Fast app switching like on iPad

snaqvi91

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
On the iPad it is possible to use multiple fingers to switch between apps back and forth and I find it quite convenient. It's there anything similar on the Nexus 7?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
You can also easily close apps from the window screen (I'm assuming the key with the double cards in the menu bar) from swiping the card left or right.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
You can also easily close apps from the window screen (I'm assuming the key with the double cards in the menu bar) from swiping the card left or right.
That's not closing apps, that view is just "recent apps," with snapshots of them that are cached. Clearing those cached views does free up a few megabytes of member, but the OS will free those up anyway if and when you need them.

There's no prize for keeping lots of available memory like there was in old Windows 3.x and 95.

Hmm isn't there anyway to swipe between apps using 3 fingers.

There is almost certainly an app, or a launcher, that will do that for you. That's how Android rolls.

Try installing a different launcher and home screen app for that iPad... (I don't have one, so I dunno, perhaps there IS one. :confused: ) Nova launch will bring up "Recent apps" with any of a number of gestures (not three-fingered), but not directly task switch.

Last edited:

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
No. Perhaps u should stick with iPad

Wow, and people say Apple fanboys are close minded pr&$ks. Hope you didn't hurt yourself thinking of that witty response.

He asked a simple question, could've just said 'no, nothing that I'm aware of' or words to that effect instead of being snarky.

I was curious as well as I have both devices and find that feature on the iPad useful. Nova launcher has gesture commands but i believe they only work from the home screens. Have a to dig around a little more...

2waterfowl

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Hmm isn't there anyway to swipe between apps using 3 fingers.

I always swipe iProducts with my middle finger. Just sayin'.

In my opinion the 3 finger swipe on the iPad is less efficient than the recent apps button on my Nexus 7. On the iPad you can't preview the apps that are open. You might have to keep swiping if you have more than a couple of apps running to get to the one you want. On the Nexus 7, you get a nice screen preview in order to switch apps.

BTW, Nova Launcher has gestures that will even "start" an app that isn't currently running. Don't remember the iPad having an option like that.

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Is everyone here that threatened by a feature on the iPad that they have to justify why the alternate method is better? I can't seem to find where the OP asked 'what everyone's preferred task switching method was', 'is there a better way to switch between apps?', 'how do I close my apps?' or my 'iPad is better because...' Question seems pretty straight forward yet everyone appears to have a hard time understanding it.

To me clicking Window soft key and choose the app I like is pretty efficient.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I always swipe iProducts with my middle finger. Just sayin'.

In my opinion the 3 finger swipe on the iPad is less efficient than the recent apps button on my Nexus 7. On the iPad you can't preview the apps that are open. You might have to keep swiping if you have more than a couple of apps running to get to the one you want. On the Nexus 7, you get a nice screen preview in order to switch apps.

BTW, Nova Launcher has gestures that will even "start" an app that isn't currently running. Don't remember the iPad having an option like that.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Wow, and people say Apple fanboys are close minded pr&$ks. Hope you didn't hurt yourself thinking of that witty response.

He asked a simple question, could've just said 'no, nothing that I'm aware of' or words to that effect instead of being snarky.

I was curious as well as I have both devices and find that feature on the iPad useful. Nova launcher has gesture commands but i believe they only work from the home screens. Have a to dig around a little more...

Didn't know an honest opinion needs your editorializing. Try to stick to the topic

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Is everyone here that threatened by a feature on the iPad that they have to justify why the alternate method is better? I can't seem to find where the OP asked 'what everyone's preferred task switching method was', 'is there a better way to switch between apps?', 'how do I close my apps?' or my 'iPad is better because...' Question seems pretty straight forward yet everyone appears to have a hard time understanding it.

Wait a minute, how does giving a friendly tip have anything to do with being threatened by an iPad feature. Maybe you're the one feeling unsure.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Didn't know an honest opinion needs your editorializing. Try to stick to the topic

Maybe let the moderators, idk, do the moderating.

The OP asked a simple question, but because an apple product came up people decided to jump into an argument. If you can't or don't want to answer the question then fine. Move on.

Flaming, trolling, or inciting an argument will not be tolerated.

Thanks.

jcsugrue

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
As an owner of iProducts and dozens of Android devices, I'd have to say that both are equal in terms of ease of switching. I just don't think that Android needs to emulate every iOS function available. Pressing one button or soft key is easy enough to switch, and nobody at Apple can claim the idea was stolen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, Kevin.

I DID understand the question, and also see value in the iPad way of doing it. You can quickly switch between two apps -- back and forth, back and forth -- easier than most Android paradigms. The ICS recent apps feature, with its button, is a nice step in a similar direction.

I just realized that maybe an alternate launcher couldn't do this with a gesture, because the launcher apps are activated by "Home," right? You'd need something that intercepts gestures on any screen, in every app. HTC Sense echoes the "recent apps" on its Notification window shade, but ... that's still not quite what OP is asking for. Frankly, with the way Apple is bullying big competitors, I don't see a humble little under-funded developer taking a chance on duplicating an iPad convention and losing his house, car, retirement, and livelihood in a legal defense, or settlement, with Apple.

I test software for a living, so little things like this a) get my attention and b) are interesting for me to analyze ... to a point.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Some of the people in this thread.
5nj97t.gif

Would be awesome to have this feature. I use it all the time on my iPad. I don't think a lot of you know what OP is talking about. He's not asking for the iPad's app switcher that you see when double tapping the home button. He's asking for the multitouch gesture that allows you to switch between your recently used apps by swiping four or five fingers from left to right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_qSsVZ6GCo

1:05

I don't think this would be possible without a custom ROM.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
As others have said, Apple probably has a patent for multi-touch gestures to accomplish the swiping to change apps. So, as for an Android solution, there probably is none, as Apple's legal team would know about it.

Also, another thing, I don't see where a argument was being incited. A lot of us, who come here to read posts and help other users with Android issues get frustrated when a post comes up that states something like "my iphone can do this", or " my ipad can do that".

Just sayin'.

Note2 or Note10, that is the question

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
AFAIK only the US grants spurious software patents, so a poor underfunded developer who lives outside the US could probably implement this feature without fear of being sued by Apple. They may not be able to get it in the Play Store though.

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe let the moderators, idk, do the moderating.

The OP asked a simple question, but because an apple product came up people decided to jump into an argument. If you can't or don't want to answer the question then fine. Move on.

Flaming, trolling, or inciting an argument will not be tolerated.

Thanks.

My apologies, not my intention to incite any sort of argument but rather keep focus on the OP's request, could have chosen my words a bit better.

Also, another thing, I don't see where a argument was being incited. A lot of us, who come here to read posts and help other users with Android issues get frustrated when a post comes up that states something like "my iphone can do this", or " my ipad can do that".

Just sayin'.

Note2 or Note10, that is the question

I understand when someone comes trolling for an argument with nonsense but I thought it was pretty clear the OP was just looking for advice and wasn't trying to convince anyone that this preferred method was better than others. And calling out the responses prior to mine had nothing to do with Apple vs. Android--I'd have done the exact same thing if roles were reversed and this was an Apple forum with the OP looking for advice on how to replicate a feature found on Android. I use both platforms and often saw the same behavior on various Apple forums towards Android users--guess I was just hoping members here were better than that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc