen TV, the bulk of a dock is no big deal. However, until content providers stop discriminating against Android devices...

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
If they retire a model, I think it will be the 16GB. That would leave them with a product line that includes a base model for people who embrace Google's cloud paradigm, plus the 32GB model for people who want more storage.

Another possible market move, which I think is unlikely considering the pics of the 32GB model in inventory systems floating around, is replace the 16GB model with a Nexus 7 that has 8GB built-in plus a micro-SD slot for people to add additional storage themselves.

I would like to see a docking station with HDMI. I don't know if I would buy it, but if I wanted to output to a big screen TV, the bulk of a dock is no big deal. However, until content providers stop discriminating against Android devices...

External storage is against Google thinking and policy.

Dropped by Felix from 24 Miles above the Earth

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I seriously doubt they will announce the next version of android already. If JellyBean were tablet only, like honeycomb was, I would tend to agree that they would release the nest OS. But, because JB is for phones as well as tablets, it will be a while before we see the next version. But, I am only assuming that they won't release 3 versions in just under a year.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Last I heard 4.2 is keeping the jellybean name just a thought but they might announce the next version as all it is is enhancements not a completely new version

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
If they retire a model, I think it will be the 16GB. That would leave them with a product line that includes a base model for people who embrace Google's cloud paradigm, plus the 32GB model for people who want more storage. Another possible market move. . 8GB built-in plus a micro-SD slot.

Pretty sure the 16 GB will be phased out. Assuming the 32GB will be priced at ~$250, their only options are:
1. keep 8GB at $199, making 16GB $220. If so, the 16GB wouldn't sell well, since people willing to upgrade for $20, would probably want to double their storage for only $30 extra.
2. make the 16GB only $199, and have the 32GB at $250
3. keep 8GB at $199, phase out 16GB.

although I'd like to see one, I doubt they'd have model with a micro-SD slot, even if it were priced the same as the 32GB. I mean, you can get 32GB microSD cards for like, 15 bucks a pop now.

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess there is an upside to only having 16GB, that you're the only one with the limited storage and you have a cool discontinued product. That's if the rumors are true.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
This is what I think:

It's obvious they are going to release a new Nexus phone, as there was an official post saying the Galaxy Nexus would be getting "little brother(s)". Notice the "(s)", which may hint the release of multiple Nexus phones.
They are also most likely going to introduce a 32GB Nexus 7.
It is possible that they will release a new Android update, although it would probably be a minor update.
Other minor things.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I hope to see a few new phones as well as the bigger capacity Nexus 7. I think, as others have stated, that the Nexus Q will make an appearance as well. I just find it hard to beleive that Google will announce another OS this soon after 4.1.2 was announced.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
If they go to 4.2 it will be called something else. That's a big jump from a developers view.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

NickFromHouston

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I can't imagine them phasing out a 16GB model and leaving a 8GB model. I mean, let's be honest, the biggest Android-based competitor to the Nexus line is the Kindle Fire HD and they have 16GB and 32GB models. I don't think SD cards are in the mix for either tablet model, given the direction Google is going.

And yeah, I wasn't even thinking about cellphones above at the time, but after I made the first post I thought of it, but was too tired to load the site back up and edit it - it was midnight and I hadda wake up at 5:30am to get to work. :D

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
If they release the 32 gig version, it will have to be priced at $299. Not sure it would be worth it since we have access the cloud.... I am interested in seeing if they are going to announce a 3g/4g version for carriers... This would be an improvement

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If they go to 4.2 it will be called something else. That's a big jump from a developers view.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Look up Android Eclair.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Why would they price it any lower? If they went lower, they would most certainly have to discontinue the 16 gig version. Then they would have an 8 gig and a 32 gig version. That represents a huge gap in levels. Unless they completely rethink their pricing on the current models, they will release the 32 gig at $299

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad